steering wheel trim

4 posters

Go down

steering wheel trim Empty steering wheel trim

Post by Hutchy Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:43 am

for all of those who might be thinking of changing the interior plastics to a different color...then the most awkward one to do is the steering wheel,as the airbag has to be removed..now i managed to do mine yesterday..you do not have to remove the steering wheel but i did move the wheel closer to me for access behind it..sadly I did not get no pics as my phone died which is typical,but anyone wanting to do this there is a procedure for safety...ALSO (i accept no responsibility for damage injury to yourself or vehicle) first make sure you have your security code for for infotainment system or turn the security code off in it,s settings,disconnect the battery for at least 30/40 mins to allow any residual power to drain out of the capacitors...

once that is done you need a medium size flat head screwdriver and a torch..on the back of the steering wheel there are 3 holes as well as 2 with posi drive screws ignore the 2 with screws for now..using the torch look up into one of the 3 holes you will see a silver clip push it with a screwdriver until the airbag pops forward a bit,it is fiddly and a pain but be patient.. if your not sure look at the image you will see 3 red arrows these are the clips that retain the airbag in place...steering wheel trim S-l16010

the clips all push in towards the center of the wheel..once the airbag has popped forward you can gently lift it to see the underside,there is a black wire for the horn which i unplugged i left the main yellow wire attached but sat the airbag on a towel and wrapped some masking tape around to hold it in place...then to remove the trim you remove x2 posi drive screws from the rear of each of the steering wheel controls then gently unclip them from the wheel,then the coloured trim can be removed then just put it back together do not forget to connect the black wire for the horn back to the airbag place the air bag in position then push until you hear it click into place..then connect your battery
Hutchy
Hutchy

Back to top Go down

steering wheel trim Empty Re: steering wheel trim

Post by Grumpy Souter Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:22 pm

Great description and photo.
I have always wanted to do this change but never had the courage to do it.
I may ? have a go.
GS
Grumpy Souter
Grumpy Souter

Back to top Go down

Post by Hutchy Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:30 pm

just make sure you have your pin code or the pin code switched off on the infotainment before disconnecting the battery...its fiddly but once you get the first clip to pop the other 2 are easy
Hutchy
Hutchy

Back to top Go down

Post by birch Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:15 pm

Very informative,not sure I would have the courage to do mine though!
My mate was forman at a Merc garage and he had to replace a batch of faulty steering wheel air bags but before sending back to factory had the detonate them so hit on the idea of putting each one in a dustbin in the workshop car park and running a pair of wires back at what he thought was a safe distance...sounded like a series of sonic booms and he had ringing in his ears for a week!

birch

Back to top Go down

Post by AKC1 Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:19 pm

Excellent info Hutchy.
Very interesting.

AKC1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down