Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield rattle

2 posters

Go down

Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield rattle Empty Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield rattle

Post by slackgarry Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:18 pm

Evening gents, Couple of questions.
Bottom of the Heat-shield has lost its metal cable ties, found them jangling the other week.
Bought some new SS ones slightly wider and thicker. Is it just dropping the under tray and reaching up. ?

Thanks

slackgarry

Back to top Go down

Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield rattle Empty Re: Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield rattle

Post by imack Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:10 pm

I usually remove the front pipe and replace all the straps while I've got the pipe off. If one strutted away the others aren't far behind. There's only 4 14mm headed bolts to remove from the exhaust flanges and the front pipe can be withdrawn. You'll need the car on axle stands to get a bit of height though.
I usually use the stainless steel CV boot straps shown below, but you need a tensioning tool too.
Never had much luck with jubilee type clips, even stainless ones. They rust away within 12 months and are too wide for the recess in the heat shield.
Iain
Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield rattle Images10
Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield rattle 4623_110
imack
imack
Tech Moderator

Back to top Go down

Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield rattle Empty Re: Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield rattle

Post by slackgarry Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:06 pm

Wow thanks for that Imack. So I found two of the bands jangling on the exhaust. Is there more holding on the heat shield.

Thanks very much

slackgarry

Back to top Go down

Post by imack Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:05 pm

I replaced the straps on an S-Cross 1.6 only last week but I can't remember whether it had 3 or 4 straps. I think it was 3.
imack
imack
Tech Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by slackgarry Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:48 pm

Thanks for the help Imack. Will give it a go this weekend.

slackgarry

Back to top Go down

Post by imack Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:33 pm

4 bands on an M16a Vitara, I'm sure an S-Cross will be the same.Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield rattle 20220411
Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield rattle 20220410

Iain
imack
imack
Tech Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by slackgarry Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:39 pm

Thanks Imack, i owe you a pint for that. Cheers

slackgarry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down