slight scratch

Go down

slight scratch  Empty slight scratch

Post by hicky on Mon May 22, 2017 8:31 pm

some axxhole has gone down the offside backdoor and put a very fine scratch along it.what is the best way to get rid of it,they have not dented it just taken a very thin line of paint off, help ????

hicky

Back to top Go down

slight scratch  Empty Re: slight scratch

Post by Gar Green on Mon May 22, 2017 8:58 pm

The general rule is, if you can catch your nail in it, it's too far gone. If that's not the case have a go with a DA polisher if you or a friend has one. Depending on the mark will depend on how corse a polish you'll need.

Do you have any photos to compare ?
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Loveness on Mon May 22, 2017 9:01 pm

Exactly what gar said. You need to feel it to know how bad it is. I've seen people thought they had a similar issue which turned out to be paint transfer from something else which cleaned right off. Hard to say the best route if we can't see the scratch.
Loveness
Loveness

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Mon May 22, 2017 10:38 pm

it is so fine you cannot feel anything regarding indent but I have tried to polish it out and it goes but as soon as I wash it it is there again.as I say very fine but you can see the white under the turquoise.

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by Loveness on Mon May 22, 2017 10:59 pm

Did you polish by hand? What type of polish did you use?

Your comment makes me think of something with fillers that would hide the scratch but then wash away when you clean the car.

If you do manage to get hold of a DA polisher, general rule of thumb is least aggressive method first and work back rather than starting too aggressively and making things worse.
Loveness
Loveness

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Mon May 22, 2017 11:03 pm

i used t-cut rapid scratch remover and the scratch goes but as soon as I wash it it seems to wash it off and I am back to square on ???

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Mon May 22, 2017 11:04 pm

should read one,

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Tue May 23, 2017 8:02 am

A body shop will have a professional polishing mop, bit like a large angle grinder and will mop the scratch away using several different compounds. Not sure how much , the stuff in Halfords may not be up to it. It may need some fine wet and dry first, that frightens me to death at first but the shine does come back.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Tue May 23, 2017 8:07 am

If it goes then comes back, it sounds like a filler polish, like AutoGlym SRP. I think you'll have to get hold of a DA and some Final Finish Menz polish for a good go at it.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Loveness on Tue May 23, 2017 9:39 am

I think that Farecla G3 Scratch Remover is pretty highly rated (and available at your local Halfords) but doing by hand will require some amount of elbow grease and most polishes with abrasives will need a finishing polish on top to bring it back to normal otherwise you'll see slight marring on the paint.

I'd definitely go down the route of a polishing machine to save yourself a lot of time and get a better finish. If you're not confident, maybe see if you can find someone trusted who does smart repairs. They wouldn't need to reprint the whole panel but do be careful if you take this route and make sure the person is highly recommended.
Loveness
Loveness

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Tue May 23, 2017 9:10 pm

thanks for that will look into it.

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Tue May 23, 2017 10:53 pm

I`m guessing that the Turquoise colour is a two pack base coat and lacquer, if the scratch is very light and looks like a fine white line the scratch will most likely be in the lacquer and not the base colour coat, we have the same problem with a metallic blue Swift, I`ve used Turtle Wax colour magic in the past with reasonable results, it is a polish with a coloured dye in it, I`m not sure if it is still available but I think a chat with a reputable bodyshop may be worth while.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Wed May 24, 2017 8:24 pm

i have just purchased what loveness recommended.you maybe right hillclimber it is a very fine white line going along the passenger door to wheel arch. thanks for your help let you know how I get on.

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Wed May 24, 2017 10:22 pm

You will be on the right track with Farecla, it`s a top quality product been used by the automotive bodyshops for donkeys years, certainly as long as I can remember.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Sun May 28, 2017 8:19 pm

I used what loveness suggested today and found it very good.the scratch went and polished it after and as good as new.did not need a lot of elbow grease very shallow scratch.i think our friend that mentioned it being a white coloured scratch it was just the laquer and not the actual paint.will soon know when I wash it and see if it comes back.anyway thanks for help lads.

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by Loveness on Sun May 28, 2017 8:21 pm

Well done hicky! Hope it's properly sorted now and you can stop worrying about it.
Loveness
Loveness

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Sun May 28, 2017 8:23 pm

cheers mate and thanks for your help.and the friend I mentioned was hillclimber.lol Very Happy

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Sun May 28, 2017 9:03 pm

Glad it's all sorted.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down