Tread depths front to back

Go down

Tread depths front to back Empty Tread depths front to back

Post by zcar on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:27 pm

Does the Vitara suffer from issues with the Alldrive if the tread depths front to back are different? I know the X Drive system on BMWs needs to maintain a certain tolerance between front and rear axles otherwise it damages the system. Just wondering if the Vitara is the same as the wifes front tyres are 3mm lower than the rears and just deciding whether to front to back this set and wear all four out together, or just wear the fronts down and replace them.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Nick
zcar
zcar

Back to top Go down

Tread depths front to back Empty Re: Tread depths front to back

Post by kwikphix328 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:19 am

I always thought that it was best to have your 'best' tyres on the front of the vehicle, however after having done more research on the net it would seem that it is always best practise to have your 'best' tyres on the rear of the vehicle.
I think that this is due to the fact that there is less risk of losing the back end and spinning the car if you lose grip when cornering, especially on wet/slippy roads.

I am in a simimilar situation at thsi time with our other car ( Fiat Sedici 1.9JTD 4x4). I will be putting the partially worn wheels from the rear to the front and fitting new rear ( Michelin Cross Climate - Brilliant grip and quiet too... )
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:12 am

T.B.H. in this day and age, I would suggest that the practise of putting the best tyres one end or the other is out of date. If two need replacing, best to do it all round. Of course big and expensive complications occur if a puncture causes the need to replace an individual tyre.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:37 am

Regular tyre rotation is probably the answer here, after 16k in in my SZ5 my Geolandars and rotating every 5k i have 5mm on 3 tyres and 4.7mm on the 4th. The full size spare that has never been fitted is 7.5mm

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:27 pm

Regular tyre rotation - the ideal solution - . But unless you have the facilities to do it yourself, would cost you an arm and a leg !!

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by zcar on Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:16 pm

Swapping them over isnt a problem as I have all the gear for that, I was more curious as to whether it would mess up the AllGrip if there was too much difference between the tread depth front to back.  

I know Xdrive doesnt like it and the Nissan XTrail throws a dickie fit if the difference is too much also.
As it seems everyone is keeping the wear pretty even then I will swop them round and even the wear out.

Nick

PS we inheritted the problem, as the car has 6500 miles on it from the first owner.
zcar
zcar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down