Uneven heat build-up in opposite brake rotors

4 posters

Go down

Uneven heat build-up in opposite brake rotors Empty Uneven heat build-up in opposite brake rotors

Post by kellogs Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:43 pm

Hello,

It happens for both front and back axles. After trips around the city, rear right rotor is warmer than rear left rotor, and the front right one is hotter than the front left one.

Speaking only to the right front side - greased the brake pad lugs, caliper pins, tested the piston for smooth operation. All seem fine.. is there anything else to try at home?

Thanks!

kellogs

Back to top Go down

Uneven heat build-up in opposite brake rotors Empty Re: Uneven heat build-up in opposite brake rotors

Post by TWSaab Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:34 pm

You could try bleeding the brakes, there may be some air in the cool callipers if they are not applying full force to the discs.
TWSaab
TWSaab

Back to top Go down

Uneven heat build-up in opposite brake rotors Empty Re: Uneven heat build-up in opposite brake rotors

Post by tigersaw Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:50 am

You don't mention either pulling to one side under braking (uneven braking) or a tendency for the car to pull to one side when driving (binding) so could it be something more abstract, such as better cooling on the nearside from driving through more water for instance?
tigersaw
tigersaw

Back to top Go down

Post by kellogs Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:01 pm

Busy times... So:

TWSaab wrote:You could try bleeding the brakes, there may be some air in the cool callipers if they are not applying full force to the discs.

Hmm, rear brake pads changing (done some weeks before the current issue) incurred some bleeding. I have done that already at one of the wheels, rear left, for some 30 ml of fluid.
If air is trapped at the piston inside the caliper - that is a lower point than the bleeding valve. How would I go about bleeding the air out ?

tigersaw wrote:You don't mention either pulling to one side under braking (uneven braking) or a tendency for the car to pull to one side when driving (binding) so could it be something more abstract, such as better cooling on the nearside from driving through more water for instance?

No, i have not noticed any of these. the temps were taken on a sunny and dry day.

kellogs

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:31 pm

kellogs wrote:Hello,

It happens for both front and back axles. After trips around the city, rear right rotor is warmer than rear left rotor, and the front right one is hotter than the front left one.

On most cars that I have owned the hydraulic braking system is divided into 2 sub-systems, with one rear brake connected to the opposite front brake. So that if you get a hyd leak at one wheel ( broken pipe, burst seal., etc, etc) you retain an element of front and rear braking, diagonally opposite so that the car doesn't pull too heavily to one side.

I would bleed all four corners of the car. You said that you have already inspected them and lubricated for full and free movement.

Failing this maybe the ABS system is applying uneven pressure to one of the sub-systems.

Pretty sure that a Garage would be able to check the pressures using a diagnostic/OBD tester. Pretty sure mine displays ABS brake pressures as part of the 'live feed' readings, although not sure whether this is on the Vitara or one of our other family cars.
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by kellogs Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:44 pm

kwikphix328 wrote:

On most cars that I have owned the hydraulic braking system is divided into 2 sub-systems, with one rear brake connected to the opposite front brake. So that if you get a hyd leak at one wheel ( broken pipe, burst seal., etc, etc) you retain an element of front and rear braking, diagonally opposite so that the car doesn't pull too heavily to one side.

I would bleed all four corners of the car. You said that you have already inspected them and lubricated for full and free movement.

Failing this maybe the ABS system is applying uneven pressure to one of the sub-systems.

Pretty sure that a Garage would be able to check the pressures using a diagnostic/OBD tester.  Pretty sure mine displays ABS brake pressures as part of the 'live feed' readings, although not sure whether this is on the Vitara or one of our other family cars.

Indeed, Vitaras have the diagonal subsystems as well:

Uneven heat build-up in opposite brake rotors Screen10

It appears that SZ Viewer does not monitor those pressures, so... I shall bleed them all four, fill up to level, see how it goes.
And no DTC error codes present on the ABS/ESP module. A few are present on the HVAC module and one on the SRS module.

kellogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down