1st MOT Inspection due date & expiry

Go down

1st MOT Inspection due date & expiry Empty 1st MOT Inspection due date & expiry

Post by kwikphix328 on Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:11 pm

Hello,

My car was registered as new on 21 July 2017. So the 1st MOT inspection is due on, or before that date.

If I get the car MOT'd early before the 'due by' date e.g. on say 01 July, will the next MOT be due on 1st July 2021, or 21st July 2021 ?

Also, the MOT inspection on my Mazda MX-5 has been extended by 6 months from April ( when it was due ) until October  2020, due to Corvid-19 restrictions.

Does this 6 month extension also apply to my Vitara ?

I did check the .gov website however details for my Vitara weren't listed, probably because it has never been tested yet.
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

1st MOT Inspection due date & expiry Empty Re: 1st MOT Inspection due date & expiry

Post by Admin on Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:19 pm

My Vitara was due its first mot 29th June and this week it has been extended until December 29th
Afraid I cant help with the pre mot dates

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

1st MOT Inspection due date & expiry Empty Re: 1st MOT Inspection due date & expiry

Post by kwikphix328 on Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:26 am

How did you know it had been extended Karl, did DVLA contact you ?

I think I am going to get mine done anyway, 3 years is long enough and I'm quite confident it will pass.
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:57 am

I signed up for mot reminders by email on the .gov mot check site and when I had not received a reminder I then checked on the site that said it was now 6 months extended, like you I think i will get it done sooner rather than at Christmas

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hutchy on Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:17 am

keep an eye on that date Karl,it was announced on the news yesterday the 6 months mot extension date has been scrapped and all mot,s will resume from 1st august this year,this was due to the AA and RAC whining on about to many cars on the road with the potential of being dangerous due to the mot extension with regards to covid 19 personally i cannot see 6 months making a difference but the gov have listened to the AA and RAC and therefore changed the rules yet again Exclamation
Hutchy
Hutchy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:47 am

Thanks Hutchy, I am king of the screenshot with something like this...

1st MOT Inspection due date & expiry Screen51

As I said I will get it done in the next week or so rather than later

From what I read the MOT extension will end from August 1st and return to normal expiry dates

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hutchy on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:10 am

we had a bit of discussion about this in the court this morning as my neighbour runs a taxi and he still had to get his done due to it classed as public transport,i am getting mine done earlier as i do not want my mot in december as i do all my own work so want it shifting to August,that way the weather maybe a bit better for any work in future that needs doing,as my mate got rid of his workshop,but no doubt garages will be busy catching up come august
Hutchy
Hutchy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:27 am

ok i have had a development.

when i first checked the MOT status of my car they 'had no records available', probably because it had never had an MOT inspection.

I registered for a reminder as per Karl's advice above and during this process it stated that my MOT was due on 20th July 2020, so looks like no 6 month extension for me.

My Mazda MX-5 has still retained it's 6 month extension, 13 years old with 95K on the clock...

Last edited by kwikphix328 on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:37 am

Mine was exactly the same , no extension when I checked a month ago yet as I say I got no reminder so checked this week and it was extended?

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticking_fox on Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:22 pm

Hi, had the same thing on the Mazda 3 that I've just traded in against my new Vitara and the MOT extension doesnt show until a couple of days before it is due to expire.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/mot-extension-end-1-august-lockdown-lifts
Ticking_fox
Ticking_fox

Back to top Go down

Post by K1K on Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:25 pm

kwikphix328 wrote:ok i have had a development.

I registered for a reminder as per Karl's advice above and during this process it stated that my MOT was due on 20th July 2020, so looks like no 6 month extension for me.

Yes It does have a six month extension, all vehicles that are due an mot up to 1st August get the extension.

The new extended date is ammended about a week before its due, that's why its not showing yet.

However I think 12 months is long enough between tests imho

K1K

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:35 am

My MOT extended until 21st Jan 2021 now.
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:58 am

I am just a little bit peeved at the mo.

I put my car in for 3rd service and MOT.
The MOT Inspector noted an advisory:
Brake pad(s) wearing thin Front [1.1.13 (a) (ii)]

I have always found the OEM Suzuki brakes a little noisy, so decided I would use this MOT finding as an excuse to change my front discs and pads.

I chose to buy Bosch items as they were on special offer and seemed like a reasonable brand. The dics are coated too.

I stripped down the front brakes in anticipation of changing them , only to find that in my humble opinion the discs were in good order, not heavily worn or grooved. Likewise the original pads were also in good shape, very evenly worn, no cracks, damage, contamination evident, and I would say less than 50% wear, certainly not "wearing thin".

I cleaned everything up, removed a little surface corrosion from the edge of the discs, lubricated where required and put it all back together.

My £100+ Bosch pads and discs will get used another time now.

Doesn't instill confidence in the Service and Inspection i got though

edit: struggling to upload image
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:24 am

Was it a main Suzuki dealership?

Many garages are short of work and will try and prompt people into having jobs done by adding such advisories, especially on safety issues such as brakes, with the 6 month mot extension there is very little of the regular annual repair bills garages can charge

Another problem is the points system vosa have not testers working to where they have to give a certain amount of failures/advisories to show they are doing their inspection, unfortunately if all cars have passed the MOT that day some poor customer like yourself is going to get the "over cautious" advisory just to keep their points up with VOSA..........my SX4 Mot'd at main dealers Ludlow Motors had an advisory to the previous owner about "fuel filler pipe corrosion" yet the fuel pipe is plastic?

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:27 pm

Admin wrote:Was it a main Suzuki dealership?

my SX4 Mot'd at main dealers Ludlow Motors had an advisory to the previous owner about "fuel filler pipe corrosion" yet the fuel pipe is plastic?

Karl

Dealer: TJ Vickers, Telford.

A slightly dirty plastic pipe then  Wink

Hopefully in image of one of my brake calipers after i had cleaned and reassembled it, the other was basically a mirror image. plenty of wear left ( imho).  
I also cleaned off a little corrosion from the disc circumference with an old cold chisel, whilst rotation the disc. They seem less grumbly now...
1st MOT Inspection due date & expiry HMYziv9VxOG7MzJQcSYvKYw40xiRYlfBnx0kqCoezlFLD2XeZNTkCXvIJtBB6tu8OdiNjRioXmPaig_jJjhGJ9ocCuGB1YtTD6a4Cv0l_3uEx019hhKXGrzfHTGaxHLg7JsU1FnPh3PWPNrBmvmZxekvdTiJh9AOKbAj7cn3zvoXVKponYYA4HPECWeqLyZrHoQ__XDiuSTBcOQq6xjAJlcv14qn6qk8mhYIlxjeRgfQGDpCXn-SAGiKElLZWNme2DmuElInQpU5SQ35l4vw_ntV50wWSR66OREcwn-jKvKZp8u4RlIR3jk7QI4Pe--EF5xCywP8l-lehShJKlyzXBwVtzaCPK6t2mQ4ttwKqMwyPpzC16J1xNNB-QhWa7TOeI3CVEM6CU3wmbBJjuk2atxtOMrs7r3KsWeFYl8au6NDkP_WzgB89gZDPUapJ3_dAWr7iqi8x2uYs9EIcmlr6vJ5Mxso8Dl7tA8S0S6Mz1om2mldjjLL-bvpaqysTq-f3KE-z6zX4ApSCiG1ztctAEwCi4wtUKvCVqqAoqnHAyZWwpVGn8FCsSn8xqs9reSfCkUm-X2W_E9eOh_arQMQc4jr7LfFkB0P0m63LaNbcLsicFo-C__rXiqgZ6RkzWUl-JnTg8fhh60EFRzdbxep9AC1XjqZd4Mi5CflpvN9H8aUAkEJmo3NIneOFwvj=w624-h820-no?authuser=0
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:33 pm

Say no more on Vickers, unfortunately I live halfway between Ludlow Motors and TJ Vickers Shrewsbury and neither have installed any confidence in Service, Warranty or Parts Rolling Eyes

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hutchy on Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:07 pm

as mine is out of warranty i used my local garage for it,s mot,at end of august just gone,and it sailed straight through,only comment made was how clean and tidy underneath was,as for dealers Simms is my local dealer and to date i've had no issue,like the clock the other week,i sent an email querying the time loss,to getting a phone call the same day i sent the email,to arrange a booking,when it did go in they were straight out with a new clock fitted it checked the time and said keep an eye on it any further issues just ring or email us..so i cannot complain about the service Wink
Hutchy
Hutchy

Back to top Go down

Post by K1K on Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:59 pm

Admin wrote:

Another problem is the points system vosa have not testers working to where they have to give a certain amount of failures/advisories to show they are doing their inspection, unfortunately if all cars have passed the MOT that day some poor customer like yourself is going to get the "over cautious" advisory just to keep their points up with VOSA..........my SX4 Mot'd at main dealers Ludlow Motors had an advisory to the previous owner about "fuel filler pipe corrosion" yet the fuel pipe is plastic?

Karl

Sorry Karl but you have been misinformed, your statement above is not how the MOT System works and 'vosa' became the DVSA quite a few years ago now!

Also the last SX4 I inspected definitely had a corroded metal fuel filler pipe. Yours may have been changed.

kwikphix if you were unhappy with the result of your mot you should have returned and told them you think they made a mistake, maybe with a photo of the parts in question, the last thing a designated tester wants is an unhappy customer asking for a form VT17 Notice of Appeal.

K1K

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:25 pm

Was the SX4 a petrol or diesel?

Having purchased the vehicle a month past it's MOT advisory and the PO having more main agent paperwork than the local newsagents the pipe had definitely not been replaced, you can tell a new part a mile off especially on a rural vehicle

I will ask my regular MOT tester about the points system he advised me about

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by billywhizz on Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:12 pm

when i used too do mots ,a few years ago, the phrase used was if your unsure /pass and advise , there were times on certain cars when you could not see the inside pad thickness ,anyone who was a bit skitty would pass and advise Very Happy . there was deff not a points system over this issue .the points system was if you made missed a failure item or a paper work error or fraud and vosa inspected it and found out then you got points.

billywhizz

Back to top Go down

Post by K1K on Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:27 pm

One of the main problems with the mot system is it can be seen to protect the vehicle presenter and not the tester hence why you get testers 'covering their ar5e' in case of any future complaint, unfortunately as billywhizz says this can lead to unnecessary fails and advisories. The MOT system encourages this to some extent as it can be very ambiguous and unclear. It is far from perfect and is still being modified on a regular basis proving how bad it was to start with, there was universal condemnation of the EU system but the DfT adopted it anyway Mad

If there is a complaint which is upheld the DVSA uses a disciplinary points system to gauge the severity of any shortcomings, the total number of points is then used as a guide to the appropriate level of disciplinary action, this could be anything from advice up to a prison sentence and is one of the reasons why there is a shortage of testers.

Karl I would invite you to spend half a day with me to see what its like, you could be my assistant and I will even buy lunch! I did this with someone last year and they said it was an eye opener seeing it from the other side, they didn't realise about all the rules and regulations and how easy it was to get into trouble.
Don't get me started on upselling oh and I agree about the SX4  Wink

K1K

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down