Fuel additives

Go down

Fuel additives Empty Fuel additives

Post by AKC1 on Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:37 am

Are fuel additives a good or bad thing.
As most are aware, direct injection can often cause long term carbon build up on our valves. Especially if vehicles are used for many short journeys.
Can adding fuel additive in the tank occasionally help to reduce the amount of clog or is it just another snake oil waste of money con.
If you look at expert opinions online they all seem to give differing opinions, although most agree that the better mpg claim is far stretched.
I do many short journeys and am enquiring if it is a good idea or would i be throwing money down the drain?

AKC1

Back to top Go down

Fuel additives Empty Re: Fuel additives

Post by Hutchy on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:14 am

fuel injector cleaner on a gdi engine will only clean the injector tips and the part of the piston the fuel is injected at,as gdi,s are direct injection so nothing comes into contact with the inlet valves unlike port injection,I have tried all sorts over the years with my pajero GDI and found most to be snake oil crap except for one and it,s the oldest one on the planet called marvel mystery oil,this is a fuel treatment but can also be used in engine oil,very good for cleaning the crap out of GDI engines
Hutchy
Hutchy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:29 am

I have a Coleman camping stove that runs on unleaded petrol, over time the burner and plates go black , to clean it I use some Redex in the unleaded and it cleans the stove to like new

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by crozier on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:04 pm

In days of old when knights were bold and monkeys chewed tobacco, I used to do a street decoke on my dad's Riley 1.5. The process was to warm up the engine, remove the spark plugs, inject Redex into each cylinder, replace the spark plugs ( hand tighten), turn the engine over a few times and wait 20 mins. After this, tighten up and reconnect the spark plugs. Start 'er up and then put on the gas mask. Didn't I mention the gas mask? Well if you try this now you would be advised to wear one whilst awaiting a visit from the pollution control police. The smoke produced would do justice to the Normandy landings. This will burn off huge amounts of carbon, evidenced by low flying birds falling dead on the car roof and the sound of the fire brigade rushing to the scene of a reported conflagration.

Did it work? Oh yes!

crozier

http://www.croziergreen.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tigersaw on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:33 pm

crozier wrote:In days of old when knights were bold and monkeys chewed tobacco, I used to do a street decoke on my dad's Riley 1.5. The process was to warm up the engine, remove the spark plugs, inject Redex into each cylinder, replace the spark plugs ( hand tighten), turn the engine over a few times and wait 20 mins. After this, tighten up and reconnect the spark plugs. Start 'er up and then put on the gas mask. Didn't I mention the gas mask? Well if you try this now you would be advised to wear one whilst awaiting a visit from the pollution control police. The smoke produced would do justice to the Normandy landings. This will burn off huge amounts of carbon, evidenced by low flying birds falling dead on the car roof and the sound of the fire brigade rushing to the scene of a reported conflagration.

Did it work? Oh yes!

I recall there used to a 'decoke spray' available at all (dis)reputable motorists centres and market stalls - did the same thing - warm engine, rev the nuts whilst spraying into the carb. Awesome smoke, no idea if any good came of it.
tigersaw
tigersaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down