Recommended Oil grades

Go down

Recommended Oil grades Empty Recommended Oil grades

Post by graham04 on Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:54 am

After looking at a couple of our topics regarding servicing I noted that the recommended grade is 0w20. This is  quite new in the day to day  car market and is a bit worrying when its normal use has been for racing and generally changed after every meeting. There are theories that the oil pump, once slightly worn in higher mileage cars, will be unable to circulate sufficient super thin oil. My preference then would be the 5w30 which is second on the Suzuki list. However after some research on the internet I may be persuaded to change my mind. Have a look at the link to Honda's chief chemist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAYkigNbzgs

Last edited by graham04 on Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : link not working)

graham04

Back to top Go down

Recommended Oil grades Empty Re: Recommended Oil grades

Post by JOHNWALES on Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:40 pm

Good evening Graham; do you know what oil is used by the Cross Hands outfit ? And what do you think of the suggestion made in this forum that oil should only be changed when indicated on the display ? I have always been brought up on the theory the more you change the oil and filter, the longer the engine will last; but there are people in here disputing this. - John

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:02 pm

Hi John   I will probably stick to 12 month or 12500 mile services . I particularly  don't trust the in dash display. I tried long life synthetic and standard synthetic in my Astra and both types showed 50% life left in the oil after about 4000 miles. This is on a car only required  30,000 mile services. As for what oil Cross Hand use, who can guess it will be bulk oil regardless, although I am sure they will tell you if asked. Top quality 0w 20 seems to be around £100 a gallon which they will of course charge for. ( Maybe this is one of the reasons for the excessive service charges). I will ask them for a quote when the time comes, but will probably take it to a local Peugeot garage who I know, and supply my own oil and genuine Suzuki filter. I am still undecided about the oil but whatever happens it will be one of the recommended grades.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:14 pm

Just an add on the my previous comment, I have looked at the Suzuki shop and they are selling 5litres of 0w20 oil for £22.00

The Suzuki Shop

I have to assume this is ok for the Suzuki Warranty.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:40 pm

Suzuki Shop AKA Levois Suzuki wrote:About Us

Levoi's Ltd are a family-owned and managed main dealer business focusing solely on Suzuki vehicles. We are the longest-established dealership within the Essex and Suffolk area. As a company, we pride ourselves on a professional yet friendly and informal approach.
We offer only Genuine Suzuki Products

Bit of a contradiction with the Petronas Oil  confused

http://www.suzuki.co.uk/cars/owners/services/maintenance/castrol

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:18 pm

Does everyone speak with forked tongue? Suzuki say only available at their dealers, yet you can buy it on ebay. No doubt they have a deal with Castrol as other car makers have with different oil producers. At the end of the day there is no way a cars warranty would be made invalid because a different oil manufactuer was used. As long as the oil meets the required specification, the lawyers would have a field day.
I have finally noticed that the diesels use a different grade . I have only been talking about the 1.6 petrol. Although the same issue applies .

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:57 pm

I think the oil discussion is on the same wavelength as the petrol / diesel one. Some time ago I read a thread that a guy found difficulty in locating the recommended brand and grade of oil, which resulted in him running around with the red light flashing on bends.

Some years ago my late wife had a Citroen C2 ( a brilliant car incidentally ) and the morning after collecting it from the dealer 100 miles distant, I noticed a huge patch of oil on the drive.
On opening the bonnet I discovered that the service department had not replaced the oil cap on the PDI, and that there was more oil on the engine than in it !!!! I filled the sump with local oil and sealed the filler and took it back to Shrewsbuy. We never had any mechanical problems with that car; the motto being 'any oil is better than no oil !!!! '

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down