USB stick but problems trying to use it

Go down

USB stick but problems trying to use it Empty USB stick but problems trying to use it

Post by Vitaraphil on Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:09 pm

I purchased a usb stick for music for the vitara.
The usb worked fine on the pc, uploaded music to it , but when I tried to use it in the vehicle this morning the media centre would not recognise it.
Does anybody have any ideas why it Will not work?

Vitaraphil

Back to top Go down

USB stick but problems trying to use it Empty Re: USB stick but problems trying to use it

Post by Loveness on Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:17 pm

Do you happen to know what format the files are? (E.g. MP3). My first assumption is either wrong file format or wrong drive format (FAT32, NTFS, etc.)
Loveness
Loveness

Back to top Go down

USB stick but problems trying to use it Empty Re: USB stick but problems trying to use it

Post by Vitaraphil on Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:36 pm

I have just been googling this on the net and FAT32 is being spoken about as the format.
I will try to check this out in the morning.
I used a windows media for the transfer of files and these files were at windows lostless quality .

Vitaraphil

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:56 am

I'd say the unit does not support the file type you've put on there. Put a few MP3 files on there and see if they show. If they do, you'll know it's the file type.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Rattly on Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:41 am

The stick should be formatted as FAT 32, the files all in a master folder labelled "Music", the MP3 format works perfectly well!
Rattly
Rattly

Back to top Go down

Post by Vitaraphil on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:55 am

The device is not recogised by the media centre so I tried the re format route.
My USB 512GB will not format to FAT32 -Volume set to high is what is the error is.
I have a 16gb Sandisc which I will try tonight.

Vitaraphil

Back to top Go down

Post by lvadmaker on Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:29 am

I had a similar problem with a Lexar 128Gb usb3 thumb drive, worked everwhere but in the Vitara, swapped to one of my older 64 Gb GTR survivor sticks and works ok

lvadmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Orukson on Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:54 am

Quoted from user manual (page 22):   Very Happy

The following restrictions apply for the data stored on SD cards and external devices connected to the USB port:
- File system: FAT16/32
- Max. 11 folders in depth hierarchy are supported.
- Maximum file / song number: 10000
- Maximum URL / file path length: 1024
Orukson
Orukson

Back to top Go down

Post by Rattly on Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:01 am

this unit is decidedly flaky compared to the Garmin units in the 2 previous S Cross's I had and the Swift Sport. On occasion it doesn't see my ipod and then when it does it doesn't show all songs or playlists, imho, the software is rubbish on this unit and needs a major upgrade...this is the only thing I really hate about the Vitara and now, they are fitting it across the range
Rattly
Rattly

Back to top Go down

Post by Vitaraphil on Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:06 pm

Tried the 16gb sandisc usb tonight and it was already formatted to FAT32.  Uploaded some tracks and tried it in the Vitara and yes it works fine.
So the only usb to use are those with a memory of 32gb or less and which are formatted to FAT32.

Vitaraphil

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:10 pm

It's a shame, but 32GB should be plenty of storage for some mp3s
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Loveness on Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:40 pm

Glad you figured out your problem even if it does mean a slight downgrade. As Gar said, 32gb should still be plenty storage for mp3s. Should be able to get a few thousand average length songs on there!
Loveness
Loveness

Back to top Go down

Post by Vitaraphil on Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:04 am

Loveness wrote:Glad you figured out your problem even if it does mean a slight downgrade. As Gar said, 32gb should still be plenty storage for mp3s. Should be able to get a few thousand average length songs on there!

Not really, as I have the music upload to WMA lossless quality close to 1mb per track as opposed to standard mp3 128k.
Have a couple of hundred tracks on the 16gb so I might also get a sandisc 32gb go between the 2 then.
It is more of quality of the recordings than quantity of them, hence why I was trying to upload to a 512gb usb.
I love my music and miss it when driving.

Vitaraphil

Back to top Go down

Post by Rattly on Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:14 am

Vitaraphil wrote:
Loveness wrote:Glad you figured out your problem even if it does mean a slight downgrade. As Gar said, 32gb should still be plenty storage for mp3s. Should be able to get a few thousand average length songs on there!

Not really, as I have the music upload to WMA lossless quality close to 1mb per track as opposed to standard mp3 128k.
Have a couple of hundred tracks on the 16gb so I might also get a sandisc 32gb go between the 2 then.
It is more of quality of the recordings than quantity of them, hence why I was trying to upload to a 512gb usb.
I love my music and miss it when driving.

The sound quality of the standard unit will not treat tracks of that quality justice as reproduction isn't great!
Rattly
Rattly

Back to top Go down

Post by rich123 on Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:00 pm

Google RMPrepUSB will let you format even large drives as FAT32.

rich123

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down