Rear tyre wear

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rear tyre wear Empty Rear tyre wear

Post by MikeD Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:39 am

I've had my car from new and after 4 years and 20k miles the front tyres are down to 3.6mm but the rears are 1.6mm.

Is this normal for the Allgrip Vitara? My driving is mostly sedate with just the occasional burst of acceleration (because I can Very Happy ).

Mike

MikeD

Back to top Go down

Rear tyre wear Empty Re: Rear tyre wear

Post by imack Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:38 pm

imack
imack
Tech Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeD Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:25 pm

Interesting, thank you. If that is the cause on my car will Suzuki rectify it after 4 years?

Mike

MikeD

Back to top Go down

Post by imack Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:38 pm

If you have full suzuki service history they might possibly consider it. You'd have to go to your dealer, confirm your axle is within the range and they'd have to raise a case with technical and customer services to try and get axle replacement approved.
Iain
imack
imack
Tech Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeD Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:42 pm

I do have a full Suzuki service history. It's had the annual service today and the dealer called to tell me about the tyres, so when I collect the car later I will take that information with me.

Thanks again!

Mike

MikeD

Back to top Go down

Post by imack Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:23 pm

Are the rear tyres unevenly worn across the width of the tread? If they have an axle issue they wear the outer edges of the rear tyres.
If evenly worn the wheels may have been swapped front to rear on previous services.
imack
imack
Tech Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeD Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:26 pm

Here are the numbers for last year and this year. The wear has accelerated in the last 4,000 miles.

15,725 milesOuterMiddleInner
N/S Front3.73.73.7
O/S Front4.14.14.1
O/S Rear3.43.43.4
N/S Rear3.03.03.0

19,862 milesOuterMiddleInner
N/S Front3.23.12.9
O/S Front3.43.43.1
O/S Rear1.82.52.7
N/S Rear0.91.82.2
The dealer is aware of the beam assembly problem but hasn't seen it on any of the cars they service. They thought it was most unlikely that Suzuki would replace it FOC out of warranty.

I'll check the ID number when it stops raining.

Mike

MikeD

Back to top Go down

Post by imack Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:12 pm

Yours isn't actually too bad, I've seen far worse tyre wear over the width of the tread. A 3mm, occasionally 4mm difference in wear between inner and outer edges is not that uncommon on early versions of Vitara and S-Cross.
It's surprising how few customers actually question this degree of tyre wear. Suzuki never issued a recall,  it was just a field remedy to be carried out if a customer complained. I replaced a number of rear axles when the cars were in warranty, including my own Vitara. Most of the replacement axles are still  on the upper limit of toe angle when checked.

Iain
imack
imack
Tech Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeD Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:39 pm

I had the tyres changed today and the fitter agreed with you that the wear rate wasn't particularly unusual. We got the axle part number: 1726730222 which is well below the number recommended by the service bulletin. I'm getting the alignment checked next week.

The irony is if I'd used the car more when it was new the problem would have appeared during the warranty period and Suzuki would probably have replaced the axle.

Mike

MikeD

Back to top Go down

Post by imack Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:15 pm

MikeD wrote:They thought it was most unlikely that Suzuki would replace it FOC out of warranty.

It may well be unlikely suzuki would replace the axle foc,  but until the dealer raises a case they're just guessing.
Sometimes Suzuki will bend over backwards to keep a loyal customer happy.
Until you've had toe angles checked you don't know whether or not it's within tolerance. (Probably best to use someone who has a decent 4 wheel alignment setup that gives a proper print out of the complete geometry.)
If it's out of spec it might be worth your effort contacting Suzuki customer services and getting them involved(I doubt they'll accept measurements from a 3rd party,  but it might be worth getting printed out measurements from a 3rd party to compare with the dealerships measurements)
If there's any chance of replacing it under goodwill customer services will often chase the dealership for information/progress updates.
imack
imack
Tech Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by TWSaab Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:09 pm

I have wondered about this with my car.  I had read about it on the forum but it looked OK and there was no obvious positive camber.  Then I had it serviced at the local Suzuki Dealer last month and it came back with a tyre condition sheet showing the rears as:

2017 S Cross
16000 miles    inner   mid    outer
N/s rear           5.0     4.5     3.5
O/s rear           4.5     4.0     3.5
(Fronts are low and due a change anyway)
So worst case 1.5mm across the tyre, but both low on the outer edge.

The car had Suzuki service history until we bought it from a car dealer (after another Suzuki dealer let us down, cars were getting difficult to get in January 20 and my wife's previous car had been rear ended and written off in October 19 so she was getting edgy about getting a new one - despite being locked down!).  Then the 'dealer' insisted on servicing it despite not being due until June and me saying I would get it Suzuki serviced when due.
I will be interested to see if Suzuki do take it up, I felt the chances were low and, as it only does about 5k a year, I would have to swallow the tyre wear.
TWSaab
TWSaab

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeD Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:03 pm

TWSaab wrote:I will be interested to see if Suzuki do take it up, I felt the chances were low and, as it only does about 5k a year, I would have to swallow the tyre wear.

I'm getting the alignment measured on Tuesday. If it's out then I will be writing to Suzuki customer services and I'll let you know what they say.

My mileage is the same as yours. If it had been higher the fault would have appeared during the warranty period. Perhaps I can blame the Covid lockdown ...

MikeD

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeD Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:03 pm

Here's the result of the alignment check. I think the rear toe angle is far enough out to raise a complaint.

Rear tyre wear Alignm10

Mike

MikeD

Back to top Go down

Post by imack Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:31 pm

Suzuki sent out a bulletin on Friday revising the rear axle toe angles. Yours is slightly further out using the new figures. Rear tyre wear Scree103
imack
imack
Tech Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Hutchy Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:18 pm

am i right in presuming this is for a certain year range of the vitara s cross or has it been an issue from 2015, just mines a 2016 model, i have not seen any obvious tyre wear, but i do swap my tyres every 4 to 6 months, to try and even the wear a bit...
Hutchy
Hutchy

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeD Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:40 pm

imack wrote:Suzuki sent out a bulletin on Friday revising the rear axle toe angles. Yours is slightly further out using the new figures.

Thanks Iain.

Mike

MikeD

Back to top Go down

Post by imack Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:43 pm

It's just a problem on a minority of earlier models. Most cars have pretty even wear across the width of the tyre tread.
imack
imack
Tech Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeD Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:50 pm

Is my right front camber measurement a concern? The guy who tested it said it wasn't adjustable.

Mike

MikeD

Back to top Go down

Post by imack Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:17 pm

He's right, there's no adjustment available. It's only 0.25 degrees out of spec which could simply be that the car isn't sitting completely square. It's likely to be sitting slightly lower on the drivers side if measured which could affect camber angle.

Rear tyre wear Scree104
imack
imack
Tech Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeD Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:16 pm

OK thanks. I'm writing to Suzuki about the rear axle now ...

Mike

MikeD

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeD Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:50 pm

I have an update!

A few days after writing to Suzuki customer service my dealer phoned to say that they had been asked to raise a case for the repair.

He said that Suzuki normally ask dealers to pay 50% of goodwill repairs but as a small family business they can't afford to do that. In any case they didn't sell me the car (the dealer who did is no longer a Suzuki agent) so I don't see why they should.

I'll let you know what the outcome is.

Mike

MikeD

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeD Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:24 pm

Well Suzuki don't hang about. They got my letter last Friday and today (Tuesday) I received their offer, which is that they will pay for the cost of a new axle. I will have to pay the labour cost to fit it but as I'm not in the mood for an argument I will accept that.

Mike

MikeD

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:14 pm

On the very few occasions I have had to contact Suzuki Customer services in the last 35 years of Suzuki ownership i have found them to be very efficient, only once was a warranty claim rejected yet 24 hours later accepted via another dealership that then made me wonder if the first dealer had even contacted SGB?

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by imack Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:07 pm

Glad you got a satisfactory outcome Mike.

Iain
imack
imack
Tech Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeD Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:28 pm

imack wrote:Glad you got a satisfactory outcome Mike.

Iain

Thanks for your help with this Iain.

Mike

MikeD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next