ESP on or off in snow

Go down

ESP on or off in snow Empty ESP on or off in snow

Post by Ziga Vitara on Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:28 pm

Greetings from a Vitara driver from Slovenia!

I have one question - when driving in snow (semi-deep snow like an unploughed road), is it desirable to turn ESP off or not?

When reading about this subject on the Internet, I got confused. Some people claim that it's desirable to turn ESP off in deep snow or if it is snowing while some claim that if you have a 4WD car, you don't need to turn ESP off.

I was driving my Vitara once over steep mountains, all roads were more or less unploughed plus it was snowing heavily and I didn't turn my ESP off, all I did was to switch to SNOW mode. I got the top without any problems. Would it be any "better" if ESP was turned off?

So in general, what are your opinions about turning ESP off in Vitara if driving on snowy/icy roads or if it is snowing? Thanks in advance.
Ziga Vitara
Ziga Vitara

Back to top Go down

ESP on or off in snow Empty Re: ESP on or off in snow

Post by Admin on Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:26 pm

The ESP is a grey area and each will have there own opinion/experience

My experience is ESP "on" driving on snow covered roads but in very deep snow and driving slowly where you are likely to get stuck the ESP can sometimes cause you to lose momentum then traction
This is backed up with my Grand Vitara where you can only turn off the ESP in Low Range
The new Vitara having no low range I guess Suzuki have now given you the option to switch it off at any speed?

Hopefully with Snow forecast for the 9th onwards I could tell you some more next week?

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Ziga Vitara on Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:22 pm

You were right, I tested it in semi-deep snow three weeks ago, not on a road but on a hill, covered in old, rough & frozen snow. With ESP ON I had to switch to the 1st gear to get on top while with ESP OFF I made it to the top in 2nd gear with ease.
Ziga Vitara
Ziga Vitara

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:13 pm

Glad to hear the ESP info was of some help Ziga, unfortunately our snow was very little so was not able to try Sad

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by zukiara on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:20 pm

Yep, ESP off for me too
zukiara
zukiara

Back to top Go down