Lock Mode Query

Go down

Lock Mode Query Empty Lock Mode Query

Post by Jester on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:29 pm

having been stuck (beached) on a rutted green lane recently I had to place wood under one wheel out so I could get traction to back out of the ruts it was in. I had the wife jump in the driving seat having made sure that lock mode was on and ESP was off.

What I noticed was that despite each wheel having the ability to rotate freely when power was applied they each rotated unevenly or not at all, not what I would have expected from the way I understand lock mode to work.

Have I misunderstood the nature of how lock mode is supposed to work?

Jester

Back to top Go down

Lock Mode Query Empty Re: Lock Mode Query

Post by Admin on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:25 pm

Lock mode will supply 50/50 drive to both front and rear diff's, what it does not do is fully lock the diff's to prevent drive escaping through a spinning wheel left to right
It is possible that "ESP on" would have been better in this situation as it would have detected a spinning wheel and applied a brake to distribute drive to a wheel with traction

"ESP off" is more useful when you need momentum while moving rather than when you are stuck, if you require forward motion and the ESP detects a spinning wheel it will apply brakes to a spinning wheel reducing forward motion

All the above is totally opposite to traditional 4wd systems and does take a while to get your head around things but once put into practice it is very clever

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jester on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:29 am

Many thanks.

need to work out how to upload photos of my adventures so far.

Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:35 am

Photos are the best part of a forum camera

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down