Air and pollen filters on 2017 Vitara 1.6 petrol

3 posters

Go down

Air and pollen filters on 2017 Vitara 1.6 petrol Empty Air and pollen filters on 2017 Vitara 1.6 petrol

Post by Tufty Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:56 am

I would like to have a go at changing these myself if possible so advice on the following appreciated:

Part numbers for genuine Suzuki parts
An approximate idea of cost if possible
Links to any videos to show how to do them

Thanks

Tufty

Back to top Go down

Air and pollen filters on 2017 Vitara 1.6 petrol Empty Re: Air and pollen filters on 2017 Vitara 1.6 petrol

Post by Admin Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:59 am

For the 1.6 Petrol Vitara you will need the following from Suzuki...

Air Filter 13780-61M00-000
Pollen Filter 95860-61M00-000

The air filter is located at the rear of the air box (the large black plastic housing on top of the engine)
There are two over centre spring clips at the rear of the airbox that retain the air filter casing. Once the spring clips are undone you can open the upper part of the filter housing and then lift the housing upwards off the two lower locating tabs to reveal the air filter.
Refitting is a reversal of the above ensuring the two lower locating tabs are seated correctly (you may with to practice first without a replacement filter in place to get a general idea as the filter does give some resistance to seal the airbox/filter housing)

Pollen filter, open the passenger door then open the glove box and remove all contents
With the glovebox open on the left hand side you will see a round damper/strut, gently prise the pivot point off the glovebox pivot peg
At the rear top edge of the glovebox you will see a recess about the width of your hand, pull the glovebox inwards at this point allowing the stop pegs either side to pull past the main dashboard  (there should be 2 rubber dampers pushed on the stop pegs be careful they do not fall off)
Pivot the glovebox fully down until you can pull the glovebox off the hinge, there are are two flats on the hinge when fully opened that allow this
With the glovebox placed safely on the seat you will see a large black heater motor housing, on this will be an oblong plate around 8 inches long. Either side of this plate will be two plastic tabs that you have to lift to release the pollen filter plate (be very careful as i have seen these broken)
With the clips opened pull the oblong plate towards you to reveal the pollen filter.
Usually the pollen filter will have an arrow printed on it showing the air flow direction, make a mental note if this and pull the old pollen filter out
Replace the filter in the correct air flow direction, the oblong filter plate and glovebox in the reverse order of above

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Air and pollen filters on 2017 Vitara 1.6 petrol Empty Re: Air and pollen filters on 2017 Vitara 1.6 petrol

Post by Tufty Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:58 am

Thanks Karl
a very detailed set of instructions
My husband has a Suzuki Splash which seems to have a similar arrangement
Do you happen to know anything about doing those as well

Maria

Tufty

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:00 am

I have never worked on a Splash but I know user Imack has one so will no doubt confirm if it is similar to a Vitara

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by imack Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:18 pm

No need to remove the glove box on the Splash to replace the pollen filter but you may find it easier to do so. It's removed in a similar fashion to the Vitara except there's no damper to remove. The filter cover  points down towards the footwell so the filter is fitted vertically, not horizontally as in the Vitara.

Air and pollen filters on 2017 Vitara 1.6 petrol Screen60

The air filter is removed by releasing the two clips on the end of the air filter housing. It can be a bit awkward to replace the filter.

Air and pollen filters on 2017 Vitara 1.6 petrol Screen61
imack
imack
Tech Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tufty Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:35 pm

Thanks for the information on the Splash

Tufty

Back to top Go down

Post by Tufty Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:27 pm

Karl
Succeeded with the pollen filter and one of the rubbers did come off!!

As regards the air filter I found the clips and released them but could not see how cover comes off, there does not seem any movement and worried about breaking the top cover off

Maria (Tufty)

Tufty

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:01 pm

With the clips undone tilt the top of the air filter cover towards the windscreen and lift upwards to release the two lower pegs
There is some resistance but having fitted so many I may have not explained very clearly, as Imack said they can be tight to refit

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by imack Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:57 pm

Tufty wrote:

As regards the air filter I found the clips and released them but could not see how cover comes off, there does not seem any movement and worried about breaking the top cover off

Is this the Vitara or Splash air filter you're struggling with?
If it's the Vitara you need to remove the two 10mm bolts from the front edge of the air filter housing, undo the 'jubilee' type clip on the rubber pipe underneath the air filter housing that goes to the throttle body (right hand side of air filter housing as you're looking at it from the front of the car) and pull the rubber air intake pipe off the filter housing (pipe that goes between the bonnet slam panel and air filter housing- no clips at the filter housing end)
With those parts removed/disconnect you can lift the air filter housing off the engine. Turn it upside down and unclip the two over centre clips.
You can lift the bottom off the air filter housing now and replace the filter.

imack
imack
Tech Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tufty Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:59 pm

It was the Vitara I was trying to do
I came across a video which suggests taking the whole of the top assembly off as you have mentioned
However Karl seemed to know a way to do it without having to do this
May be you just need the right knack

As regards the Splash, the layout seems different than in your diagrams, perhaps it was modified at some point?

Maria

Tufty

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:06 pm

Hands up, Imack is correct, I have been giving instructions on the earlier M16A airbox rather than the later Vitara/S-Cross
Apologies Sad

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by imack Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:17 am

I presume your Splash is petrol rather than diesel.
I'll have a look at my 08 Splash later, but I'm sure it does differ slightly compared with the picture in the manual. I think it's got a resonator chamber along side the filter housing that has to be removed well.
imack
imack
Tech Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by imack Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:59 pm

I imagine your Splash air filter housing looks like this.
Air and pollen filters on 2017 Vitara 1.6 petrol 20211010
The front edge of the housing has plastic posts (in the areas circled) that locate in rubber bushes on the engine cam cover, two on the air filter housing and one on the resonator chamber.
Carefully lift the front of the housing to pull the 3 posts out of the rubber bushes. The resonator can now be pulled sideways (towards the passenger side) to free its post from the rubber bush in the filter housing (be careful as this bush has a tendency to fall out and get lost).
With the resonator pushed to one side, the two over centre clips can be unlatched, the filter housing pulled forward and swung slightly towards the drivers side after removing the dip stick, and the filter removed. Make a note of the filter orientation as it has 3 rounded corners and one square corner so only fits one way around.Air and pollen filters on 2017 Vitara 1.6 petrol 20211011
Air and pollen filters on 2017 Vitara 1.6 petrol 20211012
imack
imack
Tech Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down