Service steering lock system message

Go down

Service steering lock system message Empty Service steering lock system message

Post by triniyoda on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:23 am

Hi all.

Bought my Vitara May 2016.  It's a GLX Allgrip.  A few months ago I got a "Service Steering Lock System" message after parking and switching off the engine. When that happens the only way to recover is to:

• Turn ignition on (without pressing the brake pedal)
  • Turn it back off
  • Press and release door switch to force the steering lock to reengage

During this process I can hear the lock engage, disengage and reengage so I'm not sure why I'm getting the message in the first place.

If I try to start the vehicle with the message being displayed, I get the message to slowly turn steering wheel.... etc.  That doesn't work and the engine will not start.  Only the sequence I described above clears the problem.

Also note that the steering is never under pressure - wheels pointed straight ahead on level ground.

Told the dealer about it but I don't think the understood the sequence of events.

This occurs very randomly so it is difficult to figure out.

Anyone has any ideas?  Faulty mechanism, sensor.....

If only I had a service manual.  Smile

triniyoda

Back to top Go down

Service steering lock system message Empty Re: Service steering lock system message

Post by Rattly on Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:41 am

It usually occurs when parked with steeering of centre the self centring appear to trap the lock bolt. I have found wagling the steering wheel releases it
Rattly
Rattly

Back to top Go down

Service steering lock system message Empty Re: Service steering lock system message

Post by triniyoda on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:39 pm

Rattly wrote:It usually occurs when parked with steeering of centre the self centring appear to trap the lock bolt. I have found wagling the steering wheel releases it

Thanks for your reply.  However, I don't think you read my post carefully.  I specifically said that when the problem occurs, the wheels are pointed straight ahead on level ground.  I also stated that I can hear the mechanism engage and disengage when it is supposed to, hence the reason why the message is so strange.

triniyoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Rattly on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:53 pm

The point I was trying to make, poorly, from your response, is the steering wheel can look as if it's straight ahead. But, that doesn't mean the wheels are perfectly straight. The fact that you can hear the solenoid operating doesn't always mean the lock bolt is engaging or disengaging correctly, if the steering column isn't perfectly straight it can catch the lock bolt!
Rattly
Rattly

Back to top Go down

Post by triniyoda on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:24 pm

The problem got worse - at one point it was happening everyday. Took it to the dealer and it occurred when I parked by them so they got to see it first hand. They are going to replace it.... Not sure when....

triniyoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down