Looking for information about Vitara Hybrid with automatic transmission

Go down

Looking for information about Vitara Hybrid with automatic transmission Empty Looking for information about Vitara Hybrid with automatic transmission

Post by dunc54 Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:42 am

I am looking at buying a new Vitara with an automatic transmission. This is an option which has only recently become available again after being initially dropped with the introduction of the hybrid system.
Firstly I would like confirmation that the auto box is still a torque convertor type as was the case with the pre-hybrid model? I am curious to know how the engine driven ISG can provide regenerative braking when traditionally a torque convertor doesn't transmit much drive back to the engine on the over-run. Is the torque convertor locked in this situation? Any relevant information from someone with access to the technical details would greatly appreciated.

dunc54

Back to top Go down

Looking for information about Vitara Hybrid with automatic transmission Empty Re: Looking for information about Vitara Hybrid with automatic transmission

Post by crozier Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:32 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiffqAmeQpk&ab_channel=TheWheelNetwork

crozier

http://www.croziergreen.com

Back to top Go down

Looking for information about Vitara Hybrid with automatic transmission Empty Re: Looking for information about Vitara Hybrid with automatic transmission

Post by Ethanedwards Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:00 pm

I own a non hybrid Vitara and a new Ignis Hybrid Auto. I'm going to suggest the mild hybrid Vitara like the Ignis Hybrid does not have regenerative breaking. It will have an integrated starter alternator. It'll give you a shove to supplement the engine when the system determines that its needed. When not providing a shove it charges the main battery and the small battery pack under the front passenger seat. That's a mild hybrid. I have owned a Toyota Yaris hybrid and that did have regenerative breaking. That's why I am pretty sure the Vitara and Ignis dont have it. I bet the new Accross and Swace do have it as they use Toyota technology. Hope that helps.

Ethanedwards

Back to top Go down

Post by dunc54 Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:55 am

Thank you for your reply but according to press release information from Suzuki's own media website the Ignis Hybrid does use regenerative braking in both manual and auto versions.  Ref:- https://media.suzuki.co.uk/assets/documents/original/5193-Ignishybridbooklet.pdf (See page 13.) (Note that the auto box on the Ignis is a CVT rather than a torque convertor type.)
The equivalent document for the Vitara, Ref:- https://media.suzuki.co.uk/assets/documents/original/5085-vitarahybridbooklet.pdf also describes regenerative braking operation but it hasn't been updated since the automatic version was launched. My questions are specific to the newly available automatic version of the Vitara Hybrid because Suzuki appear to have introduced it without any press release and the latest downloadable brochure doesn't mention it either. I am fairly sure that it is a torque convertor auto box but I was hoping for confirmation.
I have now had the news that my car is currently in transit from Hungary so hopefully I should soon be able to answer my own questions.

dunc54

Back to top Go down

Post by crozier Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:27 am

From what I can see on the video I posted: the motor/generator is connected, via drive belts, directly to the crankshaft at the opposite end to the flywheel, so the torque converter ( if it's there) is bypassed. Still doesn't answer your question on the type of auto transmission. CVT would be my least preference, but it is no longer just the domain of lightweight vehicles. It is used on the new Across.

Best of luck with the new Vitara when it arrives.

crozier

http://www.croziergreen.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ethanedwards Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:52 pm

dunc54 wrote:Thank you for your reply but according to press release information from Suzuki's own media website the Ignis Hybrid does use regenerative braking in both manual .

Sorry but you should read your own link for the Ignis.  That is NOT regenerative braking.  

I owned a Yaris hybrid.  Braking lightly caused the electric motors attached to the front wheels to generate power for the traction battery.  None of this equipment is present in the Ignis.  
Therefore it is a physical impossibility to have regenerative braking.  
In the Ignis  easing off the throttle generates power whether you brake or not.  Ergo that is in no way regenerative braking.  

Think of the Ignis set up as a kinetic energy recovery system.

Now the Vitara maybe but definitely not the Ignis.

Ethanedwards

Back to top Go down

Post by dunc54 Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:09 am

Ethanedwards wrote:- Sorry but you should read your own link for the Ignis.  That is NOT regenerative braking.
The second paragraph on page 13 of the linked document for the Ignis specifically uses the term regenerative braking when it states :- "The ISG generates electricity more efficiently than a conventional alternator through regenerative braking which is the term given to the transfer of kinetic heat energy into electrical energy. The ISG unit detects this as soon as the brake pedal is depressed and recharges both the lithium-ion battery and conventional 12 volt battery."  Whilst this is different to the system that you describe on the Yaris, it has the same end result and I think that Suzuki's use of the terminology is quite reasonable.

dunc54

Back to top Go down

Post by dunc54 Mon May 03, 2021 1:19 pm

Just in case anyone else is interested, Suzuki UK have now issued a press release which answers my original question and confirms that the gearbox is a conventional type with a torque convertor. I have also learnt that auto boxes have advanced a long way since I last had anything to do with them and the torque convertor can lock up in every forward gear except 1st. This appears to satisfactorily answer the second part of my question regarding transmission of drive back to the engine and ISG on the over-run.

dunc54

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down