Windscreen wipers

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Windscreen wipers - Page 2 Empty Re: Windscreen wipers

Post by Loveness on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:02 am

Wow. That's showing as £13.49 on their website just now.
Loveness
Loveness

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:19 am

If you register online with Euro parts, there are weekly discount offers and you may get an extra 30% off, plus a click and collect facility. I use them quite often.
                          Graham

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall bloke on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:41 pm

I have cleaned the windscreen with window cleaner, car shampoo and a newspaper with no change. I think I have some tiny chip marks at the very edge of the drivers side swept area. It clears nicely on the way up but on the return it leaves lines. No matter how much I clean the window nothing changes. I might try some glass polish and see if I can polish the marks out.
Tall bloke
Tall bloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Fin69 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:34 pm

For those interested in going down the Prestone route, Homebase used to sell Prestone products, but since they were taken over last year, seemed to have stopped selling their products (as well as pulling out of the Nectar reward scheme) but that may be down to just my local store.
However, Screwfix have it £5.99 (collect only!);
Screwfix Prestone Screenwash

Another thing to worth considering is if your vehicle spends any length of time near trees. Although my vehicle is parked under a carport, there are trees on at least two sides, and there is a large amount of pollen that shows up on the bodywork shortly after I have spent HOURS cleaning it. The tree sap is more noticeable at night.
On the plus side, that gives me the perfect excuse to go clean the car again.

Fin69

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall bloke on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:11 pm

No sap on the windscreen, the car is garaged every night. I have scrubbed the windscreen 3 or 4 times but nothing changes. I think the windscreen may be chipped, but can't see anything.
Tall bloke
Tall bloke

Back to top Go down

Post by alec on Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:53 pm

alec wrote:My drivers side blade is juddery and noisy on the upstroke but ok on the down.
Seems worse sometimes than others.
Was really getting on my nerves on my way home from work the other evening and I only have a 4-5 mile commute.

Have cured my noisy wiper.

I'm not sure how because I
a) cleaned the windscreen with my Autoglym glass cleaner
b) cleaned the wiper blade
and
c) turned the blade over.

It was one or a combination of the above.
alec
alec

Back to top Go down

Post by sspearl on Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:47 pm

My driver side wiper leave's 2 X smudge marks one way, can't remember weather up or down. Can be acceptable some times and quite annoying other times. I have cleaned the glass without any change.
When I inspected the rubber blade you can see a difference in the ware pattern on each side. It looks like on one side the blade lays over a bit at the two flex spots. I think it could be the blade quality or the blade holder.
My first service is due in a few weeks so will let them know hope they have a fix.
sspearl
sspearl

Back to top Go down

Post by sspearl on Fri May 12, 2017 6:07 am

Service dpt fixed mine said they adjusted the wiper arm looks like a new wiper blade to me as well. Tested it when I got home with a hose and no more smudge marks

Last edited by sspearl on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
sspearl
sspearl

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall bloke on Tue May 16, 2017 9:38 pm

I fitted a new Bosch blade after it happened to the original. Within a few weeks it was doing the same with the Bosch blade. Not convinced it's the blades though.
Tall bloke
Tall bloke

Back to top Go down

Post by sspearl on Wed May 17, 2017 8:57 am

Hi Tall bloke I now know the service dpt changed my wiper blade and the blad holder, so far so good.
sspearl
sspearl

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Wed May 17, 2017 11:07 pm

When I was working this used to be a regular problem with wiper blades juddering on one stroke but quiet on the other, it is all to do with the angle of attack between the blade and screen, to work correctly the blade has to be at 90 degrees to the screen so that it cleans equally on each stroke, if we take the example of a blade juddering on the up stroke but not on the down it`s because the blade is digging into the glass on the upstroke and sliding over it on the down (imagine pushing a wood chisel along a piece of wood and it will dig in, pull it back and of course it slides over) and you will see what I mean, to stop this we need to very slightly twist the wiper arm in the appropriate direction, the way I did it was to get a small adjustable spanner, use a piece of card or similar in the jaws to protect the paint on the arm, imagine you are standing by the o/s/f wheel looking across the bonnet to the other side, if the wiper is juddering on the up stroke we need to gently twist the arm (rotate) in an anticlockwise direction, conversely if the judder is on the down stroke we need to rotate clockwise, (you grip the flat section of the wiper arm in the jaws of the spanner of course), this takes far less time to do than describe I assure you!  if by accident you twist in the wrong direction all you will do is make the problem worse and you will soon find the correct direction, if you have wear in the blade to wiper joint it will make a slapping noise on direction change but will not judder.

Hope this may help, once you get the hang of it  it`s a piece of cake.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2