Noisy Brakes

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Noisy Brakes - Page 4 Empty Re: Noisy Brakes

Post by JSF on Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

Is there an official suzuki customer service center that can officially answer to me (mail, or e-mail) what is the solution to the noise brake problem? I could show this to my Suzuki "dealers" service. Maybe noise brake will not be NORMAL then Wink
JSF
JSF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErNWlgoVyMs

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:39 pm

I used this for my contact with Suzuki and they've been pretty good so far, not the quickest but still helpful.

CustomerServices AT Suzuki DOT co DOT uk

Obviously all one word and remove the AT and DOT's and use the cottect symbols. (Not sure if we are allowed to post links)

Please let us know how you get on as it'll help all of us with noisy brakes. thumbl

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by JSF on Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:54 pm

Ok. Thanks!
JSF
JSF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErNWlgoVyMs

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony's here on Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:15 pm

My rear pads were replaced at last service but as winter has progressed reversing produces the grating noises again. Not sure if it's front or back or both, irritating but they pull up OK.

Tony's here

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Wed May 01, 2019 3:40 pm

New front disks and pads arrived today so I'll give it a go and try to fit them tomorrow.

Noisy Brakes - Page 4 20190511

Pads are Suzuki Part No. 55810-61M02-000 and disks are 55311-61M00 and I got some extra disk screw fixings in case I wreck any getting the disks orf Laughing

You get 3 sheets of paper instructions and a little sachet of pad grease so thats helpful of Suzuki.

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Wed May 01, 2019 6:51 pm

Woodking wrote:New front disks and pads arrived today so I'll give it a go and try to fit them tomorrow.

Pads are Suzuki Part No. 55810-61M02-000 and disks are 55311-61M00 and I got some extra disk screw fixings in case I wreck any getting the disks orf Laughing

You get 3 sheets of paper instructions and a little sachet of pad grease so thats helpful of Suzuki.

Have you bought these yourself, or have Suzuki provided them FOC ?

If i was paying for new brake Disks & Pads myself , I think i would try an alternate Brand ( eg Mintex, EBC, etc, etc.. ). The rear OEM items have really not impressed me so far, shockingly bad if truth be told.
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu May 02, 2019 1:58 am

My Niece had tyres fitted to her S-Cross earlier in the month at HiQ tyres who obviously saw a young woman with a child seat on board and kindly tried to advise her that her brakes front and rear were in serious need of replacement and would do the work for £700inc labour  affraid

Her S-Cross has done 30,000miles and yes there was some wear on the front pads/discs but nowhere near the wear indicators but for peace of mind I would price the parts up for her

I found on Ebay Blue Print (Which I have used for many years) Front Pads/Discs and Rear Pads/Discs £150 delivered

Noisy Brakes - Page 4 S-cros10

The above have since been fitted and she is now happy that the brakes are as new as well as saving £550

Hopefully this may help some of you....

https://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk/t1262-brake-pad-disc-specifications#10167

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Thu May 02, 2019 3:20 pm

I bought them myself as Suzuki Customer Care wouldn't cover the cost to send them to me in the post and I no longer have any faith in my local dealership doing a proper job, they truly are useless.

I got fed up of telling passengers that the brakes were actually ok and the noise was getting gradually worse especially with the windows open now its getting warmer. I could feel the brakes grinding through the steering wheel it was getting that bad.

Anyhow I fitted the new disks and pads today and it took me 4 hours all in including cleaning and polishing the wheels and cleaning the inside of the wheel arches. Not a difficult job if you take it slowly and follow the instructions step by step, I found the most difficult part putting the new pads into the carrier, it can be a bit tricky but easier when you realise where the spring part is meant to go (a cut out section on the front face of the pad facing the disk).

Noisy Brakes - Page 4 20190512

The pads have a spring clip that pushes the pads off the disk when the brakes are released, I guess thats to stop any noise and wear. I cleaned the carrier fully with brake cleaner and used the supplied lubricant where shown and the pads moved in and out freely. I had to push the pads in onto the disk when fitting the caliper back on as they kept springing back out (as they are meant to) and used a torque wrench to tighten the bolts. I had a brake rewind tool leftover from when I replaced the brakes on a MINI I used to own and this easily pushed the piston back in so I was able to fit it all back together.

All in all, not a bad job to do if you take it slowly and carefully, (I'm not a mechanic by any means) but doable if you have the tools and follow the instructions. The car is totally different now, I've done a few trips out and its like a new car - no grinding noises at all and you can't feel it through the steering wheel - excellent!

The reason why I went OEM was the car is still under warranty until the end of the year so I didn't want any complications if anything goes wrong and the chap who supplied the parts assured me they addresed the grinding noises and it seems like they do. The proof of the pudding will be when the wife takes it out to do the shopping and gives me her "feedback" Laughing

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Fri May 03, 2019 12:51 pm

I stripped/ cleaned/ inspected and re-assembled the front brake pads on my MX-5 yesterday, just to take a closer look at their condition, just about to pop out and do the Rear's before the rain arrives this afternoon, I haven't had the car long and this is the 2nd to last of my jobs on it, for the time being.
The brakes on this little car ( 12 years old and 90K on the clock are completely silent and really very good).

My 16 month old Vitara with 15600 miles on the clock sounds like something from the Flintstones, especially in reverse.
They actually stop the car OK, however the noise levels they generate are quite bad.

I hope your new brakes work out, and it will be interesting to hear your feedback in a few months/Thousands of miles once they have bedded in.
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Fri May 03, 2019 1:16 pm

Thanks kwikphix328 and I know just how you feel about the Vitara brake noise, and so pleased with the new brakes and the silence Very Happy :

The wife took the car out last night and can't believe how much difference it has made, she is happy to drive it all the time now instead of me - so thats a bonus.

The old disks were very rusty for a car that has only done 13k miles (less than 3 years old) and were worn about 1mm to 2mm down with a lip around the outer edge - as if the old pads were too rough or contained too much metal content perhaps. We also have a 7 year old Audi and its still on the first set of brakes from new with over 50% left and no visible rust or wear lip. There may have been something wrong with the Vitara's first set and it will be interesting to see how these perform over time now they have been superceded. I actually found myself overbraking when out driving today as they seem to have a lot more bite than the old ones and getting better with usage and bedding in.

Pic of the old disk for you to see how they were.

Noisy Brakes - Page 4 20190513

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:29 am

Woodking wrote:Thanks kwikphix328 and I know just how you feel about the Vitara brake noise, and so pleased with the new brakes and the silence Very Happy :

The wife took the car out last night and can't believe how much difference it has made, she is happy to drive it all the time now instead of me - so thats a bonus.

The old disks were very rusty for a car that has only done 13k miles (less than 3 years old) and were worn about 1mm to 2mm down with a lip around the outer edge - as if the old pads were too rough or contained too much metal content perhaps. We also have a 7 year old Audi and its still on the first set of brakes from new with over 50% left and no visible rust or wear lip. There may have been something wrong with the Vitara's first set and it will be interesting to see how these perform over time now they have been superceded. I actually found myself overbraking when out driving today as they seem to have a lot more bite than the old ones and getting better with usage and bedding in.

Pic of the old disk for you to see how they were.

Hello Woodking,

So several months down the road, how are your replacement brakes now ?

Mine are infuriatingly noisy again at slow speed, despite a dealer warranty repair using the upgraded Suzuki parts ( allegedly...). This is the ONLY car that i have had this kind of problem with.

I am considering replacing all of the Discs & Pads for an aftermarket equivalent, or hopefully upgrade. However i will probably wait until spring now or until the days get an hour or so longer.  

My car is still under warranty & I shouldn't even be considering paying out myself.

I did notice that the front disks had quite a rusty ridge on the outer edge when i put my Winter wheels on a few weeks ago, however this is pretty standard for part work disks, so i just knocked it off ( carefully)  with a hammer and wire brush.
I think the interface between the brake pads and the disk fricion surface is the root cause though.

I like the look of the Pagid disks as they are coated with a corrosion resistant coating.

Can anybody recommend any other non Suzuki Brake parts thay have used with success on their Vitara ?
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:36 am

Be aware of Pagid products, they really are the budget end of aftermarket brakes and I have known many cases where pads either don't fit very well from new or have been returned within 6 months for another brand
I have used Blueprint ADL discs and pads on an S-Cross (Same pads/discs as Vitara) that fitted and worked well altho the MK1 S-cross does not have RBS

https://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk/t1262-brake-pad-disc-specifications

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:49 pm

Hi kwikphix328 (& Karl).

I'm happy to report back that the replacement brakes are still working perfectly, no grinding noise at all and they are just as they should be.

I just went out and checked the disks to see how they are for you and there is no wear lip on either the fronts or the rears like I had when I replaced them - so I'm guessing the revised pads aren't so harsh on the disks.

I think I've done around 5k miles on the replacements so far, and have driven through deep water many times and the grinding hasn't come back so I'm pleased with them.

I wonder if Suzuki did use the revised pads on yours if the noise is still there, or perhaps mine was fixed by changing the pads and the disks at the same time? I'd happily use these again next time they need replacing.

Its a shame Suzuki didn't step up and pay for these or offer me something for the bother of buying them and replacing them myself but I'm still enjoying the car and the quiet brakes thumbl

If you are going to change them yourself just take it slowly and note how the spring clip sits on the pads, its a little tricky at first but makes sense when you get it in the right place.

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:10 pm

Thanks for the detailed feedback WoodKing

Woodking wrote:
I wonder if Suzuki did use the revised pads on yours if the noise is still there,

What dealer did you use Kwikphix?

I have driven several facelift Vitara's (post revised pads) that don't seem to have the brake noise

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:20 pm

Admin wrote:Thanks for the detailed feedback WoodKing

Woodking wrote:
I wonder if Suzuki did use the revised pads on yours if the noise is still there,

What dealer did you use Kwikphix?

I have driven several facelift Vitara's (post revised pads) that don't seem to have the brake noise

Karl

I used NMG ( Norfolk Motor Group) in Norwich, however they are no longer a Suzuki dealer, having been one of the very first in this area ( possibly in the UK ??).

To confirm my problem, if i drive the car forwards at slow speed i get a grinding, graunchng noise, as if the discs have red rust on them ( but they haven't ).
If i drive the car i reverse, e.g. Off my drive i get a mid range squeal type noise. It is clearly audible outside and inside the car, so much so that passers by look at the car to see what is going on and causing that annoying noise... Embarassed

kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:32 pm

Woodking wrote:Hi kwikphix328 (& Karl).

If you are going to change them yourself just take it slowly and note how the spring clip sits on the pads, its a little tricky at first but makes sense when you get it in the right place.

Hi Woodking,

I have replaced and overhauled brakes on several cars ( and Motorbikes), so am confident at being able to do the job, it is the principle of the matter that bugs me. I bought a brand new car that is still under warranty exactly so that i wouldn't have to be jacking it up & grubbing around in dirt on my driveway, or in the garage and fixing things myself in my own time. I do enough of this at work.

Turning up the volume on the Radio does make it bearable though Smile
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:24 pm

I'm with you there, it does bug me that there was a problem with the car still under warranty but I had to fix it myself and at my own cost. I had 2 choices, fix it or change it for something else so I gave in and fixed it myself, and pleased with the result - the wife told me I just "had to let it go"! She's normally right. Suzuki customer services did listen to my complaint but didn't offer a fix for me but I proved them wrong as the replacement parts cured the noise.

I no longer use the local Suzuki dealership for servicing or anything else and now use an independent garage who do a great job looking after my Vitara with genuine parts.

From my experience, the grinding at low speeds will be the front brake pads and you can sort of feel it through the steering wheel and brake pedal and it sounds 'rough'.

Again, I could be wrong but the squealing when in reverse will be the rears, there is a recall/service bulletin or whatever its called about this, and your dealership should have already done this for you when you brought it to their attention.

I do hope you get this sorted as I know how frustrating and annoying this can be, it spoils the enjoyment of what is otherwise a decent car. I'd have just liked Suzuki to have a little more understanding for a small teething issue that would have been easy and inexpensive for them to fix.

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:15 am

Woodking wrote: Not a difficult job if you take it slowly and follow the instructions step by step,

Did the new pads come with written instructions ? There seems to be no maintenance manual out there atm , well apart from one in Russian !

Do the rear pads require the use of a piston winding tool ?
I don't have one as have never needed one in the past , but will buy a universal kit if i have to as it may come in handy for other cars.
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:38 am

A universal piston winding tool will work and you may need some long nosed pliers to turn the rear piston to line it up with the locating pins on the rear of the pad

All torque settings are here...

https://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk/t1262-brake-pad-disc-specifications

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:08 am

kwikphix328 wrote:
Woodking wrote: Not a difficult job if you take it slowly and follow the instructions step by step,

Did the new pads come with written instructions ? There seems to be no maintenance manual out there atm , well apart from one in Russian !  

They did come with basic instructions,  I kept them just in case and could try to photo them and post it up here if it would help?

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorkshire pud on Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:40 pm

Who makes Suzuki brake pads, any idea? Are they brembo but re packaged in a suzuki box and then the price doubled as I've noticed suzuki parts are good at that ie wipers are denso oil filters are mahle etc
Yorkshire pud
Yorkshire pud

Back to top Go down

Post by AKC1 on Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:45 pm

Just ordered New Blueprint pads and discs for front and rear at a cost of £ 154 to myself.!
After reading other posts, i have no confidence with the modified replacement pads that Suzuki fit under warranty, and cannot put up with the hassle of driving back and forwards to the dealer umpteen times, only to have the gravely sound at low speed return at a later date.
At least with completely new discs and pads from another manufacturer i stand a good chance of getting normal quiet braking again as with other cars owned throughout my 35 years of driving.
Suzuki should be ashamed.

AKC1

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:07 pm

To be fair to Suzuki the new revised pads/disks do work as intended and have no noise, from fitting some myself - but it seems to be a lottery IF the dealer uses the new revised ones or what they have left on the shelf. I'm sure some dealers don't take this issue seriously and try to palm you off. I no longer use my local dealership for anything, I get all my work done at a trusted independent.

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrust on Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:22 am

Woodking wrote: I no longer use my local dealership for anything, I get all my work done at a trusted independent.

Me too, Woodking
Petrust
Petrust

Back to top Go down

Post by AKC1 on Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:36 am

Yes i agree.
When i purchased my two year old 9000 mile Vitara i almost got talked into the 3 year service plan by the salesman.
Thank goodness i didnt, as when the warranty runs out in a years time, i will be be doing all the servicing and basic repairs myself.
With or without a fully stamped main dealer service book, they still will only offer peanuts in part exchange value and if you are keeping car for 5 years plus the book value is so minimal it is not worth worrying about.
People get kidded by the so called " good will gesture" if all your services are carried out by a main dealer.
Once the warranty expires, all the smiles from the main dealers suddenly diminish and only return when you start looking on their forecourt at the used or new cars on display.
We are seen as just a wallet with two legs poking out!

AKC1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next