Soon to be Vitara owner

Go down

Soon to be Vitara owner Empty Soon to be Vitara owner

Post by terryk on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:23 am

Hi, I'm Terry from Dagenham (yes, I have owned a Ford in the past!). Firstly, I have to say what a terrific forum this is. I've spent a few hours having a look-see and very much liked what I saw.

Long story, short...I was made redundant last summer at the age of 54yo, having worked for the same firm for over 33 years and driven a company car for the majority of that time. Having turned 55yo a couple of months ago I decided to make those pension contributions work for me and took early retirement. I currently run an 09 plate Mazda which I bought as a stop-gap until I aquired a brand new car. After many weeks of research, etc, I decided upon the new S-Cross.

That was until I went to my local dealer and saw the Vitara! Had a good look around it (an SZ4), liked the dimensions, etc, and went home with an arm full of brochures and the promise of a test drive. I watched the reviews, a good number of them being with with 1.4 S along with the 1.6 SZ5. I liked the idea of the 1.4 turbo engine, however my test drive in the 1.6 petrol engine convinced me it would suffice for the type of urban driving I do. So I plumped for the 1.6 SZ-T in grey with the black roof. Ordered it early April with a supply date of end of April/beginning of May. I thought about adding a pack, but decided any modifications might slow down the delivery process. Being an ex-engineer, I thought I'd probably be able to tackle most mods myself.

First addition will be a dashcam hardwired to the fusebox (although I've read there might be issues with the 'add-a-fuse' mod due to insufficient clearance with the fuse-box cover). Secondly, the centre armrest then the spare-wheel kit. Then, just get out and drive the beast!

Cheers...Terry.

Last edited by terryk on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
terryk
terryk

Back to top Go down

Soon to be Vitara owner Empty Re: Soon to be Vitara owner

Post by Rattly on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:38 am

Welcome to the club! all of the mods you list are straight forward..enjoy!
Rattly
Rattly

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:42 am

Welcome to the Forum Terry and thank you for the kind words regarding the forum and its content

Being an ex engineer you will find vitara ownership will lead to very little if any mechanical issues so choosing to fit accessories yourself was a wise move

Your comment on the power supply for a dash cam is correct in that the piggy back fuse/power supply is not the best in conjunction with the vitara fuse box

For a switched and fused 12v supply i personally adapt the patch lead between the main loom and the 12v accessory socket in the centre console

I will post an "How To" on converting this patch lead during the week but for an idea you can see the lead before and after in this post

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk/t238-heated-seat-kits?highlight=Heated+seats

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:19 pm

You can save a bit of cash by fitting an Armster centre arm rest from £60 online, they do 2 versions for the Vitara. I have the adjustable one, its a simple fit and does the job. Not as much storage space as the original but I can live with that. The 1.6 is a sweet trouble free engine.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by Rattly on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:04 pm

I fitted an armster 2 but, I found it was too high and always in the way, changed to an OEM one I still have the armster here !
Rattly
Rattly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:05 pm

Welcom to the forum. Like everyone has said, it's easy enough to fit the packs yourself and will save you a few quid.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:32 pm

hello i have the sz-t and cannot fault it . and as you say the 1.6 petrol is a cracking engine.plus all the reports say how reliable Suzuki engines are.

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by terryk on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:20 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the warm welcome. It's great to get several replies within a matter of hours! Thanks too for the tips and links, I'll certainly be looking at following them up.
Cheers...Terry.
terryk
terryk

Back to top Go down

Post by Goudrons on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:36 am

terryk wrote:Hi, I'm Terry from Dagenham

I liked the idea of the 1.4 turbo engine, however my test drive in the 1.6 petrol engine convinced me it would suffice for the type of urban driving I do. So I plumped for the 1.6 SZ-T in grey with the black roof.

First addition will be a dashcam hardwired to the fusebox (although I've read there might be issues with the 'add-a-fuse' mod due to insufficient clearance with the fuse-box cover). Secondly, the centre armrest then the spare-wheel kit. Then, just get out and drive the beast!

Cheers...Terry.

Great minds think alike.

We're almost neighbours, though I think some sort of passport is needed to cross the river, but we've just ordered a 1.6 petrol SZ5 in grey as well.

We based the decision on engine the same way!
Over 11,000 miles the over half's last car averaged 11 mph, anything other than the NA 1.6 would be a bit unnecessary.

I'm also a fan of dashcams, particularly as we both commute in and around those that are more righteous than the motorist!

I've a SD card with the Police at the moment as someone decided to pick their bike up and panel beat my car with it after they attempted a rather silly and failed overtake on a junction.
The look on this knobs face when I just handed over the card was a picture, especially as his statement was a total pack of lies up until then.

Goudrons

Back to top Go down

Post by Rattly on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:35 am

Which dash cam do you feel is the best?
Rattly
Rattly

Back to top Go down

Post by terryk on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:21 am

Hi Goudrons and Rattly, thanks for your replies. The dashcam I have earmarked for my Vitara is the Viofo A119S. It's a low profile dashcam very similar to my current one. It sits high on the windscreen, behind the rear view mirror on the passanger side. Power cable is routed along the headliner, down the door pillar to the fusebox beside the passanger footwell.

NB. Apologies, I can't post links or pics yet, I'm too new here!

terryk
terryk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rattly on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:22 am

Thanks Terry!
Rattly
Rattly

Back to top Go down

Post by theforestdweller on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:57 am

terryk wrote:First addition will be a dashcam hardwired to the fusebox (although I've read there might be issues with the 'add-a-fuse' mod due to insufficient clearance with the fuse-box cover). Secondly, the centre armrest then the spare-wheel kit. Then, just get out and drive the beast!
I piggybacked mine. Yes you will have to "modify" the fuse box cover - cut a little away - but it's out of sight and not prone to any damage. I keep a hardcopy of the fuse layout in the (OEM!) centre console, since the "mod" requires losing some of the imprinted information on the cover.
theforestdweller
theforestdweller

Back to top Go down

Post by Goudrons on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:51 pm

The A119S is a good cam, I thought I might try one of them or the Street Guardian which is very similar for our new Vitara.

I've ran a few A118C's which fits in a similar way and also has a capacitor instead of a battery, in fact I still have one in the front of my car with the optional GPS plugged in.
Day time is good, night average and there is a bit of dash reflection, they really need a CPL filter but you need to fabricate something to attach one.
Overall they're a good buy for £40 or so and gives us 10% off our insurance.

I've just rigged up a Mobius action cam in the rear of mine via a remote lens extension cable.
The cam it's self is hidden in the headlining, just the lens hangs down in the window.
With a wide angle lens it covers around 130 degree, perfect for a rear, catch all cam.

In our lad's car I've fitted the Mini 0805 with built in GPS in the mount.
Overall it has better images than the Mobius and A118C, but the install isn't as neat or well hidden, though is does unclip from the mount/cable very easily and CPL's are easy to fit.

There's a good forum/site called Dashcamtalk (again, I can't link) with lots of help and reviews.

I've a few vids taken on the A118C on youtube, but youtube uses some sort of compression that alters the quality (and I still can't link!)

Just a word of warning when buying these cams, there are quite a lot of fakes and cheap knockoffs floating about places like ebay, which tend to be older models in newer boxes.
They end up useless if you try and flash the firmware!

It's worth ordering them via the links on the sites cam reviews.

Goudrons

Back to top Go down

Post by terryk on Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:48 pm

theforestdweller wrote:I piggybacked mine. Yes you will have to "modify" the fuse box cover - cut a little away - but it's out of sight and not prone to any damage. I keep a hardcopy of the fuse layout in the (OEM!) centre console, since the "mod" requires losing some of the imprinted information on the cover.

Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, which fuse number did you piggyback?  

Cheers...Terry.
terryk
terryk

Back to top Go down

Post by terryk on Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:02 pm

Goudrons wrote:I've ran a few A118C's which fits in a similar way and also has a capacitor instead of a battery, in fact I still have one in the front of my car with the optional GPS plugged in.
Day time is good, night average and there is a bit of dash reflection, they really need a CPL filter but you need to fabricate something to attach one.
Overall they're a good buy for £40 or so and gives us 10% off our insurance.

I currently have an A118C rigged up in my Mazda. As you say, it's a good picture during the day (bar the reflection), and only average at nightime. I'm contemplating removing the A118C when the Mazda is traded in and mounting it in the rear of my new Vitara, however I've no idea where to route the power cable from/to.

As an aside, I found a website: www dot carcamcentral dot com which do online reviews. There was an interesting article about which SD cards are more suitable for dashcams. My currently installed dashcam carries a NOT recommended SD card. I wondered why it occasionally reboots several times before settling down to record. I'll have a look on Dashcamtalk too. Thanks!
terryk
terryk

Back to top Go down

Post by theforestdweller on Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:00 pm

terryk wrote:
theforestdweller wrote:I piggybacked mine. Yes you will have to "modify" the fuse box cover - cut a little away - but it's out of sight and not prone to any damage. I keep a hardcopy of the fuse layout in the (OEM!) centre console, since the "mod" requires losing some of the imprinted information on the cover.

Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, which fuse number did you piggyback?  

Cheers...Terry.
From memory, it was fuse No.29 one of the accessory fuses in the under dash fusebox. It goes live when the ignition  is switched on. I would strongly recommend a capacitor dashcam rather than one with a battery which invariably seems to fail very quickly. One note of caution, on mine anyway, is  that there is a momentary loss of power to the camera when pressing the starter switch. Sometimes this is of a short enough duration  that the capacitor can maintain power to the camera, but during winter starts when things take a little longer to fire up, the camera switches off and needs a button press to restart. It is now habit for me when starting up to glance at the rearview mirror to see if the power light is on, as it is just visible behind the mirror - if not, a quick prod and normal service is resumed.

I made good use of the DashCamTalk forum when I was researching. IMHO it is one of the best for accurate, informative information.
theforestdweller
theforestdweller

Back to top Go down

Post by Goudrons on Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:17 pm

Terry,
Does the SZ-T have a rear power socket in the boot?
I believe the SZ5 does, if so you should be able to plug into that, I presume it'll be switched live on the ignition.

You may need to get creative with the cable to reach over to the tailgate window when the tailgate is opened, as there can be quite a gap when it's open.

Forestdweller,
Some cars will inhibit various circuits when starting to make sure the starter gets full whack. You can often alter the auto power off timer in your cam settings to overcome this.
Instead of it set to power off immediately, set it to power off after 1 minute.

Or try another circuit, my current car lists which circuit/fuse does what which is handy.
Some fuses are switched, some are permanent, some are switched but inhibited during starting.

Goudrons

Back to top Go down

Post by VooDooZG on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:33 am

Hi all

I'am torn between 1.4 boosterjet vs 1.6 with LPG, Vitara S vs full equipped 1.6 with LPG ( i would put front grill from Vitara S, ect ) !??

what would you choose ?

VooDooZG

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:02 am

In the UK the LPG is not an option on the Vitara from the dealers, Very few if any manufactures fit LPG as standard. 
You can get LPG fitted after purchase but i doubt your warranty would be valid

As for 1.4 Boosterjet or 1.6 both are very good engines yet both are very different.
To get the 1.6 anywhere near Boosterjet performance you need the Sport mode that you get with Allgrip but even then the Boosterjet has far more kick

If you are a sporty driver i would say Boosterjet, for more touring the 1.6 but for something inbetween the compromise would be the 1.6 Allgrip with Sport Mode

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VooDooZG on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:08 am

Admin wrote:In the UK the LPG is not an option on the Vitara from the dealers, Very few if any manufactures fit LPG as standard. 
You can get LPG fitted after purchase but i doubt your warranty would be valid

As for 1.4 Boosterjet or 1.6 both are very good engines yet both are very different.
To get the 1.6 anywhere near Boosterjet performance you need the Sport mode that you get with Allgrip but even then the Boosterjet has far more kick

If you are a sporty driver i would say Boosterjet, for more touring the 1.6 but for something inbetween the compromise would be the 1.6 Allgrip with Sport Mode

Karl

But 4wd is like 80kg more heavy, wouldn't than 1.6 with 4wd go slower than 2WD model ( and ofc. all grip is like 2000€ more so it doesn't match my targeted price )

btw.. sorry for my bad English Wink

VooDooZG

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:34 am

Your English is fine, far better than some English members Laughing

Is the Boosterjet Allgrip in Croatia? In the UK we only have 1.4 Boosterjet AllGrip so assumed you were in that price range

I have driven a 1.6 2wd that if revved is not exactly slow but the Allgrip in Sport mode is a different thing all together 

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VooDooZG on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:08 am

Yup, we have Vitara S ( only one with 1.4 Boosterjet ) and we have 2wd, 4wd, and at awd

And lets say that price is about 1000eur difference, 1.6 GLX ( most premium ) 2wd is about 18700eur and Vitara S is about 19800 eur with perla white met.
Lpg is about 1000eur total..

I have to say that atm i don't do more than 10.000km per year but maybe i would do more if i would have LPG ( LPG is about half of the price of petrol, in summer even more like 1/3 )

I do like Vitara S but I'am a liitle affraid of 1.4 boosterjet because of consuption ( 90% in city drive ), and turbo vs atmo = more problem in some other brends like vw/skoda/seat/audi ect..

VooDooZG

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:19 pm

My father has the 1.4 Boosterjet and I have the 1.6 SZ5 both AllGrip

I am averaging 46 MPG  =  6.1 litres per 100 kms my father 49 MPG  =  5.8 litres per 100 kms
I drive quicker in my 1.6 than my father but driven sensible the Boosterjet can be economical yet give it some throttle and as you are smiling the mpg will drop

My reservation would be the LPG conversion, in the UK LPG conversions are not factory fitted and often have reliability issues

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rattly on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:38 pm

I had two S Cross diesels (I was doing a lot more miles) before. Now I have the Vitara 1.6 Petrol, All Grip I am really pleased with it, sport mode is very good! Didn't want turbo petrol as I have had some bad experiences with Petrol Turbo reliability in the past, may not be the case with Suzuki, just didn't want to chance it
Rattly
Rattly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down