Engine rattle on start up from sump area.

4 posters

Go down

Engine rattle on start up from sump area. Empty Engine rattle on start up from sump area.

Post by coxyboy Thu May 12, 2022 7:04 pm

Hi everyone, just an enquiry to why when I start the engine(m1.6a) on my s-zt I keep getting a brief rattle from the lower part of the engine,like a bearing rattle. The car has done 34,000 miles and is just over 4 years old.FSH with 0w-20 oil used from new.Surely the bearings shouldn't be worn at such a low mileage.The rattle lasts one to two seconds then disappears as oil pressure builds up.It can do this on subsequent start ups in the day not just first thing in the morning. Is there anything I can do to alleviate this,the present oil fill is with Petronas Syntium 0w-20. The engine does not burn oil,not using any in-between services on an annual basis,now around 6,000 miles per year.Imack ,Gar Green and other technical wizards are you aware of this ?? 🤔

coxyboy

Back to top Go down

Engine rattle on start up from sump area. Empty Re: Engine rattle on start up from sump area.

Post by imack Fri May 13, 2022 2:37 pm

I've not experienced any problems and there are no issues that I'm aware of on either the M16A or boosterjet engines.
However, you say the noise comes from the sump area. I just wonder if it's worth checking the exhaust front pipe heat shields to make sure they're all secure. The straps that secure the heat shields on the M16A are prone to breaking so are worth checking.
imack
imack
Tech Moderator

Back to top Go down

Engine rattle on start up from sump area. Empty Engine rattle

Post by coxyboy Fri May 13, 2022 4:29 pm

Thanks for the quick reply imack !! I will definitely check the exhaust then.I must admit I searched for engine issues but none mentioned bearing rattle.I will look over the weekend and report back whatever I find.Thanks for the heads up,this forum is the mutts nuts for solving issues and vast knowledge of our cars,cheers buddy 👍🏻

coxyboy

Back to top Go down

Engine rattle on start up from sump area. Empty Re: Engine rattle on start up from sump area.

Post by imack Fri May 13, 2022 5:32 pm

The M16A is pretty bullet proof, I'd be surprised if there were any mechanical issues with it.
imack
imack
Tech Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by coxyboy Fri May 13, 2022 5:48 pm

Yes ,never come across any serious issues with that engine,it's been around since Adam was a lad !! So a thorough look around the exhaust could lead to the issue being solved,I've seen that area covered here before so hopefully a nice straightforward solution. Thanks again for the input Imack,there's no substitute for actual hands on knowledge !!

coxyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri May 13, 2022 6:09 pm

As Iain posted exhaust shield rattle yes, engine problem you would be extremely unlucky as even abused in a Swift Sport the M16A is normally bulletproof

If it is the heatshields many people are having success replacing the corroded bands with these Stainless Zip Ties

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223725586517?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=GcNRS7NGRTW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Eitk58r0Q1W&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Engine rattle on start up from sump area. Empty Engine rattle.

Post by coxyboy Fri May 13, 2022 6:55 pm

Hi Karl,yes I think I would be dreadfully unlucky if it was within the actual engine,so the heatshield issue could well be the culprit.Thanks so much for the info and post for the remedy,this is why I joined the forum,it is such a mine of information 👍🏻Such a good bunch of lads/lasses make it up,with your good self at the helm.Will let you know what I find as soon as possible, Thanks again everyone !!

coxyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by OPSLT Fri May 13, 2022 9:40 pm

I had a similar problem, especially when ac was on. The solution, as mentioned above, was there

OPSLT

Back to top Go down

Post by coxyboy Tue May 17, 2022 8:10 pm

Right,finally got to inspect the exhaust shields on my car,all original and rattle free no less.I inspected the front heat shield and all sound
and secure.The noise I'm experiencing is much more subtle than the heavy rattling of a loose shield.As I said in my first post it is a brief one to two second subdued rattle that disappears when the engine oil pressure builds.Im thinking the low viscosity oil may just need a second or two to establish full oil pressure.Once the engine is ticking over it is silent thereafter.Maybe I'm being hyper sensitive about this issue.My previous car was an XJ350 3.6v8 which did exactly the same thing but no reliability issues though.That had 5w/30 Castrol Magnatec Stop-start oil in it.Like Karl I'm a big fan of Castrol oils and have used them for 50 years without issues.The deal with Sims is a very good one as mentioned by Karl.I will monitor it but not going to get freaked out by it.My many thanks to all who replied and gave sound advice,cheers lads👍🏻👍🏻

coxyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down