Cambelt Timing Belt Tool Kit

3 posters

Go down

Cambelt Timing Belt Tool Kit Empty Cambelt Timing Belt Tool Kit

Post by mayner001 Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:55 am

Hi everyone, Hoping that someone with experience can give me some advice please. I've just bought a 2015 1.6 DDIS Allgrip with 84k on the clock. I see that the recommended interval for timing belt change on these vehicles is 87.5k or 5 years, so I guess mine is already overdue on age. I see from other posts on here that the cost of having Suzuki do this job is horrendous, so I've had a look at a couple of tutorials online. I reckon I could tackle this myself with the right tools, but could do with some guidance on what locking kit to purchase. I'm aware that the DDIS engine is manufactured by Fiat, and used by several other manufacturers in a variety of vehicles. Does anyone know if it is the same timing tool kit required for the 1.6 and 1.9 engine variants? The components of the kits look the same. I've seen some advertised as suitable for the Vauxhall 1.9CDTi (but no other compatible manufacturers or engines listed by the seller) cheap as chips on Ebay. Not sure 🤔 I'm hoping that someone who has done this job will know 🤞

mayner001

Back to top Go down

Cambelt Timing Belt Tool Kit Empty Re: Cambelt Timing Belt Tool Kit

Post by mayner001 Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:05 am

Cambelt Timing Belt Tool Kit Screen11
Cambelt Timing Belt Tool Kit Screen12
Cambelt Timing Belt Tool Kit Screen10

mayner001

Back to top Go down

Post by imack Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:34 am

I think any of those kits will do the job ok.
1.6, 1.9 & 2.0 are all basically the same, don't know anything about the 2.4mentioned in the alfa/lancia kit.
imack
imack
Tech Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by mayner001 Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:48 pm

Thanks for the quick response imack, appreciated 👍 As far as I can tell, looks like the only difference between the kits pictured is the flywheel locking tool in one of them is a different design

mayner001

Back to top Go down

Post by imack Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:30 pm

But you can't use the flywheel locking tool unless you separate the gearbox from the engine.
imack
imack
Tech Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Hutchy Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:07 pm

i used one of these kits on a alfa a few years ago, if i remember rightly, once the bottom pully is removed you remove an oil pump bolt insert a stud then fit the larger tool with the holes in it to the crank using 2 original crank bolts and a nut onto the stud you fitted in the oil pump, then the cams have blanking caps you remove for the pins to lock them followed by a pin for the pump, it was fiddly in the alfa as there was not a lot of room, engine was lifted up and down a few times....never done a Vitara one and to be honest i don't do a lot of timing belts now, due to needing special tools and the shop near me used to rent them out, but sadly it has shut down Wink
Hutchy
Hutchy

Back to top Go down

Post by imack Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:25 am

You'll probably only be able to use one cam locking pin as I suspect the turbos in the way to get the locking pin in the exhaust cam. I doesn't matter as the cams are geared together so you only need to lock one cam. You only need lock both cams if you're removing the cams and drive gears.
There may be a pin to lock the fuel pump but you don't really need it as the new belt will have marks on it to align with marks the crank, cam and fuel pump sprockets. As mentioned above the lolipop shaped tool fits to the crank after removal of the pulley and locate via a stud that is temporarily fitted to one of the oil pump bolt positions.
imack
imack
Tech Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by mayner001 Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:41 am

Thanks both, I'm going to give it a go. I've ordered a tool set and managed to get a Quinton Hazell timing belt kit, with water pump, for £65.99 😊

mayner001

Back to top Go down

Post by imack Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:06 am

Always worth changing the pump while you're there in my opinion.
imack
imack
Tech Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by mayner001 Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:43 am

imack wrote:Always worth changing the pump while you're there in my opinion.
👍😊

mayner001

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down