Full size spare wheel

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Full size spare wheel Empty Full size spare wheel

Post by billL on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:02 am

I have bought a steel wheel from Oponeo - 16X6J listed for SCross was nearest I could find at the time but they now list a 6.5J {same 50mmET offset) for the Vitara priced at £41 including delivery in 4/5 days. I have had a Barum 215/60 fitted bought for £64 from Tyre Shopper. Wheel fits perfectly with same clearance to strut as standard wheel. Spare fits easily in well but stands about 2" above boot floor. False floor still sits down in correct position but only about half and inch clearance above lower carpet! Still some useful storage for stuff around the wheel and jack etc. fit inside wheel rim. Great not to have to worry about punctures though - even though I may never need it......... Highly recommend Oponeo and Tyre Shopper- Barum is a Continental brand and should be fine for a spare. I made a retainer using a 4" length of 16mm U section steel and a length of M8 threaded rod with a couple of nuts.

billL

Back to top Go down

Full size spare wheel Empty Re: Full size spare wheel

Post by Admin on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:33 pm

Thanks for posting your finds, it is a shame you loose so much in the hidden floor section tho? Was there a reason why you did not go with the space saver 135/90R16?

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by billL on Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:11 am

Karl, I seriously considered the spacesaver. However I would be able to run on the full size spare without the speed restriction and mileage limit for a bit longer until a repair was made. I also wonder if the AllGrip would like the spacesaver - in bad conditions I think the 215/60/16, which is within 0.5% rolling radius, should not affect AllGrip or ESC ?

I think there is no right/wrong choice, just personal preference. At least, because I can't fill up the lower boot space with stuff I will have somewhere to store the punctured wheel if I am on a trip with the car full of dog cage, luggage etc. Very Happy

Bill.

billL

Back to top Go down

Post by theforestdweller on Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:41 am

I bought the Spacesaver while there some bargain prices on E-Bay  (Thanks Karl Smile ), but once I've got the new car next week I shall reconsider once I've seen how full size wheel/tyre would fit. Like billL I would go for a steel wheel and a cheap new tyre to remove speed/distance limitations until the failed tyre could be fixed. The Spacesaver should easily show a profit on E-Bay given the price paid Wink .
theforestdweller
theforestdweller

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:57 am

The 0.5% is less difference than the recommended 135/90R16 and I am sure you would get that in general tyre wear, the full vs spare really is six of one half a dozen of the other study

The false floor removed I thought would be ideal for a taller dog cage if needed, i'm not sure if the rake of the rear tailgate would cause any issues with the higher floor fitted...........currently our Border Terrorist is banned from the Vitara and can only travel in the Jimny, she once travelled out of her cage and left the back seat looking like a coconut shy, personally I would only let her travel on the back of the carry (although my other half says that is cruel)....

Full size spare wheel Wp_20146

Somehow they always seem to get their own way (dog that is not the other half  Very Happy  )...

Full size spare wheel Wp_20147

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:13 pm

theforestdweller wrote:I bought the Spacesaver while there some bargain prices on E-Bay......

They do seem to have disappeared on ebay TFD ( I had two of them Razz )

Recently I went to the Alps in my GV which is one they built for 18months with no rear mounted spare or wheel well
I carried a spare space saver wheel for it in the rear luggage area, the GV is not short on luggage space but the picture below makes you realise how unobtrusive the Vitara spare is full size or space saver...

Full size spare wheel Wp_20148

Karl

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Full size spare wheel Empty GENUINE SUZUKI FULL SIZE SPARE STEEL WHEEL 16 X 6.5

Post by Admin on Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:03 am

Following on from BillL's full size spare wheel I remembered I had these two types of genuine steel wheels in the garage.

They are spare wheel/space savers for the Grand Vitara 2005> JB series, the steel wheel size is 16" x 6.5" and is the correct offset, PCD, bore as the 2015> Vitara

Usually there are plenty on ebay around £20-40, the tyre (225/70R16) is too large for the 2015> Vitara but could always be resold towards a 215/60R16

Full size spare wheel Gv_spa10

Full size spare wheel Gv_tem10

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyD on Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:05 pm

Just joining the discussion with a question :

Ive just got a new Vitara 1.6DDiS AllGrip fitted with 215/55R17 tyres and an inflation kit which I would like to replace with a spacesaver wheel. The discussions on here talk about a R16 rim but my tyres are clearly R17's. Does anyone know what size spacesaver I should be looking for on ebay / secondhand?

Thanks in advance
John

JohnnyD

Back to top Go down

Post by Prokopas on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:06 am

Johny, the size of the spare wheel rim is indeed R16 (even if you have R17 on) and the tyre dimensions are 135/90/16.
Prokopas
Prokopas

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK on Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:44 pm

Kicked myself for not getting the last one that appeared on ebay for about £40-50 I sent a message to a breaker who had a SX4 in stock, his reply was he had one but price was £110 plus vat Shocked

RichK

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:10 pm

Does your Vitara also have a jack/wheel brace and towing eye, it seems the Dec build onwards did not have the Jack etc supplied either

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK on Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:42 am

Will find out today when I pick it up, if there is nothing there looks like I will have to go the dealer route. Why do they keep taking bits off as the build goes on Suspect

RichK

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:12 am

If the parts are missing see what price the dealer option is, I do know of a complete wheel, tyre, jack, brace, tow eye and polystyrene tray for £100 only thing missing is the retaining bolt
They have been in a car but never used

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK on Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:12 pm

Would be interested Karl. Dealers quoting today £270 for tyre, wheel, jack and tray Shocked
Car does have the towing eye and wheel brace.

RichK

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:34 pm

I will get some details and pictures off him for later tonight or call by his work tomorrow Rich if that's ok?

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lvadmaker on Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:48 pm

Just added a full size spare to our new Boosterjet, got the rim from Oponeo (thanks Bill l).
got the 16 X 6.5 et 50 (comes marked as suzuki on a label inside the rim, forgot to take a piccy)  price delivered was £37,  decided to get a continental eco 5 in 215/60 r16 V to get as close as possible to the same rolling radius and grip levels as the fitted 17 inch ones. Kwik fit have an online offer at the mo at £94.50, but I went to my local independent and paid £101.05.
It fits perfectly in the tyre well with the lower floor panel removed and you can even get it in place and still store a few thin items which still allows the upper floor to sit down properly. I have ordered a tyre cover from ebay to make it look a bit tidier and will probably make a copy of the lower boot panel but with a "tyre" sized hole in it to regain some storage down the sides of the tyre, I have attached a picture with the rim and rim tyre in the well for reference.Full size spare wheel 20160611
Full size spare wheel 20160610

lvadmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiara5 on Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:39 pm

Thanks again!
Just received a wheel from Oponeo, cost £39 including tracked delivery! Interestingly delivered from Poland in 3 days!
Hadnt any suitable threaded bar etc so used a load strap across two of the load lashing eyes( There are no slots so they are not usable when the upper boot floor is in anyway).
The lower floor, which is a bit flimsy fits in under the upper anyway and we think the whole thing has made a difference to the noise level in the car!

Tiara5

Back to top Go down

Post by crozier on Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:55 pm

Excellent info and thanks for the pics. Begs the question - What about the jack? Standard hydraulic bottle jack from Halfords would do but I'd be concerned about damaging the jacking points

crozier

http://www.croziergreen.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:42 pm

Great Thread,

I have had my 1.4 Booster for a week now very pleased with it.
I also dont like the look of the compressor and goo spare wheel solution.

We also have a 1.9 Fiat Sedici 4x4 with a spare set of 16" Steel wheels as i bought a set of new alloys off e-bay intending to run summer and winter tyres, however the Michelin Cross Climate tyres on the alloys are so good i never bothered with winters.

Looks like i should be able to run one of the Sedici steelies as a full size spare for the Vitara, after a wire brush and a lick of paint first !

Edited to Add:

Was looking & considering getting a new steel wheel and managed to pick up a brand new Genuine Suzuki Vitra 17" Alloy Rim off E-Bay for £50. It is not a full black Misti like i would prefer, but will be the basis for the perfect spare. I haven't had the car a month yet so figured I might as well spend the extra get what I really want early on in my ownership of the vehicle to get maximum benefit.
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by Emjay on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:19 pm

While waiting for delivery of my Vitara S last year. I considered and finally discounted anything other than a full size spare.

Concerned about whether if would fit in the boot prior to delivery and with no help from UK searches on Google which only showed space saver wheels. it took a while to finally track down a photo of a Vitara with a full size spare from an Australian magazine. And yes standard fitment there…

Was fortunate to buy a full size std Alloy Suzuki Vitara wheel 6.5j x 17 complete with fairly new std Conti tyre, extendable wrench and scissor’s jack from Ebay for less than £120. It’s the grey with polished spokes and not the gloss black std on mine, but still better looking than the space saver. Sacrificing under floor storage was to me a small price to pay for continuity of travel post puncture. Although having said that, there is still a lot of useful storage around and in the wheel.

Emjay

Back to top Go down

Post by digger06 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:26 pm

lvadmaker wrote:Just added a full size spare to our new Boosterjet, got the rim from Oponeo (thanks Bill l).
got the 16 X 6.5 et 50 (comes marked as suzuki on a label inside the rim, forgot to take a piccy)  price delivered was £37,  decided to get a continental eco 5 in 215/60 r16 V to get as close as possible to the same rolling radius and grip levels as the fitted 17 inch ones. Kwik fit have an online offer at the mo at £94.50, but I went to my local independent and paid £101.05.
It fits perfectly in the tyre well with the lower floor panel removed and you can even get it in place and still store a few thin items which still allows the upper floor to sit down properly. I have ordered a tyre cover from ebay to make it look a bit tidier and will probably make a copy of the lower boot panel but with a "tyre" sized hole in it to regain some storage down the sides of the tyre, I have attached a picture with the rim and rim tyre in the well for reference.]

can you send me a link for this wheel , I wanna make sure I get the correct one, are the wheel bolts the correct fitment for this, (alloy and steel often use different fastenings)

digger06

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 pm

This is the 16" steel wheel supplied by Oponeo...

Full size spare wheel 20170911

The standard wheel bolts/locks work on both alloy and the steel wheel, here it is fitted with a 215/60R16 Michelin CrossClimate+

Full size spare wheel Oponeo10

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigersaw on Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:29 am

Just to resurrect an old thread..
I'm picking up a new 2019 Vitara SZ5 allgrip in a few weeks, and the first thing I want to sort out is a full size spare wheel - I have always carried one in all my cars and have made use of it several times- no drama, worth the expense and additional weight.

It looks like all the legwork has been done by previous posters;

Am I right in thinking that  *ALL* I need is the Alcar KFZ 6525 rim from Oponeo, and get a 215 60R16 tyre fitted?
Then fit the wheel into the car with a home made clamp bolt or straps, along with a standard scissor jack which I can pinch from my Duster trade in.

No issues with tyre pressure monitoring system?
tigersaw
tigersaw

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:22 am

Also consider and look out for a genuine Alloy wheel to match what you already have.

I picked up a Misti alloy for <£60 off ebay. It was grey instead of gloss black, however I was getting all 5 of my wheels resprayed in Silver Sparkle powder coat anyway so didn't matter.

You will need to fit a ( circa £45 ) TPMS sensor too on the spare, or you will be nagged forever from the dash when you fit it.

kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by tigersaw on Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:36 am

kwikphix328 wrote:

You will need to fit a ( circa £45 ) TPMS sensor too on the spare, or you will be nagged forever from the dash when you fit it.

So the Vitara uses in tyre TPMS sensors?

EDIT: just did a forum search, so they do, how old fashioned!

EDIT2: I just read a Suzuki bulletin on the web that says "Do not use liquid sealants for a flat tire as air pressure sensors can be damaged." - but thats exactly what they provide, so something doesn't add up
tigersaw
tigersaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next