Main beam upgrade

Go down

Main beam upgrade Empty Main beam upgrade

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:27 pm

Having found the LED bulbs to be useless on main beam I have fitted Ring Xenon Ultima 120% brighter bulbs and they are superb, much better than the original halogens although nothing like as white as a LED or HID bulb but a very worthwhile upgrade.

I was going to try the HB3 LED bulbs I found with the forward facing light source but noticed they did not have any heat sink or cooling fan on them so decided not to risk them.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Main beam upgrade Empty Re: Main beam upgrade

Post by Gar Green on Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:14 am

Have you got any photos of the upgraded? I'm interested to see the difference.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by gvwow on Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:56 am

i would to see that as well Shocked
gvwow
gvwow

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:21 pm

Will do as soon as I get a chance, re the HB3 bulbs with a light source at the front as well as the sides, they are cheap enough to give them a go but I am worried by lack of heat sink or fan, assuming they need one, the ones I tried and found no good had a form of cooling on the rear of the bulb so I assumed the other ones would, perhaps someone on here may have better knowledge than me and may reply.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony's here on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:18 pm

Anyone else used & can recommend upgraded HB3 halogens, I don't want to risk the led route but would like something more in keeping with the excellent dip led's in colour & improved performance.

Tony's here

Back to top Go down

Main beam upgrade Empty Lights

Post by Rattly on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:36 pm

Tony's here wrote:Anyone else used & can recommend upgraded HB3 halogens, I don't want to risk the led route but would like something more in keeping with the excellent dip led's in colour & improved performance.
I'd like to go this route also. Don't want to risk heat problems!
Rattly
Rattly

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:40 pm

Sorry all but I clean forgot to upload the photo`s, will have a go in a few minutes if I can remember how to do it! any tips might save a lot of head scratching.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:57 pm

Main beam upgrade <a href=Main beam upgrade 36241547703_bbf789df3b_bSZ5 LED Dip plus standard main beam by HILLCLIMBER2013, on Flickr" />Main beam upgrade <a href=Main beam upgrade 36214341134_2a780d2842_bSZ5 LED Dip plus LED main by HILLCLIMBER2013, on Flickr" />Main beam upgrade <a href=Main beam upgrade 36241537343_b7ccf01450_bSZ5 LED Dip beam by HILLCLIMBER2013, on Flickr" />

Picture 1 is standard LED dip beam.

Picture 2 is LED main beam.

Picture 3 is STANDARD  main beam, (not it looks yellow/orange because the hedge is beech after they had turned brown) but you can easily see the extra range with standard halogen, the LED mains just flood the area in front of the car, will add some with the upgraded bulbs asap.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:25 pm

Please note the photo`s are in the wrong order, No 1 at the bottom, No 3 at the top, these photo`s are to demonstrate the complete lack of range of the LED main beams, as you can see they are not even as good as the standard bulbs, the road is arrow straight for about three quarters of a mile before dropping away, after spending ages trying to get a decent photo I realised I could have used the dashcam!!!
This test was done before I got the uprated halogen bulbs just to show the difference between LED and halogen main beam, as I said in my original post, any uprated halogen seems to be much better than current (last winter) LED`s  unless of course they have improved in the meantime.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Rattly on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:39 pm

What halogen upgrade bulbs did you use?
Rattly
Rattly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony's here on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:47 pm

At the thread start it specifies Ring Xenon Ultima 120%.

Hillclimber are you still happy with these, what colour rendition to they give please.

Tony's here

Back to top Go down

Post by Rattly on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:50 pm

Wasn't sure if they were the start or end bulb!
Rattly
Rattly

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:36 pm

Rattly wrote:Wasn't sure if they were the start or end bulb!

As I said in my last post the photo`s came out in reverse order, the first photo you see (top one)  is standard halogen, next down is LED and bottom LED dip.

Tony`s here,  The Ring lights are definitely brighter but of course after the LED dip beam they will always be less intense but to my way of thinking that`s not  a bad thing, when I was competing on road rallies years ago there was nothing worse after spending a long time behind a battery of four auxiliary lamps plus the headlamps than to dip and suddenly be plunged into semi darkness, to be honest the Vitara lights are so good on dip that I don`t need much more reach on main beam, in the past I have used Osram and Philips bulbs but have had a few blow.
When I started competing in the 60`s we had the first upgrade from sealed beam headlamps to QIV (Quartz Iodine Vapour) the difference was as good as today`s LED after that it was Quartz Halogen of course .

I think the problem with Vitara LED main beam must be collecting and directing the light as there is tremendous upward scatter, you could see every bird roosting in the trees! so until a different reflector/lens combo is made I reckon the LED mains will be a no go, but who knows?

There was a very good group test of uprated bulbs a couple of years ago but the site name escapes me, hope this helps.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony's here on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:48 pm

As you say the dip is so good the standard main beam adds little this is emphasised by the marked difference in colour between the two. More down to aesthetics, maybe a halogen upgrade with a more blue hue is the way to go.

Tony's here

Back to top Go down

Post by nib4722 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:52 am

I have fitted 100W mains , same spread pattern as standard bulbs but a white light rather than a dull yellow , listed for off road use but I think highly unlikey an MOT tester or police officer is going to notice unless they take them out to check. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HB3-H11-501-100w-Super-White-Xenon-HID-High-Low-Side-Light-Beam-Bulbs-Kit-/390971271846?hash=item5b07b42aa6

nib4722

Back to top Go down

Post by nib4722 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:41 am

Forgot to say , ebay listing is for 2 uprated main beam bulbs , 2 uprated fog light bulbs and 2 sidelight bulbs ( I found sidelight bulbs were no better than standards so used LED bulbs )

nib4722

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Souter on Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:09 pm

Before buying LED bulbs you should watch this video.
This guy knows what he is talking about.
GS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sonh4lHu4XE

It's 30 mins long but watch to the end, a lot of usefull information.

Last edited by Grumpy Souter on Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:53 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : more info)
Grumpy Souter
Grumpy Souter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down