Breakdown Cover

Go down

Breakdown Cover Empty Breakdown Cover

Post by Grumpy Souter on Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:53 pm

Our Vitara S will soon be a year old and the Suzuki breakdown cover will be coming to an end.
This is the first car of six we have owned in the the last fourteen years which did not have three years of breakdown cover.
We will have to purchase our own cover and wonder which company of the big three is the best and the best value. AA, RAC or GF.
We will want UK only, Roadside Assistance, National Recovery, Home Start and Onward Travel. I have looked on the internet and found
that GF plus seems to be the best deal but as I have never used any of the companies before can anyone recommend from experience
which one you think is best.
GS
Grumpy Souter
Grumpy Souter

Back to top Go down

Breakdown Cover Empty Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by Gar Green on Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:06 pm

If you are to service in a franchised dealer, you will get and additional 1 year lite AA cover as part of the service. This cover gives you...

1. Roadside cover
2. Home start cover
3. Local tow (10 miles)

However, you can upgrade this cover to suit your needs, but that wil be to do with the AA, not the dealer. I believe the extra national recovery is £49 a year and there is also an European option too.

Last edited by Gargreen on Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by lvadmaker on Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:19 pm

lvadmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Alrewas on Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:09 pm

My Vitara was 12 months old at the end of December, I received a letter from Suzuki offering cover to the same level as the first year for £82 for 1 year or £133 for 2 years.
The cover is the full AA including, Homestart, Roadside, Relay, Relay Plus & European Breakdown. This seems a decent deal as it includes the European cover. It can be arranged by calling Suzuki Assistance on 0800 197 7618 (monday-friday 8am-8pm)

Alrewas

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:56 pm

Alrewas wrote:My Vitara was 12 months old at the end of December, I received a letter from Suzuki offering cover to the same level as the first year for £82 for 1 year or £133 for 2 years.
The cover is the full AA including, Homestart, Roadside, Relay, Relay Plus & European Breakdown. This seems a decent deal as it includes the European cover.  It can be arranged by calling Suzuki Assistance on 0800 197 7618 (monday-friday 8am-8pm)

Its free if you service at a dealer! The AA send letters about 30 days before the registration anniversary date to try and make a few quid before customers realise they can have it for free. Sales don't seem to make this clear when they hand the car over.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Fin69 on Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Have you tried your insurance company? When the standard 3 year pan European breakdown cover ended on my Skoda Octavia Scout, I added the equivalent cover onto my insurance. On the only occasion I have used it so far (touch wood!) it was Green Flag that attended.

I do not know how much it has added to my premium, but I have never paid more than £270.00 for fully comprehensive since adding the breakdown, so it cannot be that much. I tried to arrange the same cover via the AA as they were doing a 'special offer' for Serving and Ex Forces, but that was just under £200! I do not know what the AA did with their offer, but wherever they put it, I believe the sun does not shine there..

Fin69

Back to top Go down

Post by Alrewas on Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:32 pm

Gargreen is correct Suzuki Lite is free but it is limited. To get the full cover the costs are £49.99 for the U.K. or £69.99 for European cover. If you intend to keep the car for an additional 2 years and intend using it in Europe the £133 Suzuki offer seems the most cost effective. The free cover offered by insurance companies beats everything but not many offer European cover free.

Alrewas

Back to top Go down

Post by theforestdweller on Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:27 pm

I know the OP was asking about the "Big Three" breakdown services, but I have opted for one of the other players - let's face it, of those that don't have their own recovery vehicles most use the same nationwide network of independents. I picked this one:

https://www.startrescue.co.uk/breakdown-cover starts at £16.45 for a year and £28.79 gives all the cover that was requested.
theforestdweller
theforestdweller

Back to top Go down

Post by Bowgar on Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:04 pm

Thanks Gargreen - Good to know you get a lite AA cover as part of you service with Suzuki, which is what Honda used to give.

Another for the list however, my son uses QDOS :-

http://www.qdosbreakdown.co.uk/
Bowgar
Bowgar

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:15 am

The danger with manufacturers cover is unfortunately , no onward travel and no recovery to home. If they are unable to repair at the side of the road, cars are recovered to the nearest franchised dealer. Our company have had a couple of drivers caught out with this limited cover, one being dumped outside a Vauxhall garage late on a Sunday night. There are plenty of cheap options out there, which will do just as well as the AA etc for a fraction of the cost. I now use startrescue myself with personal cover , this covers me for anything . At least I will get home.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil on Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:09 pm

I've been with the AA since they used to salute you if they saw an AA badge on the front of your car (or not if there was a policeman around the corner allegedly :-)
Have always had personal cover for me and my missus with most of the extras as we have a number of cars.
Must have called them a dozen times or so over the years and the service has been fine. But every year come renewal time they apply a massive rise in the cost, I phone them with what is now the obligatory call to their retentions team who have always reduced the cost back to the same as the previous year + or - a few quid. A complete waste of time and has been the only pita in dealing with them.
Be very wary of their relay system as it does what it says. On another forum a member was phoned by the Police because her c£40k car which was being recovered to Norwich from London was left in a Lidl car park with the keys on the top of one of the wheels. Cops watched it for 2 hours because the rear number plate was taped over and it was parked in a remote corner. When the next recovery driver turned up he was questioned, had to prove he was allowed to collect the car by phoning the receiving garage and by the cops confirming with the owner. Still appalling behaviour and she is still awaiting an apology/vast sums of money/free membership for life or indeed any sort of explanation other than the AA quoting the Relay sales blurb.

Phil

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK on Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:52 pm

Hard to believe Suzuki give us three years warranty but only one year breakdown cover. As it happens I have family breakdown and recovery at a very good price elsewehere. Just wonder where you would stand if you had no cover and you broke down due to a warranty fault in years two and three.

RichK

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrust on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:05 pm

Slightly off topic, but worth checking your bank account! We have a joint Nationwide Flex Plus account which in addition to other benefits includes UK & European breakdown & recovery assistance at no extra cost. My other half used this service last year and received very prompt and efficient attention from Green Flag. In view of this, I won't be pursuing the Suzuki/AA cover after the first year.
Petrust
Petrust

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:22 am

I am not sure where we are with this discussion. I bought my Sept 29 2015 registered Vitara as a demonstrator in January 2016 and contacted Suzuki in September 2016 to request renewal of my warranty. We went through the process on the phone and then the guy came up with the news that I was fully covered until September 2017 !! He also confirmed that European cover was also included. So this 12 month business is a little confusing to me !! Perhaps it is provided by my dealer in recognition of using the Suzuki service facility. Any one wish to comment please ?

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiara5 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:37 am

At last service nothing was mentioned, but had the mailshot from the AA at £82 etc.
Other cars renew if you service at the dealer, but some limited as mentioned above.
Two of the big outfits have let us down over the years, so wont entertain them.
Many are an insurance based product and some have reduced Euro cover so best check that out.
We use Brittania Rescue, European cover, with hotels or replacement cars and all for £104 for personal cover self and wife in any car, whether actually driving it or not (Nominated car for Europe).Kept it running during the first year anyway.
Called them a couple of times with previous cars and had excellent service even though they use agents.
As previous GPO (?!) employee I am a member of the CSMA with discounts, but there are other versions through other public service type employment etc. which may be worth a look.

Tiara5

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Souter on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:30 pm

Many thanks to all who replied, it's even more complicated than I thought.
Will have to do more research.
Thanks again.
GS
Grumpy Souter
Grumpy Souter

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK on Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:35 pm

I'm with Aviva £99 a year, joint person cover for me and wife home start, breakdown and nationwide recovery in any car as driver or passenger. Also covers up to two nominated cars for any driver so put my son and daughters cars on.

RichK

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down