2WD V's AllGrip

2WD V's AllGrip Vote_lcap69%2WD V's AllGrip Vote_rcap 69% 
[ 43 ]
2WD V's AllGrip Vote_lcap31%2WD V's AllGrip Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 19 ]

Total Votes : 62

2WD V's AllGrip Empty 2WD V's AllGrip

Post by Gar Green on Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:59 am

It seem to the dividing topic of choice constantly, so let's put it to the vote.

Last edited by Gargreen on Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

2WD V's AllGrip Empty Re: 2WD V's AllGrip

Post by Ziga Vitara on Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:28 pm

4WD / AllGrip for me. Not because I'd be a hardcore off road driver but because of rain and snow. If I wanted a real off road car, then I'd go for Jimny.

Vitara is my first 4WD car and the difference is noticeable, a few weeks ago I was driving on highway in real downpour and the car was perfectly stable while driving at high speeds through rain puddles.

Not to mention that it handles exceptionally well on snowy roads too.
Ziga Vitara
Ziga Vitara

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:46 pm

4 wd every day for me !!! And the advantage of the Vitara All Grip is that economy is that of a 2 wd.

With a high centre of gravity, the Vitara 2 wd could be a little unstable in snow and ice, in 4 w.d. combined with snow tyres the Vitara performs as well as a Landrover Discovery which was amongst previously owned cars.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Vitaraphil on Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:49 pm

Me too, my first 4WD and now I have gone through a winter I would not be without one.
4WD any day!

Vitaraphil

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:12 pm

I am not suggesting that any one in this forum drives a 2 wd , and tells their friends it is 4 wd., but I have come across a few people who do just that. However, a 2 wheel drive Vitara fitted with snow tyres is a far better bet than an All Grip on standard tyres in winter.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by JDVitara on Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:16 pm

Allgrip for us.
Our previous car (and first 4WD) was a 2004 Mercedes ML, used as a 'soft-roader' in all weathers in the Dales and Cumbria, the grip was terrific.
Looking forward to the same sort of driving experience with the 'S'
JDVitara
JDVitara

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:07 pm

I think the Vitara is very special, as in normal drive mode it operates on 2 wd only. However, if a traction problem occurs it automatically engages the 4 wd mechanism. It is a bit like being able to shut the gate after the horse has bolted.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Neu on Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:15 pm

Check the "4x4 test on 3-rollers" video posted by DS under "AllGrip Operation" title Smile
Neu
Neu

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Souter on Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:54 am

The S is my 5th 4x4 and probably the best yet. Most of the time four wheel drive is not required but it is available if and when required.
I would agree with JOHNWALES that lots of people have 4x4 look alike cars to be in the "CLUB" but won't spend the money to buy the real thing.
Even with four wheel drive I always fit winter tyres and wheels for the added grip and especially the confidence they give when off road or when the bad weather strikes.
However each to his own, if it makes you happy so be it.
GS
Grumpy Souter
Grumpy Souter

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrust on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:50 am

I have owned a succession of 4x4 vehicles over the past 30 years; they included several Land Rovers, Toyotas, Isuzu, & Jeep). This was partly a necessity for work, as I frequently was required to visit quarries, landfills, & demolition and development sites, but also to facilitate access to my home. Where I live is surrounded by hills, which only need a whiff of ice or snow to render them almost impassable for 2wd vehicles.
The Allgrip Vitara is perfectly suited to my needs now I only work part-time from home; - it's compact, easy to park, cheap to run, but still has enough performance to put a smile on my face around the country lanes......
Petrust
Petrust

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:29 am

Grumpy Souter and Petrust; Suzuki should include your posts in their advertising material. Great adverts for the reality of the Vitara.

I owned a Discovery, and more recently a Freelander. Both were excellent vehicles, although expensive to maintain and run. The Vitara is a superb alternative at virtually half the price.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi John I think you meant in your post, you can shut the door " before" the horse gets out ! The Vitara is that good. Anyway bought mine for the sport option, although I did try it on a fairly steep bank and it climbed up without any effort. On the 2wd front has anybody seen some of the Renault youtube video's . They were driving out of muddy bomb holes from a standing start with only 2wd , it was amazing. Graham

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by terryk on Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:17 am

A confirmed 2WD driver! I couldn't justify the extra few grand for the 4WD option bearing in mind I do most of my driving in urban areas at low-ish speeds. I don't feel the need to drive at high speeds on a motorway during a downpour nor go out in snow, etc, when I don't have to.

I bought my Vitara for it's affordability, performance and looks, compared to similar vehicles. And when asked, I tell others I bought the 2WD option as I drive sensibly and I'm not likely to go offroad, etc.

Personally, I love my new Vitara and wouldn't knock anyone for buying the 2WD or 4WD option. Each to their own, I say!
terryk
terryk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:29 am

terryk wrote:A confirmed 2WD driver! I couldn't justify the extra few grand for the 4WD option bearing in mind I do most of my driving in urban areas at low-ish speeds. I don't feel the need to drive at high speeds on a motorway during a downpour nor go out in snow, etc, when I don't have to.

I bought my Vitara for it's affordability, performance and looks, compared to similar vehicles. And when asked, I tell others I bought the 2WD option as I drive sensibly and I'm not likely to go offroad, etc.

Personally, I love my new Vitara and wouldn't knock anyone for buying the 2WD or 4WD option. Each to their own, I say!

I didn't start the poll to single people out or give the impression of "we're better than you" but just for a people general view on why they bought what they bought. I drive every Vitara in the range daily and I couldn't really knock any of them
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Goudrons on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:41 am

2WD Vitara here, we've no real need for another 4x4 as we have one already.

Though when our Panda 4x4 is up for replacement, we might consider a Vitara S.

Goudrons

Back to top Go down

Post by maddog66 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:53 am

I bought my 2WD Vitara because I like the Drive, Style and "Feel Safe" factor about it. I have no real need for 4WD to be perfectly honest, but if I did I would have gone for it without a shadow of a doubt! Maybe in six years time, when I look to replace, I might consider the 4WD option then and have even more smile factor when driving!
maddog66
maddog66

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:38 pm

I acknowledge I have been too critical regards 2 wd owners, and apologise for any offence caused !! It is nice to think that people admire the Vitara for its looks and comfort, and not just for it's winter ability. I cannot imagine many people would want a 2 wd. Jimny !!!

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Goudrons on Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:25 am

People buy cars for all sorts of reasons.
Some of the UK's best sellers are 2WD versions of "Crossover" type vehicles these days, they sell so manufacturers make them.

We, like Terryk appreciate the ride and stance of the Vitara for the urban enviroment.
Ours, like I'm sure Terry's does, spends most of it's time shuffling along at ridiculously low speeds, climbing countless speed bumps and humps.

Sure, we could have bought something like a Sandero for less than 6 grand and it would still make the same sort of trips, but not in the same sort of comfort or usability.

We could have bought something like the Sandero Stepway for less than 10 grand, but it made much more sense to us to buy something designed in the first place to have the higher riding stance rather than just a jacked up hatchback.

It's probably more than likely these 2wd versions with their higher volume sales that make it possible for manufacturers to produce and sell the 4wd versions.

I wonder how many Tiguans and Ateca's they sell with 4wd?

Goudrons

Back to top Go down

Post by maddog66 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:49 am

JOHNWALES wrote:I acknowledge I have been too critical regards 2 wd  owners,  and apologise for any offence caused !!    It is nice to think that people admire the Vitara for its looks and comfort,  and not just for it's winter ability.    I cannot imagine many people would want a 2 wd. Jimny !!!

No offence taken here JW... We all have our opinions and should also respect the opinions of others. Life is too short to worry about such things. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
maddog66
maddog66

Back to top Go down

Post by terryk on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:48 am

In retrospect, it seems I may have come on too strong earlier and for that I apologise to other members who may have taken offence.

Had it not been for this forum, I doubt I would have bought a Vitara. Having driven company cars for over 30 years, at 55yo this was the first 'new' car I had ever bought and wanted to make the right decision. I'd researched this style of vehicle and found very little 'user experiences' via forums, etc, other than here. So, keep up the good work!
terryk
terryk

Back to top Go down

Post by 2015sz5 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:04 pm

I brought a 2wd but also brought set of winter tyres, 5th gear did a test 4x4 summer tyres vs 2wd with winter tyres, 2wd got further up the ski slope by a long way. Tyres cost me £300, cheaper than allgrip, if I had the money would have brought allgrip tho lol

2015sz5

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:30 pm

We previously had a 2009 Grand Vitara DDiS and loved the surefooted handling and grip, being a bit higher for seeing over hedges for deer spotting was a plus, out on Exmoor in the snow the grip was exemplary even on road tyres so when time to change came around I was drawn to the new Vitara although quite a different animal from the earlier one, with the intent of getting my hillclimb car out again at some time and seeing the results of front wheel drive vehicles towing a trailer and meeting a grass paddock !  the Allgrip was always on the cards, checked out several makes before deciding but value for money and equipment the Vitara wins by several country miles, ten months on and it gets better all the time.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:42 am

HILLCLIMBER wrote:...with the intent of getting my hillclimb car out again,

User name checks out
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content