Possible new owner, test drive tomorrow

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Possible new owner, test drive tomorrow Empty Possible new owner, test drive tomorrow

Post by Goudrons on Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi everyone,
Been a bit of a lurker for a week or so reading up all the threads.

I must say this is a excellent site, I've found lots of useful info regarding accessory fitting and the likes.

The Mrs has been on at me about swapping her car over to something with a bit more ride height and after the usual trips around dealers, reading reviews and the likes, we fancy the look of the Vitara. We've also got a bit bored of the usual euro snotboxes of late.

We got shut of her current car today and I seem to have lost mine, and our boy his (the natural pecking order at work!), so I'm trying to accelerate the  process of replacement.

Anyway, what we're looking for probably isn't what others might choose a Vitara for, it's really just about ride height and a bit of nice kit to play with at a reasonable cost rather than performance, economy or off road ability.

I've a 4x4 myself, so no real need for another, it'll spend nearly all of it's life shuffling around Central London, so a diesel will get ruined and a 1.4 S would be pretty much wasted.

So we're looking at and SZ5 1.6 petrol as we can bag one on a deal with £3500 off as we both work for the NHS.

Question is I've a test drive tomorrow and would appreciate knowing anything I should look out for in particular.
I know that the sunroof can cut into head room a bit, but we both can adjust the seat height so it's not a problem.

Is there anything else I should be mindful of?
Is there anything other owners missed on their test drives that have come to light after?
Any help would be appreciated, Ta.

Goudrons

Back to top Go down

Possible new owner, test drive tomorrow Empty Re: Possible new owner, test drive tomorrow

Post by JOHNWALES on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:29 pm

Make a point of viewing the average fuel consumption, if you are buying used. Dealers seldom reset to zero, and I find this a brilliant way of establishing how a car has been driven.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Possible new owner, test drive tomorrow Empty Re: Possible new owner, test drive tomorrow

Post by Admin on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:32 pm

Welcome to the Forum Goudrons cheers

What can we say?
Each one of us has our favourite be it Petrol or Diesel, 1.6 or Boosterjet, 2WD or Allgrip but one thing you will find is very few unhappy owners or any real faults
Keep us posted on how the test drive goes and your thoughts

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:38 am

Bang for your buck the SZT is the spec to go for, but if you can push that little bit more the SZ5 is a must. Personally I'd only go for the Boosterjet engine but as you say what's the point in London. My mate lives there with a 300hp Golf R which he can't get out of second.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Goudrons on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:08 am

Thanks for the replies.

I did notice on the site there's little reported trouble and I've been around long enough to know forums is where you find the most reports.
The new Vitara has been out a few years now and I would have expected a few more issues, I suppose no news is good news!

The NA 1.6 was really what lead us to the Vitara, nearly everything else on the market has a troublesome 1.2 turbo Renault/Nissan engine or diesels.

Most petrol cars these days are all downsized turbos, I've one myself, but they're a bit busy in towns for us.
Sure, they're great on the open roads, keeping the turbo spinning is most of the fun, just we have a major shortage of open roads around here.

Her last car averaged 11 mph over 3 years, if I could find one, a clock work engine would be perfect!
Electric is out as we've nowhere to plug it in, plus I don't like the swampy eco warrior image.
Fire was mankinds biggest leap forward, setting petrol on fire his next!

I'll report back once I've test drove, I might have some more questions.

Goudrons

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:02 am

To throw a curve ball in and what spec you can get read here....

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk/t581-sz-t-vs-sz-t

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goudrons on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:56 am

All being well with the test drive we're thinking this
www DOT nhs DOT motorsourcegroup DOT com/new-cars/suzuki/vitara_527/vitara-estate/16-sz5-5dr_68212/

She likes the seat fabrics and the sunroof!

The differences between this and a normal retail sale is only in the finance, if that's the way we go.

APR on retail is 2.9% at the moment and on the motorsource/affinity deal it's 6%.

But that's 6% of a much smaller amount (£3500 smaller), in effect, if we finance is via them, the saving is nearer to £2700.
Still a healthy saving over retail, over three years it works out at £75 a month less.

It's dealt with via Motorsource as they seem handle Suzuki's and a few other manufacturers Affinity schemes.
It will be supplied by Suzuki dealer of my choice.

A couple of my colleagues have used them in the past and the deals on the site are real, if you qualify.
In fact, I don't think anyone that parks here at work has paid full retail price!

Griffin/DDS are another company that deal with other manufacturers schemes.

Fiat/Afla/Jeep have their own schemes, Privilege and Affinity, you have to search these out via a police fed website, but they are open to other groups.

All these schemes seem to be open to employees of various organisations, NHS, Diplomatic, Police, Military, Teaching, BT and so on.

I think even season ticket holders at MK Dons quailfy for Suzuki's affinity scheme.

I not allowed to post links yet, but if anyone is interested, I'll do my best to point them in the direction of these schemes.

Goudrons

Back to top Go down

Post by Goudrons on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:54 pm

Test drive complete.

Big thumbs up from the Mrs and I thought it drove exactly like I thought it would, though I didn't quite expect the nice engine growl and the pleasant reaction when the needle hit 4000 rpm.

Only noticed a couple of things though.

Steering's a bit light on the straight ahead.
On the move it was ok at slow speed, but once up to speed it did feel a little odd, not really loose, but I thought it might have weighted up a bit more.
I suppose it's something you get used too.

Over a really rough road surface, it did have that boxy estate car flex/shimmy from the back end.
Though it's hardly a shock due to it's shape.

To be fair, we later drove our car down the same road, but this time rattled our fillings loose, so all good really.

So we're about to pull the trigger on a SZ5 petrol in metallic grey.
Had an offer today for any metallic paint at half price.

Goudrons

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:10 pm

The electric power steering is variable with speed and it sounds like the tyre pressures may have been set on economic rather than comfort
One thing I forgot to mention was the awful noisy continental tyres fitted as standard but this is all part of the economy drive

Great to hear you enjoyed the test drive, if you do get the chance just out of interest try an allgrip in sport mode, that does wake the 1.6 up and the 1.4 is just silly but fun

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:26 pm

i and a couple of others find the same thing with the steering.????

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by Goudrons on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:42 pm

Has it been an issue?
Does it track ok at speed on the motorway?

Goudrons

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:47 pm

14000 miles including motorway trips via Italy/France/Luxembourg and Holland and I have no issues altho I do run comfort tyre pressures and Yokohama tyres

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rattly on Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:05 am

I use mine on the motorway every day, with comfort tyre pressures it's fine!
Rattly
Rattly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:20 am

I don't get this pulling at all. It's absolutely fine.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Dougie M on Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:20 pm

I find the steering fine and have always had the tyres pressures on comfort.

Dougie M

Back to top Go down

Post by theforestdweller on Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:52 pm

Going back to earlier post re. affinity deals, I checked out the price of the chosen model via my CSMA membership. They use Lex Autolease as their suppliers. I got a price of £15963.18 and that includes metallic paint. I didn't look at the finance as I always pay cash.

With regards to steering, it's absolutely fine  on mine, but being a diesel there's a bit more weight on the front. Motorway cruising is an effortless pleasure. Now 17 months into ownership and liking the car even better. It's now equal first in my book alongside the Hyundai iX35 I owned, pushing my late SEAT Freetrack into third position!
theforestdweller
theforestdweller

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:33 pm

I have mine set on comfort and still find I have to correct a lot more than I did on my focus,s and captur.and after driving artics for 35yrs I do know about steering. Wink

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by Goudrons on Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:34 pm

The offer we've got has recently changed by a couple of quid due to the new road tax rules, it's £15996 plus £250 for metallic paint for a SZ5 2wd petrol.

Good to hear the steering doesn't seem to be an inherent fault.
Must remember to set the pressures to comfort as soon as it arrives.

Goudrons

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil on Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:12 am

Random experiences since we got ours nearly 18 months ago :-
Get a front centre armrest
Check 1st to 2nd gear change doesn't clunk with a drivetrain shunt. If it does get the dealer to sort it with a software - yes really - update
Be prepared to be flashed as dipped headlights are seemingly set too high
Consider a space saver spare if it doesn't come with one. The compressor and tyre slime supplied are useless in most cases
Satnav/head unit is a bit marmite
As mentioned above steering is a bit light for me but fine for SWMBO
Tyre noise is high but grip levels are pretty good too helped by stability/traction/get-you-out-of-most-trouble/ gizmos
Emergency braking can be annoying
You've already discovered the rather wonderful growling noise from the engine when making positive forward progress

Phil

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Alrewas on Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:14 am

A set of mud flaps is also a good idea.

Alrewas

Back to top Go down

Post by Goudrons on Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:53 pm

I've already priced and sourced an OE armrest.
Read the fitting guide and watch the fitting Vid, it's the first thing on my list.
I'm not paying a dealer £60 or so just for four screws and a couple of bolts!

It's something I miss in my car, that doesn't have one even as an option, been eyeing up an Armster for that.

Do they benefit from flaps?
I've never bothered with them before, I just thought they were something dealers fitted so you thought you were getting something for nowt!

Goudrons

Back to top Go down

Post by theforestdweller on Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:10 pm

Goudrons wrote:Do they benefit from flaps?
IMHO yes! They stop a lot of the muck and grit splashing up onto the bodywork. I ran my Mokka without for a few weeks before I fitted the mudflaps and the difference was very noticeable. I would personally recommend the flexible type - they're cheaper, look better and work well. To my mind the rigid versions look very much like an ill fitting afterthought. This is my seventh SUV style vehicle and I've had them all fitted with mudflaps - some I even had to pay for:shock:
theforestdweller
theforestdweller

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:14 pm

ditto above about mudflaps.i put them on my captur and the difference was startling.i now have them on my sz-t same result. Shocked

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris on Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:26 pm

Goudrons wrote:I've already priced and sourced an OE armrest.
Read the fitting guide and watch the fitting Vid, it's the first thing on my list.
I'm not paying a dealer £60 or so just for four screws and a couple of bolts!

It's something I miss in my car, that doesn't have one even as an option, been eyeing up an Armster for that.

Do they benefit from flaps?
I've never bothered with them before, I just thought they were something dealers fitted so you thought you were getting something for nowt!
Thanks for the details of the armrest...just ordered one for our SZ-T as also missed from our last S-Cross.

Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Goudrons on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:05 am

Those accessories fitting vids aren't in English, but it's clear enough how to fit one.
I've got all the tools required, lump hammer, sticky tape and extra strong glue.
Should be simple.

I'm hoping I can get my deposit down on a SZ5 today.

Just hope the delivery time isn't too long, The Mrs has stolen my car and won't give it back.
I can't find my keys, even the spare's mysteriously vanished.

I have to bribe our boy for use of his car. (and it's not cheap)
It's a long time since I drove a car where the stereo is three times as powerful as the engine!

She handed me an Oyster Card last week, I don't even like seafood!

Goudrons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next