WINTER MORNINGS

Go down

WINTER MORNINGS Empty WINTER MORNINGS

Post by JOHNWALES on Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:41 pm

My windscreen was deeply iced this morning, and the wiper blades firmly bonded to the glass. WARNING; Make sure when parking up for the night that both forward and rear wipers are turned to the off position before closing down the engine. Failure to do so will cause the wipers to activate as soon as the ignition is turned on; resulting in the rubbers being left on the glass, and the windscreen gouged by the wiper arms. Before any one asks, I am not speaking from experience !!

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

WINTER MORNINGS Empty Re: WINTER MORNINGS

Post by Gar Green on Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:26 pm

This happened to me this week, the ice set off the auto wipers which made me cringe until they rested after that one sweep.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:08 am

On my Suzuki Carry (Japanese spec) I have this magic switch.....

WINTER MORNINGS Suzuki15

WINTER MORNINGS Suzuki16

My temperature gun was -7 on the screen with ice and 13 on the heated element...

WINTER MORNINGS Suzuki17

WINTER MORNINGS Suzuki18

The unfortunate news is that this option I have only seen on Japanese built/spec models such as Jimny/Grand Vitara/Swift/Ignis etc
Our Model Vitara (Escudo in Japan) being built in Hungary does not offer this even in Japan  Sad

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:01 pm

I presume you are referring to a heated windscreen, which in the U.K. I think is only found on Landrover, and up market Ford. My experience is that it could be a life saver. Some years ago I was driving my Freelander on a French auto route in heavy snow when a series of brake lights appeared ahead of me. With several vehicles already parked on the hard shoulder I correctly assumed it was because of freezing rain, and quickly fired up my heated screen. For several miles it was only me and a handful of other cars remaining on the main carriageway.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:39 am

JOHNWALES wrote:I presume you are referring to a heated windscreen,  which in the U.K. I think is only found on Landrover,  and up market Ford.    My experience is that it could be a life saver.   Some years ago I was driving my Freelander on a French auto route in heavy snow when a series of brake lights appeared ahead of me.   With several vehicles already parked on the hard shoulder I correctly assumed it was because of freezing rain,  and quickly fired up my heated screen.    For several miles it was only me and a handful of other cars remaining on the main carriageway.

I believe that Ford held the heated screen (QuickClear) patent for a long while, which I also believe it has been lifted now. Land Rover and Ford had a bit of business going on around that time as well as with Volvo, so you'll find a few on there also.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:33 am

As Gar said Ford had the patent for the heated screen for many years but being n bed with Land Rover/Volvo they have spread the good will
Subaru also had a sort of heated screen which is similar to the one on my Carry, rather than elements all across the screen there is a smaller element that heats the lower windscreen wiper area and above (Subaru and Suzuki have ties with the Swift/Justy AWD and Ignis/GX3 4x4)

This company make many heated screens but only for the Swift at the moment Sad

http://www.heatedwindscreen.com/acatalog/suzuki-heated-windscreens.html

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down