New 'future' member

5 posters

Go down

New 'future' member Empty New 'future' member

Post by SuperV8 Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:26 pm

Just thought i'd say hi - new member here, looking, though yet to buy a Vitara 4g.
Doing my research on which model suits us best - takes me a while to find a new car! but I enjoy the process of slowly narrowing down my search!

Looking at the 1.6DDIS I believe this uses an GM M32 6 speed gearbox which is built by Getrag? seems common in the GM/Fiat circles but can't see much info related to Suzuki.
There are 3 generations of the M32 - anyone know which version the Vitara uses? or do they use a different gearbox?

How about the 5 speed from the 1.6petrol - who makes this? and is there a model name/number?

We have a Vitara 1.6DDIS in the family (cousin) who has recently complained of difficulty selecting/crunching 2nd gear. I don't think she drives with much mechanical sympathy! Before researching the M32 gearbox I just presumed an oil change would help - but it seems the M32 has a 'fairly common?' 2nd/3rd/4th selection/crunching/syncro issue with GM/Fiat? Is this common on the Vitara?

Thanks,
Tom.
SuperV8
SuperV8

Posts : 35
Join date : 2023-01-04
Location : Warwickshire

Back to top Go down

New 'future' member Empty Re: New 'future' member

Post by Admin Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:54 pm

Welcome to the Forum!

Although decent mpg and decent torque the Fiat sourced engine and gearbox is probably the Vitara with most niggles

Oil/filter changes are one of the messiest jobs in the world no matter how you approach it and it is the only Vitara with a Cambelt that most Suzuki dealers shy away from replacing (all petrol are chain)

The D16A engine is used in various forms by Fiat/GM/Saab/Suzuki etc....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_JTD_engine

The gearbox as you say has synchro issues in the lower gears that has been common with that gearbox in Fiats as long as I can remember, they are also prone to snapping selector cables

I don't recall Getrag having any input to this gearbox, I believe it is a Fiat designed unit that has been around for many years and used in early 6speed Ducatos etc

All Petrol 5 and 6 speed gearbox are Suzuki built/designed

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2015-05-03
Location : SHROPSHIRE UK

https://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

New 'future' member Empty Re: New 'future' member

Post by SuperV8 Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:09 pm

Thanks for the useful/interesting reply,

I have built my own car, and done many cambelts so i'm not too phased by changing the cambelt - though would be nice not to have too!

The Getrag link I saw mentioned in a Lotus Evora S and an M32 trans repair website - but I thought it strange that Getrag wiki page doesn't list an M32 or 320; https://www.wgmotorworks.co.uk/repairs/transmission/m32-gearbox/

Think I need to drive both petrol & diesel. Petrol would suit our use case better I think, with better reliability an obvious bonus - used to £30 car tax & I know there are many more serious running costs - but the cheap tax has a big pull!

I have read read that the Fiat 1.6multijet is reasonably reliable, I know how you treat them has a big impact on reliability but as a general comment would you agree? any common turbos/dpf/egr/injectors issues?

Tom.
SuperV8
SuperV8

Posts : 35
Join date : 2023-01-04
Location : Warwickshire

Back to top Go down

New 'future' member Empty Re: New 'future' member

Post by Admin Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:25 pm

It depends how unreliable you have had engines in the past to compare it to lol!

Having driven Suzukis for 30+ years the only Suzuki to never get me home was a SX4 4grip with the previous 1.9 version of the D16A , full dealer history (over serviced rather than regular service) no warnings, no check engine light or fault when scanned,no hiccups just no start and typically down a forest track in Wales with no phone signal

I personally did not have any synchro issues but I did change gear oil regular and always allowed the car to warm up on cold mornings before driving

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2015-05-03
Location : SHROPSHIRE UK

https://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

New 'future' member Empty Re: New 'future' member

Post by imack Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:02 pm

We don't see too many diesel Suzukis these days in our dealership due to Suzuki having not sold diesels in the UK for a few years now and the fact we're currently very close to and soon to be in the ULEZ area. I've only had a couple of issues with diesel Vitaras and S-Crosses and they've been failed injectors and severe vibrations caused by failed dual mass flywheels. As Karl said, oil filters are hateful messy things to change.
On Vauxhall combos fitted with the same engine we get plenty of DMF failures, egr valves, egr coolers, injectors, glow plugs, turbos, water pumps.
As Karl has mentioned, if you're going to get an engine related fault with a Suzuki it'll be on a diesel model. Old 1.9 Grand Vitaras and 1.3ddis Swifts used to keep us busy, but strangely we had different issues with the same engines that were fitted to Vauxhalls.
imack
imack
Tech Moderator

Posts : 684
Join date : 2020-11-10
Location : Kent

Back to top Go down

New 'future' member Empty Re: New 'future' member

Post by SuperV8 Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:36 am

Admin wrote:It depends how unreliable you have had engines in the past to compare it to lol!

Having driven Suzukis for 30+ years the only Suzuki to never get me home was a SX4 4grip with the previous 1.9 version of the D16A , full dealer history (over serviced rather than regular service) no warnings, no check engine light or fault when scanned,no hiccups just no start and typically down a forest track in Wales with no phone signal

I personally did not have any synchro issues but I did change gear oil regular and always allowed the car to warm up on cold mornings before driving

Karl

Haha, true, reliability is relative!
Well I've previously had an Audi A4 B6 Avant 1.9 Quattro - loved that car, mechanically great at 240,000miles! but corrosion was taking over and suspension wishbones needed an overall (£1000 in parts alone).
The lest reliable car I have looked after was my parents 1.6tdci cmax - which had many problems, injector seals (twice), DPF, alternator, washer pump (twice), water leak (but surprise NO turbo!) - though it did drive nicely and was efficient.
The most reliable car 'under my responsibility' is our Mitsubishi Colt 1.3 cleartec- brilliant little car. Zero faults in 10 years & 75,000miles. Even on the original 2009 battery! This is the car we are looking at replacing with the Vitara - would like more space for the kids/shopping.
My car is a Leon ST 184tdi - quite an awesome 'do it all car' 0-60 7.2 secs, £30 tax, 60mpg, big boot - touch wood! has been reliable with just a heater matrix fault (common on MQB cars) did the cambelt a year ago - but very complicated engine! lots to 'potentially' go wrong! Has 3x coolant pumps and 4x coolant circuits!
SuperV8
SuperV8

Posts : 35
Join date : 2023-01-04
Location : Warwickshire

Back to top Go down

New 'future' member Empty Re: New 'future' member

Post by SuperV8 Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:46 am

imack wrote:We don't see too many diesel Suzukis these days in our dealership due to Suzuki having not sold diesels in the UK for a few years now and the fact we're currently very close to and soon to be in the ULEZ area. I've only had a couple of issues with diesel Vitaras and S-Crosses and they've been failed injectors and severe vibrations caused by failed dual mass flywheels. As Karl said, oil filters are hateful messy things to change.
On Vauxhall combos fitted with the same engine we get plenty of DMF failures, egr valves, egr coolers, injectors, glow plugs, turbos, water pumps.
As Karl has mentioned,  if you're going to get an engine related fault with a Suzuki it'll be on a diesel model. Old 1.9 Grand Vitaras and 1.3ddis Swifts used to keep us busy, but strangely we had different issues with the same engines that were fitted to Vauxhalls.

Thank you for your feedback, think i'm swaying towards the 1.6 petrol - just need to find one locally I can test drive, and this will be mainly for my wife so needs her 'sign off'! - our family member has a Vitara 1.6DDIS so can try the diesel easily for a comparrison.
SuperV8
SuperV8

Posts : 35
Join date : 2023-01-04
Location : Warwickshire

Back to top Go down

New 'future' member Empty Re: New 'future' member

Post by CRNeo Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:13 pm

We have a 1.6 petrol and wasn't keen on the derv variant when we started looking.

Ours has been very reliable and pretty economical over the 3yrs we've had it... we generally get around 40mpg with a mix of driving. I find they can be a little gutless at times, needing to be revved out to get any real go out of them but apart from that all good.
CRNeo
CRNeo

Posts : 55
Join date : 2019-09-30
Location : North West, UK

Back to top Go down

New 'future' member Empty Re: New 'future' member

Post by SuperV8 Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:44 am

CRNeo wrote:We have a 1.6 petrol and wasn't keen on the derv variant when we started looking.

Ours has been very reliable and pretty economical over the 3yrs we've had it... we generally get around 40mpg with a mix of driving. I find they can be a little gutless at times, needing to be revved out to get any real go out of them but apart from that all good.

Thank you for your feedback,
SuperV8
SuperV8

Posts : 35
Join date : 2023-01-04
Location : Warwickshire

Back to top Go down

New 'future' member Empty Re: New 'future' member

Post by TWSaab Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:05 pm

I have been looking around and considering a Vitara to go with the SCross my wife has. I am looking for one with the 1.4 Boosterjet engine as they seem to deliver good performance and economy. The SCross has the 1.0 and the performance is not bad but I feel it could do with a little more power and torque for hills and the 1.4 looks as if it would deliver this. The Boosterjet engines seem to have better power and performance than the others. For us I would not consider a diesel as it is used mainly for local journeys and I can do without the EGR and DPF problems.
TWSaab
TWSaab

Posts : 199
Join date : 2021-02-09
Age : 70
Location : Bexhill-on-Sea

Back to top Go down

New 'future' member Empty Re: New 'future' member

Post by SuperV8 Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:55 am

Well - 'only' 9 months since I started this thread! and I can say we have finally found/brought a Vitara LY New 'future' member 1f600
1.6 allgrip SZ-T 2017.
I test drove it and I was pleasantly surprised - yes it won't win many drag races, but for a dependable, comfy, compact, practical car which can do the school run to our village school in all weathers it will do a splendid job I'm sure.
It has reversing camera and rear parking sensors - but my other half would like front sensors added - so that will be my first 'job', that and finding an actual spare tyre and jack rather than the the waste of space goo.
SuperV8
SuperV8

Posts : 35
Join date : 2023-01-04
Location : Warwickshire

Back to top Go down

New 'future' member Empty Re: New 'future' member

Post by Admin Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:24 am

Good to hear the Vitara is proving to be enjoyable

I have no affiliation but try this for a complete spare wheel/jack...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225638240694?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=DHVb0DCIRiK&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Eitk58r0Q1W&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Full details here...

https://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk/t88-fit-a-spare-wheel-spacesaver

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2015-05-03
Location : SHROPSHIRE UK

https://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

New 'future' member Empty Re: New 'future' member

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum