Full size spare wheel

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Full size spare wheel - Page 2 Empty Re: Full size spare wheel

Post by JOHNWALES on Wed May 01, 2019 9:11 am

Fortunately I have not had many punctures over the years; but those that I have had usually involved a slow deflation. I do wonder if I should get a puncture, I use the electric pump to inflate the tyre. Even if you have to repeat the performance every 30 minutes, it could be preferable to the fuss of wheel changing, or gluing up the offending tyre.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by tigersaw on Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:37 pm

Just to update, having got the car I had a rethink, and decided on the genuine Suzuki emergency spare wheel.
Reasons being: It comes with the right slotted jack to match the jacking points, it comes with the polystyrene insert to hold all the tools correctly inside the wheel. and finally the wheel isn't very heavy.
Its a compromise, but anything is better than the supplied sealant snot solution. As an aside, I had a chat with ATS about it, they said 'we will not repair a tyre that's had sealant used'. Plus they reckon (and the user manual hints at it) the TPS may need replacement as well.
tigersaw
tigersaw

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:15 pm

Still think my solution beats all the alternatives !!!

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by tigersaw on Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:06 am

Slow deflation I agree, but I've had several where they would not re-inflate at the roadside.
tigersaw
tigersaw

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:24 pm

Luck of the draw I suppose. But I suppose anything is better than using the glue; having to replace a tyre and TPS is not a cheap option.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by digger06 on Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:44 am

I put a full size wheel in mine, 17 inch, losing the lower floor wasnt a prob, it didnt do much anyway unless u wanted to hide something small..still room to hide stuff anyway nr the wheel .waybetter than a spacesaver, and was cheaper

digger06

Back to top Go down

Post by billywhizz on Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:47 am

just following on with this thread, many thanks too all for the info and leg work already done. ive just bought from openoe a steel wheel and tyre for £81 all in.and delivered. I called them and chatted with them about wheels and tyres and the best solution he came up with was 650x16 steel wheel and a  215/60R16 99 V XL  tyre. a great deal and all that's left now is too find a jack!,,, update went too the local breakers and got a new jack out of a Toyota ,fits the Vitara perfectly and was the rip off price of £3 Very Happy . I finally got the tyre fitted too the rim, so tried the new wheel and tyre on the car and inside the boot. fits inside the boot space perfectly and im still able too put the lower cover over the tyre and lots of space for the tools jump leads and towFull size spare wheel - Page 2 Dsc_0118
Full size spare wheel - Page 2 Dsc_0116
Full size spare wheel - Page 2 Dsc_0117
rope.

Last edited by billywhizz on Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

billywhizz

Back to top Go down

Full size spare wheel - Page 2 Empty Confused.com!

Post by birch on Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:19 pm

I am new to the forum so please be patient with me as I do have the capacity of a gnat to process and retain information!
I have a 2017 Vitara allgrip with 17" alloys and am paranoid about using the wheel repair kit so rather than ordering a spacesaver saw that a steel wheel from openo or my tyres is a good way to go. However as neither of them list 17" wheels would I be right in thinking I need to order a 16" steel wheel and then get a 215/60/16 tyre to make it the same rolling radius as the ones on the car (215/55/17) so I dont cause damage to the allgrip system?
Really glad I found this forum as the is so much help and info on here too :-)

birch

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:31 pm

Welcome to the Forum Birch cheers

The two standard size tyres as you say are 215/60R16 and 215/55R17 so either tyre will be suitable for the Allgrip system as will the factory recommended space saver 135/90R16
Several people have fitted a full size spare in the sizes you quote above but this does interfere with the lower floor/carpet as the boot/spare wheel well depth is designed for the 135/90R16

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by digger06 on Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:00 pm

The lower floor carpet is to hide the pump n seal crap, its designed for a full size wheel, thats why the flexi carpet style floor is removed and the strong real floor is retained when fitting a full size wheel

digger06

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:13 pm

The lower floor carpet (used since 2006 on the SX4 & Fiat Sedici) is designed for the 135 space saver spare wheel, the "pump and crap" wasn't released until 2015 on Vitaras for certain markets (UK included) yet other countries had the 135 space saver as standard hence there being a bracket with captured nut to mount the spare wheel to
The UK S-cross from 2013-2016 also had the same lower floor carpet with a 135 space saver until 2016 when the "pump and crap" was then supplied

No doubt a flexi carpet is used for when you need to temporarily carry a punctured full size wheel but it was never designed to carry a full size spare full time
The strong secondary floor is designed as a false floor to hide away valuables or items not needed on a regular basis as well as creating a flat floor area when you fold the rear seats down and the lower seat squab removed

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by birch on Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:53 pm

Thanks for the reply's I spent ages looking at different sites for spacesavers and nearly lost the will to live so finding this site is a mine of information. I think the full size is the way forward.Much appreciated :-)

birch

Back to top Go down

Post by billywhizz on Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:33 pm

Birch,my post in this thread above yours,explains what ive decided is the best way forwards, Openeo is the tyre firm ive dealt with ,very helpful ,steel wheel and a tyre for £81 delivered . mines due tomorrow. I hope this helps .

billywhizz

Back to top Go down

Post by birch on Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:43 pm

Thanks billywhizz,I have ordered a wheel from openeo and just enlarging my letterbox in case I am out when my delivery arrives! I thought I had a tyre for it in my garage but its a 205/60/R16 so no good but halfway there with a new shiny wheel !

birch

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldie on Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:34 am

Hi everyone ,this will be my first post , I have had a 2019 Vitara 1.6 5 speed manual for about 6 months and found your forum about a full size spare . The rim I used is of a Hyundi 6.5Jx17 et48 pcd 114.3 and a pirelli tyre 215/55/17 which I pick up from a tyre dealer secondhand for AU $130 all in good condition . I have followed all your info and finished the change over with a full floor panel and wheel cover so here are the pics of the finished job.Full size spare wheel - Page 2 0110
Full size spare wheel - Page 2 0210
Full size spare wheel - Page 2 0510

Goldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldie on Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:37 am

Few more picsFull size spare wheel - Page 2 0612
Full size spare wheel - Page 2 0712
Full size spare wheel - Page 2 0812

Goldie

Back to top Go down

Post by JDVitara on Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:12 pm

Nice job Goldie. thumbl
JDVitara
JDVitara

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldie on Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:03 pm

Thank you for your compliment , just looked and read what was here and created my own , i hope this will give ideas to others and make all Vitara boots look good.

Goldie

Back to top Go down

Post by birch on Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:47 pm

All set to go to work this morning and noticed a screw in my tyre thought it might be a short one but on unscrewing it confirmed it was not! Not a problem as my openeo steel wheel and full size tyre in the boot along with my e bay jack so only half hour late for work just the TPMS flashing away.... and no fiddling with the gunk and pump.Replacement tyre quoted at £170 but lucky for me tyre was repairable so back on using my quick alignment tool and TPMS resolved itself within a few hundred yards....so thank you for all the info to make my life easier and I never realised how awkward the wheels are to put back on without the quick align tool

birch

Back to top Go down

Post by NordicVitara on Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:30 am

I am planning to get a full size spare wheel with TPMS sensor and original alloy rim. Hopefully a little oversized 215/60R17 wheel would fit to spare wheel well. I will rotate the spare wheel too. Then all five tires should be replaced at the same time.
NordicVitara
NordicVitara

Back to top Go down

Post by imack on Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:46 am

I've got 215/70/16 hankooks on my winter wheels, they still fit in the spare wheel well ok.

imack

Back to top Go down

Post by NordicVitara on Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:48 pm

imack wrote:I've got 215/70/16 hankooks on my winter wheels, they still fit in the spare wheel well ok.

I just changed winter tires and totally forgot to try if my oversized summer tire would fit to spare wheel well.
I am glad to hear that oversized wheel would fit Smile
NordicVitara
NordicVitara

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2