Tyre recommendations

Go down

Tyre recommendations Empty Tyre recommendations

Post by suzuki-loops on Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:09 am

I'm about to replace the tyres on my Allgrip Vitara.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good all rounder tyre? I have been happy with the standard fit Continentals but was wondering if there was anything 'better' out there.

I generally drive on roads, although I do use muddy/stoney byways on occasions but not full-on 4wd terrain.

suzuki-loops

Back to top Go down

Tyre recommendations Empty Re: Tyre recommendations

Post by crozier on Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:42 am

Lots of discussions on the "best" tyres, but recommendations vary according to seasonal/off-road/touring etc.

This may help Tyre Review if you are looking for a straight replacement to the Contis. Consider the road noise factor as the Contis are quite noisy

crozier

http://www.croziergreen.com

Back to top Go down

Post by suzuki-loops on Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:08 am

Crozier, thanks for the link, I will look carefully through it.

I am at the point where I am replacing all four tyres so thought this would be an opportunity to make the change. It's finding the balance between noise, performance and economy.

suzuki-loops

Back to top Go down

Post by Fin69 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:47 pm

I currently run Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen2 and having been impressed with their allround performance on my current vehicle, Skoda Octavia Scout, will be looking to fit them on its replacement which will hopefully be a SX4 S-Cross SZT Allgrip.

I normally run summer tyres on alloys, and Cold Weather Tyres on steels. Unfortunately, both sets of tyres, Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance and Nokian WR A3's were showing signs of cracking around the tread. I cannot complain as both sets were 5 years old, had covered 25k each and still had approximately 4mm of tread left. With the prospect of looking at £800+ to replace both sets, thoughts turned to All Seasons as possible replacements.

After doing a little bit of research I chose the Goodyears as they have a more 'winter' biased compound and tread, whereas Michelin Cross Climates appear to have a more 'summer' bias. Although it does not tend to snow a lot around here (I may have just jinxed myself!) temperatures tend to hover around 0C from October to April/May. At the time of purchase, July 2019, Kwik Fit Mobile were doing a promo so I got them fitted for £404 all in.

They are probably the best tyre I have fitted to my current vehicle; quiet and surefooted. Haven't noticed any difference with fuel economy. The one vast improvement I have noticed is due to there not being a dropped kerb leading up to my drive, on other tyres I would hear a clonk! whilst slowly bumping over it, tese tyres take it with soundless aplomb.

HTH

Fin

Fin69

Back to top Go down

Post by Doogs on Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:11 pm

I got my first car at 32(misses,new bairn etc.)From 17 till then I rode motorcycles 365 rain hail or snow.With bikes,tyres are very a subjective.Ive had tyres I thought were great but others thought were crap and vice versa.I think with car tyres are its pretty much the same as its down to the individual.My last car(front wheel drive hatchback) ,when it came to replace tyres,got a set of vredestein qualtrac 3's.Fast forward 40,000 miles and replaced them with qualtrac 5,s. Again nearly got another 40,000 out of them then replaced with the same.These tyres although classed as all seasons rather than winters took that wee car places in the snow it had no right to be.The misses has conti all seasons on her Vitara which we both think are great but when the conti ecos are done on my s-cross then it will be back to the vredesteins.Ps running a set of nokian wrd4 on 16' steelies in winter till I get qualtracs

Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony's here on Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:22 pm

Have recently fitted Bridgestone All weathers controls, first impressions, quieter. than Conti Eco's, ride undulations better & feel more surefooted through bends in adverse conditions. At £120.00 a wheel fitted at Halfords am happy enough to suggest as an option for those looking for replacements.

Tony's here

Back to top Go down

Post by suzuki-loops on Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:21 pm

Thank you for the above suggestions, it's good to get reviews from people that have actually tried the tyres on the car than just by reading reviews online.

I have made the decision to try the Michelin Cross Climate+ after speaking to the tyre fitter, as he suggested they were slightly better in summer temperatures than the Goodyear. They are marginally more expensive per tyre, let's hope I have made the right choice!

suzuki-loops

Back to top Go down

Post by CRNeo on Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:17 am

I'll be needing 4 on ours soon also for MOT in April as they are border line and seem to be the orignal contis, seems everyone is running all season or M&S tyres... is this the best option? No one seems to run summer tyres?
CRNeo
CRNeo

Back to top Go down

Post by Fin69 on Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:39 am

Depends on your needs and location.

Due to the cold temperatures I can experience all year round where i am, a winter biased All Season is the best compromise for me. The roads could still be icy in the early hours of a July morning when driving on the M8 to work. It also saves me swapping over from Summer to Cold Weather Tyres twice a year.

If I lived a bit further north I would probably stick to the Summer/CWT bi-annual swap over.

I'm looking to change my vehicle soon and changing the tyres over to All Season is probably one of the first things I'll do.

Fin69

Back to top Go down

Post by CRNeo on Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:03 pm

I'm north west near liverpool, rare that we see really bad weather conditions but recently not so sure!

I've ran winter/summer tyres before on other cars for a couple of years but found I didn't really get the benefit out of it so not done it since.

So just after a good all round tyre ideally around the £70 per corner mark if that's at all possible.
CRNeo
CRNeo

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:37 pm

A few people I know have been fitting Maxxis AP2 as a decent priced all season tyre, I think a 215/55R17 is around £73ea

This video gives a detailed view of the tyre....

You can see other people's reviews here...

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre/maxxis-ap2-all-season?gclid=Cj0KCQiA7aPyBRChARIsAJfWCgJI0vzubc4mqzN_dKC9q7KXrMdy1oZEixLpvSYKPI_DEpTAFwf8y0UaAssSEALw_wcB

As the original fitment spare is a Maxxis space saver they can't be too bad

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by CRNeo on Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:37 pm

Thanks, I seem to be running 215/60/16s on my SZ5 (not sure what determines which alloys you get).

The Maxxis were one of the options I was looking at, also the Nexen N blue 4 Season my dad has Nexen on his focus and they don't seem half bad for the price.
CRNeo
CRNeo

Back to top Go down

Post by CRNeo on Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:41 pm

Tyreleader seem to list the Nexen for £59 - has anyone used tyreleader before? Not sure if legit...
CRNeo
CRNeo

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:09 pm

Tyre leader I have used in the past and can either be very quick 24/48hr delivery or a week +....... would I use Nexen Tyres?????

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bazzer on Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:15 pm

I put Nexens on my last car, No issues at all.

Bazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by CRNeo on Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:37 pm

Can't be that bad they've been making tyres since 1942 apparently.... they seem to get reasonable reviews and the last few sets my dad has had nexen and they actually seem half decent (not going to win any high performance rewards but certainly good middle of the range and wouldn't class them as ditch finders)
CRNeo
CRNeo

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:52 am

Tyres are as many things in life a personal choice

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:20 am

I have very rarely found myself in a (non) sticky situation whilst driving in the dry, especially if the weather is above 7 deg, so i tend to choose tyres that review reasonably well for wet handling and wet braking in the UK.

I run winter and summer tyres on our Fiat 500 and my Vitara S.

I chose Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance for the MX-5 and it has never let go, rear wheel drive too. I would consider fitting them to my Vitara once the OEM Conti's get low, unfortunately with swapping winter/summer the Conti's seem to be lasting forever...
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by LourensL on Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:23 am

karl,

That's why I have Vredestein Quatrac Pro 245/45 R18 All-season tires, I love them 😍

Tyre recommendations 20190831
LourensL
LourensL

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:37 am

kwikphix328 wrote:.....I chose Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance for the MX-5 and it has never let go, rear wheel drive too. I would consider fitting them to my Vitara  

LourensL wrote:…….

That's why I have Vredestein Quatrac Pro 245/45 R18 All-season tires

Some quality tyre choices there  thumbl

Last week i had a blow out on a rental car "Budget" tyre at 60mph and -19°C , I had hit nothing on the ice covered road, just a loud pop and an instant amber dash and TPMS warning, having the tyre replaced the fitter said tyre failure on budget tyres was a common problem and although Nordic rated they were not as durable as the Premium tyre brands

Tyre recommendations Img_2093

Until I got back to the nearest town the standard Maxxis Space saver worked well for 100km although you could tell it was not as sure footed as even the budget studded tyre

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by suzuki-loops on Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:03 pm

As an update, I have had the Michelin Cross Climate+ tyres fitted for three weeks now. They appear to be quieter that the standard Contis and I do feel more confident in the current wet conditions with these tyres, they stick to the road. I appreciate that the Contis wouldn't have been perfoming at their best with only 3mm left, but I am pleased with the new tyres.

suzuki-loops

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down