Noisy Brakes

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Noisy Brakes Empty Noisy Brakes

Post by kwikphix328 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:40 am

On the 1st March me and the missus drove through snow, slush and -5deg icy (treated) roads to get to the Airport. We then parked up and had 2 glorious weeks of perfect Tenerife winter sunshine sunny

On retrun my car lurched away from its parking space with a bit of a thump/bang from the wheels/brakes and we left for home. During the drive home my brakes were effective but extremely noisy, with a cyclic noise, this noise reduced but hasn't completely gone since.

I am pretty sure that whilst we were away the salt from the roads had probably corroded the brake disks/pads causing the noise. I have since done 120 miles of mixed road driving ( 70mph Dual Carriageway to small country roads) . the noise has diminished but is still evident when braking.

Is this something that the garage would look at an fix for free ( possibly warranty) or am i just as well to pop the wheels off myself and give them a clean/inspect and save myself some dosh.

The car has 6700 miles on the clock.

kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Noisy Brakes Empty Re: Noisy Brakes

Post by lvadmaker on Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:56 am

Had the same thing a few weeks ago, parked up after lots of snow slush etc, seemed to disappear after a few days of driving, also did a few harder than normal brake stops to clean the discs, did seem to be the rears, think it was cause by the hand brake being engaged!

lvadmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Ziga Vitara on Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:41 pm

I had a similar problem (I created a thread in the Troubleshooting section), my brakes weren't just noisy but there was occasionally a faint high-pitched noise at the end as well but a thorough cleaning of the chassis performed in a hand car wash solved the problem completely, so obviously it was just dirt / dust / snow / whatever that accumulated under the car.
Ziga Vitara
Ziga Vitara

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:54 pm

my brakes are quite noisy when i am in a stop start stream of traffic at slow speeds.it fills like they are grating when applied.also the dealer has not fixed the weird whine i get when going slowly back in reverse ??? i have only done 9000mls.do not get the whine when i go fast in reverse.odd ???

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by JDVitara on Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:13 pm

On a clear road, gently apply the handbrake to remove any build-up, be ready for alarms coming up on the dash.
JDVitara
JDVitara

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:41 pm

thanks for that will try what you say.

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:10 pm

There is a modified rear brake pad set/bulletin that eliminates most of the rear brake noise issues , mention it to your dealer and get them to replace the rear pads
Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:24 pm

thanks karl

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:07 am

I always used to do my own servicing on my vehicles as they were usually a bit older.
This is my first car with rear disc brakes.

What is the arrangement for the rear normal brake and the parking brake on these cars. e.g. disc/ drum /cable /hydraulic ?

The sun is shining and it's dry so i might pop it up on the jack later to give them a bit of a detailed clean/inspect/lube. At least it has proper ( and obvious) jacking points too...
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:52 pm

Be careful most modern disk calipers need a tool to wind the pistons in and out.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by STDI on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:25 am

graham04 wrote:Be careful most modern disk calipers need a tool to wind the pistons in and out.
Do you, or anyone else, know if that's the case for the Vitara?

STDI

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:30 am

I jacked the car up an spun each wheel by hand. The front brakes are relatively noise free, the rear brakes were noisier.
drove to work yesterday and gently applied the hand brake when on the motorway as suggested .
The noise is still there but i think it is reduced now, will do this a few more times, looks like the hand brake stuck the pads to the discs whilst parked up and contaminated with road salt for a couple of weeks.
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:00 pm

I haven't looked at the calipers but Karl or Gargreen will probably know more, as for the sticking issue it is not just a Suzuki thing. lots of cars will stick and grind for a short time after only a day. Especially if its been washed and left. I picked up a nearly new Peogeot 308 from a remote airfield where it had been for a month. It took a lot of revs just to move it, sounded like a buzz saw for about 5 miles . Cleared up and the disks looked like new again. Must be the make up of the pads and disks.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:21 pm

Yet to have the rear brakes apart on a new Vitara, cant guarantee a special tool is required but looking at a picture of a rear caliper piston it does have lugs that suggests a tool is needed to wind the piston back in

Noisy Brakes Ly_pis10

The earlier Grand Vitara with rear discs had a rear pad for braking and within the rear disc a separate pair of brake shoes to work the hand brake....................the Vitara and S-Cross use the same pads for braking and hand brake

The condition Suzuki describe for modified brake pad replacement is....

Suzuki GB wrote:After the vehicle has been left parked for several hours at low temperature and a high humidity condition, when starting (pulling away) from stand still or during light braking a groaning noise from the rear brake can occur.  

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:04 am

Admin wrote:

Suzuki GB wrote:After the vehicle has been left parked for several hours at low temperature and a high humidity condition, when starting (pulling away) from stand still or during light braking a groaning noise from the rear brake can occur.  

Karl

OK so parking up for 2 weeks immediately after driving through slush and snow should cover that Very Happy

To be honest as long as it eventually goes away I am not too concerned. The car still handles and brakes in a straight line, it just doesn't sound to good.
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:21 am

Brakes like many things have never been the same since all the nasty stuff has been removed (asbestos with brakes) but give Suzuki a try with their superceeded brake pad recall

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony's here on Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:51 am

Just back from month holiday to Aus, swilled underside plus wheel arches etc. prior to departure to alleviate salt issue, not easy as it was freezing as I sprayed, quick backwards & forwards to remove excess water then into garage. Guess what, first outing to supermarket on return...knocking & graunching from front nearside with perceived hot discs both front, not sure how hot they normally run but I did give them some treatment up the road to try & cure issue with some success. Going to whip wheels off & give a blow/brushing plus look see all round for peace of mind.

Tony's here

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:50 am

i have mine booked in to investigate the rear brake noise, I made the Service manager aware of the service bulletin (Thanks Karl) and they have ordered in the upgraded brake pads.
Must admit i am a bit sceptical that this will cure it without also doing something to the disks too but we'll see.
Earliest appt for this was 1st May though !
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by alamontana on Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:03 pm

kwikphix328 wrote:i have mine booked in to investigate the rear brake noise, I made the Service manager aware of the service bulletin (Thanks Karl) and they have ordered in the upgraded brake pads.
Must admit i am a bit sceptical that this will cure it without also doing something to the disks too but we'll see.
Earliest appt for this was 1st May though !

the modified pads work fine i have fitted about 50 sets now and no comebacks including my own car which is spot on now. so rest easy when suzuki do a fix it is usually a good one...

alamontana

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Thu May 03, 2018 7:07 am

So I took my car into the Suzuki garage where my brake pad mod had been booked in for about a month. I had to take some time out of work to drop the car off, get back into work, go pick it up again, etc, etc.

Service department phoned me back about 3 hours later to say sorry, can't do the job today as the new Brake pads haven't arrived and probably wont be here for another week !

name and shame: Norfolk Motor Group, Norwich.
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu May 03, 2018 7:43 am

How annoying, sounds like a lack of comunication between parts dept and service
I had a similar bad experience with TJ Vickers with my SZ5, service booked me in only to arrive and find no parts had been ordered for a warranty claim (also still waiting 18mnths on for them to tell me my replacement dash has arrived that they agreed to replace afterr damaging it during service)
Autosales Bilston on the other hand could not be more helpful, with my dads Vitara brake pad replacement the service guy collected his car from home leaving a new swift courtesy car and returned it the same evening

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrgrimsby on Thu May 17, 2018 2:30 pm

I've got noisy brakes, thought it was normal, how do I initiate a warranty repair?

mrgrimsby

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Sun May 20, 2018 6:59 am

mrgrimsby wrote:I've got noisy brakes, thought it was normal, how do I initiate a warranty repair?

In my case i contacted the Suzuki dealer that i originally bought the car from, i told them the problem, told them there was an existing service bulletin from Suzuki regarding this defect ( see Karls' posts earlier in thread ) and they booked it in.

It has taken a long time though, i originally contacted them about the problem in late March, the car is getting looked at next week !
oh yes, and the dealer is no longer a Suzuki dealer...
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Fri May 25, 2018 6:43 pm

Just had my rear pads replaced under warranty.
Will bed them in commuting for 100 miles over the next couple of days and hopefully all will be well...

Can't report any further as forgot to listen out and had my music on too loud on the 20 mile trip home Embarassed
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:05 am

Have carefully bedded in my new brake pads for about 200+ miles now.

Nil Fix. the brake noise is still there, i don't think it has improved at all. I suspect - and as i suggested to the dealer in the first place ; that the problem is not just the brake pads but the Brake discs too.

I have a test drive with their QC guy booked now.

Car is now 10 months old with 8750 miles on the clock.
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next