1st service

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

1st service - Page 2 Empty Re: 1st service

Post by Petrust on Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:24 am

terryk wrote:So, I have just received a letter from the service department thanking me for the recent purchase of my new Suzuki Vitara and reminding me of their fixed cost service plans. I quote "..... it is peace of mind knowing your manufacturers warranty will be kept in place as you will have maintained your vehicle at a main Suzuki dealer ......".  

This appears to suggest that your warranty will only be kept in place if you have your vehicle serviced at a Suzuki main dealer. Perhaps Suzuki should be reminded that, at least until after Brexit, under EU Block Exemption law customers can get their cars serviced outside dealer networks without invalidating their warranty. But manufacturer service schedules must be followed and original equipment parts used.

I will almost certainly not be using a Suzuki dealer for my next service; my first service cost me £200 (I was told that was a reduced charge), and they couldn't even fix my defective screenwasher jet!
Petrust
Petrust

Back to top Go down

Post by Rattly on Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:38 am

Playing with words it would seem. No servicing=no warranty missing out the any VAT registered service outlet using OEM parts! £200 seems expensive when members here have had three year servicing packages at around that sum!
Rattly
Rattly

Back to top Go down

Post by lvadmaker on Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:11 am

To also add a bit of detail, the dealer we bought from "Jem" in north London is also only one of three dealers in the UK that can offer a lifetime warranty beyond the 3 year standard (to the original owner) but that is on the proviso that they do the servicing (which I think is fair enough so they can control the quality of the service), we do have a habit of keeping our cars for 10 years or more ! (still have my MY00 impreza though definitely a hard ride after the Vitara) , this is ok while were in the southeast of course.

lvadmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:09 pm

Bear in mind the "free" AA cover is only roadside assistance. It wont get you home unless you are up to ten miles away I think. I did activate mine after the first service but I also have Aviva roadside and recover for my whole family for £95 which I wont be cancelling. My thinking is if i'm 100 miles away I would want the car bought back to my local dealer not a dealer that far away.

RichK

Back to top Go down

Post by terryk on Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:29 pm

I had my 2 month free service check completed this Monday morning. Having waited the 10 minutes or so and being told all is okay, I tried to talk Service Plans with the chap behind the service desk. I explained I'd had a letter quoting £700 for the next three services and that I went through the motions of booking it online and it came out at £652. His reply was that I needed to fill in a form which is generated by the Service Manager who wasn't in yet and that he would negotiate a price with me. With the promise of a phone call later that day, I'm still waiting and it's Wednesday now! Maybe they don't want my money after all.
terryk
terryk

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:02 pm

Had an interesting chat with the service department of my local dealer today when I enquired about booking the Vitara in for it`s first service and also the price, they asked if the oil change light had come on , I said no as it has only recorded 8500 miles, he then said there was no need to change the oil and the service would be around £170, I said the oil and filter would definitely be changed which then pushed the cost up to around £225 ( I understand the oil is £60 and the filter is £20 all plus vat), the time quoted is 1.3 hours, now I don`t know about you but for a service which is little more than an oil and filter change, £170 WITHOUT an oil change seems to be a bit steep, we seem to be getting into solicitor fees territory at near £2 per minute !!
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:02 am

Get down to South Wales! £132 first service!
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:46 am

Gargreen wrote:Get down to South Wales! £132 first service!

I would if only they would get that ferry service running from Ilfracombe to South Wales they have been talking about since I was a boy !!
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Rattly on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:24 am

Wish my dealer in Newport was £132!
Rattly
Rattly

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:21 am

Cargreen, where do you go for a service please ? I use J & J Cross Hands, they are very expensive.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:02 pm

that's a Petrol service price so keep that in mind. The diesel takes more oil and the general parts are more expensive
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Rattly on Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:09 pm

Mine is petrol!
Rattly
Rattly

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK on Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:19 pm

HILLCLIMBER wrote:Had an interesting chat with the service department of my local dealer today when I enquired about booking the Vitara in for it`s first service and also the price, they asked if the oil change light had come on , I said no as it has only recorded 8500 miles, he then said there was no need to change the oil and the service would be around £170, I said the oil and filter would definitely be changed which then pushed the cost up to around £225 ( I understand the oil is £60 and the filter is £20 all plus vat), the time quoted is 1.3 hours, now I don`t know about you but for a service which is little more than an oil and filter change, £170 WITHOUT an oil change seems to be a bit steep, we seem to be getting into solicitor fees territory at near £2 per minute !!

Apart from a few checks oil, filter and sump plug washer is all the first service is, unless you count windscreen washer stuff Rolling Eyes . Mine only had 6400 on clock but oil and filter etc was changed. What happens if you do 12000 miles in the next year, that's 20,000+ miles without an oil change. Think they have misadvised you there.

RichK

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:53 pm

RichK wrote:
HILLCLIMBER wrote:Had an interesting chat with the service department of my local dealer today when I enquired about booking the Vitara in for it`s first service and also the price, they asked if the oil change light had come on , I said no as it has only recorded 8500 miles, he then said there was no need to change the oil and the service would be around £170, I said the oil and filter would definitely be changed which then pushed the cost up to around £225 ( I understand the oil is £60 and the filter is £20 all plus vat), the time quoted is 1.3 hours, now I don`t know about you but for a service which is little more than an oil and filter change, £170 WITHOUT an oil change seems to be a bit steep, we seem to be getting into solicitor fees territory at near £2 per minute !!

Apart from a few checks oil, filter and sump plug washer is all the first service is, unless you count windscreen washer stuff  Rolling Eyes . Mine only had 6400 on clock but oil  and filter etc was changed. What happens if you do 12000 miles in the next year, that's 20,000+ miles without an oil change. Think they have misadvised you there.

Exactly my thoughts which is why I insisted on an oil and filter change regardless of mileage, complete false economy, a few months down the line the oil change light comes on so you have to change it and then the service schedule is completely out of phase, absolutely crazy, I still think £170 is a shed load of money for a checkover and no oil change.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by theforestdweller on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:17 pm

My first service cost £69.00 mainly due there being no requirement for an oil change - main dealers assurance. Just had second service today at a very reasonable cost of £199.00. Was slightly surprised that brake fluid change is part of the service at two yearly intervals. I'm obviously not keeping up with modern practice Embarassed

Last edited by theforestdweller on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
theforestdweller
theforestdweller

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:58 pm

I feel also that it is a good idea to have the oil change annually; the costs and inconvenience of having to arrange an intermediate oil change are a bit off putting.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:33 pm

Just had my Vitara first service done, they tell me it needs to come back for two software upgrades one of around 45 minutes and the other one around four hours, when I checked on the Suzuki website there are no outstanding recalls or upgrades required ! (I did ask for the radio firmware to be updated but that has not been done so I assume that would be the 45 minute one )  any insider info Gargreen ?
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:23 pm

Some times there are BCM and ECU updates that only the Suzuki Sdt-II can update. Not so much for a recall more just taking care of the vehicle. Imagine it's like your laptop, some updates aren't essential but you'd rather have the most up to date version.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:24 pm

What happens when these car reach three years old and need software updates ? assume it's going to costly chargeable work ?

RichK

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:27 pm

Called in to my local dealer today to book Vitara in for software upgrade next week and the service manager mentioned a head unit upgrade specifically the satnav!!  perhaps there is light at the end of the tunnel, we will wait and see, re software upgrades after year three if mine is running as well as it is now I will be happy to leave things alone as apart from the dreaded satnav the vehicle runs superbly , the anti collision warning kicks in a bit early at times when there is nothing obvious in front but I can live with that.

What I can`t live with is the £324 quote for the second service on the Swift at 12,000 miles , reduced to £224 if the tappets are not adjusted!, sorry this is off subject.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2