Windscreen wipers

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Windscreen wipers Empty Windscreen wipers

Post by Tall bloke on Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:02 pm

Has anyone else had issues with the drivers side windscreen wiper? I changed the factory fitted one in Jan after it had been on the car for 8 months as it was leaving lines on the return wipe. There was no damage to the blade as far as I could see.  I replaced it with a Bosch one costing around £18 for one and now that one is doing the same. It clears the screen on the upwards sweep, but then leaves a couple of lines of water on the return sweep. I have had the blade off and given it a good clean, I have also given the windscreen a really good clean. The problem will just not go away.
I can see tiny marks on the windscreen at the very edge of the swept area which I think is the cause.  Does anyone else have similar or experience something like this?
Tall bloke
Tall bloke

Back to top Go down

Windscreen wipers Empty Re: Windscreen wipers

Post by Loveness on Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:22 pm

I've got the same thing happening with my S. Still got OEM blades fitted as i haven't changed them since I got the car in September.
Loveness
Loveness

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall bloke on Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:04 pm

Interesting to hear that. I'll give it a while and see if anyone else has the same.
Tall bloke
Tall bloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:35 pm

Same. Changed once. Top tip, Suzuki will warrant blades and bulbs within the first 12 months.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall bloke on Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:27 pm

Gargreen, did the new blades sort the issue or is it still the same?
Tall bloke
Tall bloke

Back to top Go down

Post by skrammel on Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:43 pm

I have the same on my Vitara S. Quite annoying

skrammel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall bloke on Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:37 pm

It almost seems to be an S issue.
Tall bloke
Tall bloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:43 pm

skrammel wrote:I have the same on my Vitara S. Quite annoying

Solved it initially, but now they're much the same as the last set.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Orukson on Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:57 pm

Tall bloke wrote:It almost seems to be an S issue.
It's not only an S issue.
I did have the same issue with the wipers from the beginning and also I could not see any damage on the blade (rubber part).
It was leaving few lines on the way down. I managed to fix that by simple turning over the rubber from the blade and now it leaves lines going upward and cleans everything on the way down.
Orukson
Orukson

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:01 pm

mine seem alright one second and then another time i get that horrible dragging noise across the screen.more so on intermittent.

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall bloke on Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:30 pm

Seems a long shot to blame the bales if I fitted Bosch and it's still the same.
Tall bloke
Tall bloke

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:22 pm

Its unlikely to be blades if the new set are the same. It must be the screen. So although you said you cleaned it , then a seriously hard scrub with alcohol wipes or a good quality windscreen cleaning product may sort it. If the problem is still there then you may have some very fine chip damage which is hard to spot. A windscreen company would be able to polish out minor imperfections.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by plunet on Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:59 am

For me, apart from the scour lines on both blades, the area that is not being cleared effectively is the overlap between the two blades. If just doing a few wipes this area is pretty bad, but if the wipers are used continuously them it gets better.

I was going to discuss with my local dealer in the next few days when it goes in for its 12m service.

plunet

Back to top Go down

Post by Loveness on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:01 am

That's exactly the problem on mine. Passenger side stops and leaves the clear line which should be wiped on the return of the driver side but it feel like the driver side just passes over this to an extent.

I was going to try a good clean and maybe even use some glass polish with a DA polisher to see if I can sort that out.
Loveness
Loveness

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:35 am

If it makes you guys feel any better I have a scratch on my screen on the drivers side, full sweep directly in line with the drivers vision....

Windscreen wipers Scratc10

With the amount of salt/grit being spread on the roads locally I am guessing that is the culprit Sad

Prior to that I was using the Genuine Suzuki Screenwash (Green + Apple scent) and had no issues with the screen/wipers cleaning. Unfortunately the above screenwash has I believe been discontinued and the replacement Ecstar Screen wash (Yellow + Urine Scent) is awful

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Loveness on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:42 am

That would drive me crazy Karl!

At the moment I'm using Halfords -20 Citrus stuff just for the minus temps. Goes to about -7.5c when diluted. I don't think that's the issue but I'm not loyal to them so I wouldn't mind switching if it was causing problems.
Loveness
Loveness

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:11 am

Likewise Loveless, I keep meaning to call Autoglass but usually past closing when I remember to call, hopefully being an SZ5 with sensors it will be a genuine Suzuki screen replacement?

A few years back Ford did some screenwash intended for Scandinavian countries, it never froze but in a way was too good as it removed any trace of grease on the screen and left dry streaks as it evaporated too quick

Cleaning glass the best thing I was taught was to use newspapers, even on our log burner the glass is crystal clear

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fin69 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:15 am

Even though it is winter and I park my vehicle in a carport, the windscreen gets covered in tree sap, resulting in the wipers d-r-a-g-g-i-n-g across the screen to the point you would consider replacing the blades. I found using AG Glass Polish at least once a week solved the issue.
As for screen wash, Lidl sell a 5l winter screen wash for approximately £5 that used undiluted is good for -70°c. I use a 20% solution to cover central Scotland winter temperatures (from October to May the early morning temperature hovers around 0°c).
I cannot comment on its smell as my vehicle automatically activates recirc when you activate the screen wash!

Fin69

Back to top Go down

Post by Loveness on Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:22 am

I've been waiting for the Lidl stuff to come back. Had it two years ago and I've never seen it for sale locally since!
Loveness
Loveness

Back to top Go down

Post by Jester on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:29 pm

Have you tried cleaning your windscreen with a claybar?

Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Dougie M on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:33 am

I've been using Prestone All Seasons screenwash for quite a few years now and it's really good at clearing the screen - no streaks and no noise from the wipers. Put it in my wifes  recently bought Fiat 500 which had very noisy wipers - now quiet.  It can be hard to get hold of but is always available in Costco.  Another added bonus is it puts a coating on the screen.  Hope this helps.     Dougie

Dougie M

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:48 am

Thanks for the heads up Dougie, Prestone is a big brand in the USA  (hence Costco) but I have also seen their products in Asda (Walmart USA?) Or Tesco but can't recall for definite

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alec on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:51 am

My drivers side blade is juddery and noisy on the upstroke but ok on the down.
Seems worse sometimes than others.
Was really getting on my nerves on my way home from work the other evening and I only have a 4-5 mile commute.
alec
alec

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:29 pm

Windscreens/Wipers are a nightmare but most is down to how you clean your screen or dilute and quality of the screenwash

Try wiping your windscreen with an old newspaper, I have found this the best believe it or not

Something also to look out for is the local Hand Car Wash people (who I don't use) who don't dilute their Traffic Film Remover correctly and it is more on the strong side than weak, my nieces Swift drivers window would not raise on the auto close as it detected an obstruction 7/10 times she used it, turned out the TFR had dried out the door window rubbers causing the glass to stick and think was an obstruction, a spray of silicone in the window rubber channel and problem cured

I believe the above also strips the windscreen of all the grease which in turn causes juddering as well as attacking the rubber on the wiper blade itself

PIAA make windscreen wipers and they supply a liquid that you apply to the screen and blade then leave them running for 30 minutes to bed in the wipers to the screen

PIAA wrote:PIAA silicone wiper blades require just thirty minutes of use to give a silicone coating to your windscreen. The silicone coating repels rain and snow greatly improving visibility during extreme driving conditions. Improved visibility makes for greater safety and PIAA blades are proven to ensure superior performance over a longer period of time. PIAA wiper blades out perform any other wiper blade currently on the market.

The wiper blades are supplied individually and are available in a choice of lengths as a standard blade or with a spoiler.

Karl

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:49 am

Dougie M wrote:I've been using Prestone All Seasons screenwash ..........It can be hard to get hold of but is always available in Costco.  Another added bonus is it puts a coating on the screen.  Hope this helps.     Dougie

Found this Prestone winter formula 5l at the right money yesterday in Euro Car Parts...

Windscreen wipers Presto10

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next