About to buy a Vitara and have some questions

Go down

About to buy a Vitara and have some questions Empty About to buy a Vitara and have some questions

Post by karlotikas on Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:25 pm

Hello everybody,

I have posted to suzuki-forums but then I found this community (you guys seem more active) and was very happy. Hopefully next month I’ll be a proud owner of the new Vitara and a proper member here, but before I pull the trigger I have some burning questions.

Long story short I grew up in a family that was used to 4x4 cars. First we had a Lada Niva then an Opel Frontera and finally a 1999 Land Rover Disco 2.5. The Disco died on me a month ago (engine is gone because of a sudden oil pump failure) and I was left carless for a while.

I’m tired of service shops and the constant struggle to patch up an old car so I decided to look for a new 4x4 with warranty that’s within my budget. The new Suzuki Vitara AllGrip 1.4 fits my needs perfectly. I test drove it a few days back and I fell in love with it.

I want a simple reliable new car that feels good on the road, doesn’t consume too much fuel and with which I can travel through Europe for a bit (always was my dream). Am I right to think that the new Vitara will be good at all this?

And there’s also a reason why my family drove 4x4’s... We have a little cottage in the countryside and the road to it gets quite rough. I don’t think it’s a proper off-road track as I’ve seen a 2011 Skoda Yeti manage it with no problem but I’m still worried about it. So here are my questions:

1. Can the new Vitara AllGrip handle an off-road section that a 2011 Skoda Yeti manages without problem?

2. What tyre size would you recommend? I’ve looked through this forum and there were a couple of posts about this. Some say 215/60 R17 fit without problem but I’m looking to buy 215/70 R16 tyres with new r16 rims. Has anybody tried fitting tyres of this size without a lift? They should fit but is there any rub? BFGoodrich AT 215/70 r16 to be exact.

3. I’m looking into the GLX model with the panoramic sunroof but I’m hesitant because my old disco had many leaks. Any problems with the sunroof?

Thank you in advance and I hope all of you had a great start of 2020!

karlotikas

Back to top Go down

About to buy a Vitara and have some questions Empty Re: About to buy a Vitara and have some questions

Post by tigersaw on Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:51 pm

I've only taken mine off road onto clinker and mud tracks, but its coped fine. Also I have used the hill descent and it works well (when you read the instructions on how to engage it!)
Sun roof - no problems so far. Doesn't seem to wind whistle when open.
Simple car you say? - go get a Duster!  Very good off road, and feels comfortably basic compared to Vitara. Vitara has too many knobs and switches for my liking - eg fog light switch buried in a cluster of 6 which you cant find without looking. Too many warnings and bleeps going on when driving, cluttered steering wheel, poor sat nav/stereo. (my opinions only, others will vary Smile )
tigersaw
tigersaw

Back to top Go down

About to buy a Vitara and have some questions Empty Re: About to buy a Vitara and have some questions

Post by Admin on Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:06 pm

Welcome to the Forum Karlotikas  cheers

Glad to hear you have found the forum useful so far and hopefully others will let you know their views on the Vitara

karlotikas wrote:

I want a simple reliable new car that feels good on the road, doesn’t consume too much fuel and with which I can travel through Europe for a bit (always was my dream). Am I right to think that the new Vitara will be good at all this?

I have travelled thousands of miles from the UK to all parts of Europe in both my current 1.4S Auto and my previous 1.6SZ5 Manual as well as many other Rental Vitaras on holiday and never had any problems or discomfort, they are both comfortable and economical something you lose in many larger 4x4's

karlotikas wrote:

1. Can the new Vitara AllGrip handle an off-road section that a 2011 Skoda Yeti manages without problem?

As well as being very good off road the Suzuki Allgrip system is less problematic than the Yeti 4x4 system and does not require expensive servicing like the Haldex system ,
It is never going to be as good as a Jimny or other dedicated 4x4 with low range Off Road but neither is it not so great On The Road and a perfect compromise

There are several off road videos in the Video section to give an idea....

I have driven many of the Italian/French Alp mountain/military trails as well as deep snow in Iceland and never have I felt the 4wd system is lacking

karlotikas wrote:

2. What tyre size would you recommend? I’ve looked through this forum and there were a couple of posts about this. Some say 215/60 R17 fit without problem but I’m looking to buy 215/70 R16 tyres with new r16 rims. Has anybody tried fitting tyres of this size without a lift? They should fit but is there any rub? BFGoodrich AT 215/70 r16 to be exact.

BFG AT or MT are one of the best looking off road tyres and suit many vehicles but I have used them in the past and found they do not suit the lighter weight Suzuki, fist they are a very heavy tyre which affects both performance and fuel consumption (not great for question 1) and secondly as they are a LT tyre (Light Truck) the sidewalls are very stiff and can make the ride of Suzukis very choppy/harsh due to their lighter weight construction
I currently use on several Suzuki's (Vitara/Grand Vitara/SX4/Jimny) the  Yokohama Geolandar G015 that works both on the road and off it very well
Size wise some people like you say have used a 215/60R17 but the ideal size to prevent any rubbing or gear ratio (or gear changing on Auto) problems is the 215/60R16...…..it is not a huge tyre but does work well without issues

karlotikas wrote:

3. I’m looking into the GLX model with the panoramic sunroof but I’m hesitant because my old disco had many leaks. Any problems with the sunroof?

Sunroof leaks are not a problem, I did have the main exterior seal on my SZ5 changed under warranty but this was more a cosmetic issue rather than any leaks (I still don't know if it was the rubber that was perished or perhaps a bird had pulled at it thinking it was edible)

Any more questions please feel free to ask

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by karlotikas on Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:46 pm

Thank you Karl and tigersaw! It's nice to feel welcome here like this Smile

I think I will be looking into multiple 215/60 R17 tyres for my new Vitara. They should give it a +1cm lift which, I think, will be enough to get me to my countryside cottage.

I've been eyeing the Yokohama Geolanders too but I can't seem to make up my mind between them and Falken Wildpeak AT01's and General Grapper AT3's. All three of these seem to be in a similar bracket weight wise but I'm wondering if anyone had any experience with the latter two? What would you recommend?

As for the Dacia - I've had one test drive with it and I just couldn't handle how barebones it was Very Happy. And also the dealership said that I would need to wait until 2021 for an automatic. So I'm pretty sure Vitara is my best bet now.

karlotikas

Back to top Go down

Post by maxlev on Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:06 am

I sometimes tow a trailer with 500kg of coal over grass that is sometimes muddy.
An easy task for the Jimny & full time 4x4 Grand Vitara I used to own.
Current wheels Vitara AllGrip does the job just as well, traction is very good.
maxlev
maxlev

Back to top Go down

Post by Doogs on Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:16 pm

My misses has a Vitara with sunroof and I have an s-cross with sunroof. No problems/leaks with them.Only leak weve had was in the s-cross last year on the brussels ring road when drips started above drivers A piller.Thought it was sunroof but turns out it was the windscreen seal.Repaired under warrenty by henrys Suzuki in Glasgow.Fair play the rain/hailstones were exceptionally bad.Only other times ive seen it that bad was once on A9 in Scotland and once just leaving werfen castle in Austria a few years ago.As for touring euroland ,last year we did two trips,one was pretty much a circuit round france then through belguim on way home in june with the lad in the back.Hes well over six ft and wasn't impressed with headroom.Then in sept down to Italy Verona,rome,amalfi coast/sorrento,just me and her this time.So yes you can comfortably tour Europe in Vitara or s-cross.Were used to touring on motorcycle so can pack small and light.

Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post by karlotikas on Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:59 pm

Thank you for the input maxlev and Doogs. When I take the delivery of mine I will be sure to check for any leaks in the windscreen seal just in case.

karlotikas

Back to top Go down

Post by sakke on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:16 am

karlotikas wrote:I've been eyeing the Yokohama Geolanders too but I can't seem to make up my mind between them and Falken Wildpeak AT01's and General Grapper AT3's. All three of these seem to be in a similar bracket weight wise but I'm wondering if anyone had any experience with the latter two? What would you recommend?

I have already bought Geolander G015s at size 215/60R17, but they are waiting for spring time. Now is time for proper winter tyres.

I was also thinking about General Grabber AT3s, but their wet weather grip is very poor, and I mainly drive on paved roads. Geolandars is rated C on wet weather conditions, and Grabbers E.

I have driven with my Vitara S thousands of kilometers on Baltics duriong my summer holidays, also on dirt roads, and I have enjoyed Vitara's ride. For next summer I'm planning a road trip to Denmark: Helsinki - Turku - ferry to Stockholm and one days drive to mainland Denmark, and about the same route back.

I have tested Vitara on an off road training day: dirt, mud and cliff. It worked great - the AWD Lock setting is a great feature.
sakke
sakke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down