Headlamps Dazzling Oncoming Drivers

Go down

Headlamps Dazzling Oncoming Drivers Empty Headlamps Dazzling Oncoming Drivers

Post by Shawnh001 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:44 pm

Hi.
I’m sure I’m not the only one but it’s getting quite tiresome now after two years of ownership that this time of year sees oncoming drivers constantly flashing their headlamps, and even those that I’m following either brake test or pull over to let me pass.
Recently I was following a friend home who had previously said my lights were ‘weird’, pull over into a lay-by after he was convinced I was flashing and indicating to him to stop. After saying no it’s just how my headlamps are we carried on.
Fast forward a few months and now another friend has bought a Vitara S and he’s suffering exactly the same issues as myself. We’ve both had our headlamps adjusted to below the required level on a beam tester, and although it has obviously reduced our visibility on dip, the flashing saga still continues.
He has been doing some digging online a found this interesting video on YouTube which shows precisely what has been described to me when following others.
Have a look at it and see what you think.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bZAmFAavtoU
Shawnh001
Shawnh001

Back to top Go down

Headlamps Dazzling Oncoming Drivers Empty Re: Headlamps Dazzling Oncoming Drivers

Post by Gar Green on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:30 pm

As they are LED you have automatic adjustment whilst driving. The long and short it, your lights are brighter than the people who are flashing you who are most likely still using candles in jars.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Headlamps Dazzling Oncoming Drivers Empty Re: Headlamps Dazzling Oncoming Drivers

Post by Yorkshire pud on Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:46 pm

Just watched that video and I'm shocked at how bad the lights look! Must be very distracting for the person in front!!!
Is this caused by the led bulb or the fact it's a projector headlamp?
Yorkshire pud
Yorkshire pud

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony's here on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:19 pm

From my experiences on the road at night time I would say 90% of modern cars suffer the same issues, rather have them than not.

Tony's here

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:28 pm

As Gar and Tony say these are how modern headlights are, i find most people that flash me are older cars with yellow non LED headlights i dont recall being flashed by anyone using LED or projector lamps
As for the video i guess that is why the Vitara is fitted with Daytime Running Lights as LED's are possibly not designed for daytime use.............base model Vitara's without DRL's have standard H11 non LED bulbs

Here is a post i made in an earlier thread....

Admin wrote:..........what I have noticed is oncoming traffic with HID or LED rarely flash but standard headlight drivers do, are peoples eyesight more adjusted to our LED's if they are driving HID/LED equipped vehicles instead of the "candle in a jar"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1771460/

If you google "led headlights too bright" you can read everything from Prius to Range Rover owners being flashed by oncoming traffic, they cant all be wrongly adjusted headlights?

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Shawnh001 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:04 am

I totally agree with all the comments and to be honest I’ve never noticed the kind of movement from the driving seat that the video shows.
However it does kind of confirm what I’ve been told on more than one occasion and rather than give them a dose of full beam I may just sympathise with the next person that flashes me
Shawnh001
Shawnh001

Back to top Go down

Post by JDVitara on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:25 am

Read THIS

Try the adjustment and see if you have any lack of lighting after, you'll certainly stop getting flashed at.
JDVitara
JDVitara

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:38 am

I have adjusted mine so the right headlight is slightly lower than the left, giving a good light on the hedges and not bothering oncoming cars. As for the beam test, if you are not in the car with the ignition on, then the lights wont have levelled down automatically.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:17 pm

Did you adjust them yourself Graham ; and a happy New Year.........

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony's here on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:17 pm

Just drove my Toyota IQ with standard projector headlights!!!!!!*****quite happy to be flashed & see where I am going in the Suzi, pity full beam isn't as controversial

Tony's here

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken H on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:10 pm

Over 18 months and 21000 miles cannot recall being flashed more than in other cars we have owned , as tony said pity full beam is not the same

Ken H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:56 pm

I find that on normal dipped beam, if i keep a reasonable distance from the car in front, the top of my beam just about touches the bottom of their rear window. I was actually quite pleased at this and even wondered if there was some kind of sensor tracking the car in front so as not to dazzle..
Also i think that Full beam is pretty good too, turns the country roads that i travel down in daylight, overall pretty impressed on the illumination front...

kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:58 pm

That video was horrendous. I was wondering whether it had anything to do with a suspension problem or tyre pressures. It looked as though there was a power surge. Needs sorting.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:24 pm

Hi John Yes I did, with the car in the garage I drew a straight line across the door at the top of the dip beam. Just wound the right side down about half a turn on the the plastic nut that was pictured in the other headlight topic. Any flat wall will do. No real need for the pencil.
Graham

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:51 am

Thanks Graham....

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by alec on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:06 pm

I don't know what was following me home this evening down a fairly bumpy surfaced road , I think it was an Audi but the effect of the headlights in my rear view mirror was very similar to that in the video.
Either one or both lights appeared to be flashing. At one point I did wonder if they were actually flashing me for some reason.
I also got flashed by an oncoming car.
alec
alec

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:42 pm

You often get that effect on a bumpy road, best to juust dip the mirror and just look ahead.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by tjhmortimer on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:06 pm

I really need to get this sorted on my wife’s Vitara S. It resulted in ‘road rage’ yesterday evening as the Mercedes driver i’d been driving behind for some distance decided to erratically pull into a lay-by then back out behind me and proceeded to drive with his full beam on for 10 minutes also blinding any oncoming traffic!! I obviously gave him some rear fog light retaliation tactic, but still, Suzuki need to sort this!

tjhmortimer

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:50 pm

2 minutes with I think an 8 mm spanner , try easing them down half a turn at a time until you stop blinding astronauts . The Hungarians must have a different idea when it comes to measuring headlights.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by alec on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:29 pm

Must do mine, feel really concerned that I am dazzling other drivers.
I can be be following a car down the road and my headlights illuminate reflective road signs in the distance from way back.
alec
alec

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrust on Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:25 am

My 1.4S was in for its 2 year service yesterday (carried out at an independent Bosch garage that we have used for years), and without any prompting from me checked the headlamps on their beam checking equipment and found that both required downward adjustment. I know the settings have not been changed before, so for 2 years I've been driving around dazzling other drivers.
Last year when it was serviced at a Suzuki main dealer, they failed to notice this fault....... Sad
Petrust
Petrust

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:44 pm

I have not encountered the dazzle problem. It is probably due to the fact my car served as a demonstrator for the first 3 months; and no doubt the sales manager made adjustments to eliminate the problem.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:10 pm

No I didn't get flashed because I have already lowered the head lights. That drove me mad from day 1. Took some time to sort out as I was convinced it was dealer adjustment with a data tool. Until someone on the forum found that it was in fact a simple mechanical adjustment. I put some photos of the offending plastic nut in (TECH TALK. Led headlights) . One thing though, the self levelling doesn't work until you switch the ignition on . So leaving it parked with the lights on and a large weight in the boot is sure to blind everybody.
And as for the driveshaft, there are some things best not to look at. My nerves can only take so much.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by alec on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:40 pm

Driving home from work yesterday, bumpy road (the norm in Surrey), oncoming car's lights were flashing like crazy.
Then realised as it passed by that it was a Vitara S.
alec
alec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down