Vitara S 9,000ml./ First Service

Go down

Vitara S 9,000ml./ First Service Empty Vitara S 9,000ml./ First Service

Post by Grumpy Souter on Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:40 pm

Vitara S 9,000ml./ First Service

Has anyone had their S serviced ?  Mine is going in shortly and I would like to know
what is on the service document for the technician to do ?
I may want to add or omit some items as I object to paying for things I normally do
myself, like washing, vacuuming, topping up screen washer, checking tyre pressures
and oiling hinges etc.
GS

After all I am a Scotsman and hate to be parted from my money. :( :( :(
Grumpy Souter
Grumpy Souter

Back to top Go down

Vitara S 9,000ml./ First Service Empty Re: Vitara S 9,000ml./ First Service

Post by Gar Green on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:40 pm

Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:20 pm

I hate dealers mucking around with the tyres, as I am sure few caliberate the pressures with the TPMS; and this is a mammoth task to get right. And as Grumps says, we all top up our shield liquid.

I remember some years ago having a 3 cylinder Subaru Justy, and I was billed for 4 sparking plugs. I mentioned it to the boss, who said that plugs were supplied in pack of four. I spent hours trying to find where they had put the surplus plug, without success of course !!!

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:19 am

Ensure they don't valet your car, you may have read my tale of woe and now having a complimentary scratched dashboard , a 100% great relationship with sales, service and parts has now been disrupted by a technician or valeter who has not even got the decency to man up to causing the damage 8-(

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:18 am

It will be interesting to see how much they reduce the service by. I am trying to imagine the poor service manager crying over his bowl of gruel.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK on Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:51 pm

I'm in two mind for my servicing, usually deal with a great local garage who a mate is co-owner of. The first service is basically just an oil/filter service, have costed parts at £50 max but even though they will do the service with the right parts etc but will the service not having a "Suzuki dealer" stamp drop the re-sale price ?

RichK

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:58 pm

Very likely. Any excuse to give you less !!!

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Ulpian on Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:44 am

The problem is that modern cars need servicing only once every two years, or annually in the petrol Vitara's case. And servicing is where dealers and garages in general make their money. They don't make much from sales. So they charge!

I use the main dealer because if there is any comeback I at least have some protection, and the book is stamped by the dealer. If I was buying second hand this would be top of my list of priorities.

I read that it's best to not change the oil in new cars for a year, as the pistons need to bed in and too much fresh oil stops the bores doing this properly. However, when I asked that they change the oil after a year in the Diesel S Cross they refused, saying it only needed doing at two years. I had free servicing so I didn't argue, but I'm pleased the Vitara needs fresh oil at 9000miles, because it has a hot little turbo and even modern oils degrade. If you want an engine to last a long time the best thing you can do is replace the oil and filter regularly.

Interestingly most Americans still change their oil at 6000 miles, or even 3000, regardless of the age of the car. They are in the habit and they just hate the idea of keeping oil in the sump for two years. Me too.

Ulpian

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:31 pm

The diesel Vitara has an oil change at 12,500 miles or twelve months Ulpian.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by theforestdweller on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:41 pm

I beg to differ. My diesel Vitara has just had its service at 12 months and 6K miles at the supplying main dealer. The official "Suzuki Service Check Sheet" states "Replace engine oil when the request light blinks or every 24 months". So no oil change for me. I was surprised and am thinking I will do an oil and filter change anyway.
theforestdweller
theforestdweller

Back to top Go down

Post by Ulpian on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:05 pm

Yes, thanks, I thought I was right. I thought it was 18K or two years, I can't remember the miles for certain but it was certainly two years. I know that at twelve months and 12k they wouldn't do it and said it wasn't due for another year. And then a little later the oil change warning came on and I had to take it in anyway. But Suzuki keeps moving the goal posts. I read on a car leasing site today that for the new S Cross Suzuki is asking for an oil change every 12000 miles. That's for both diesel and Boosterjet. I thought that my Vitara Boosterjet needs an oil change at 9K and this was confirmed by the dealer when I bought it in March.
Oh well, I certainly prefer regular oil changes and don't look like doing 9k before the year is up. But they had better change the oil at twelve months, no matter what the mileage.

Ulpian

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:10 pm

MY hand book clearly states 12500 or 12 months. Perhaps the newer models have a change of policy.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Ulpian on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:56 pm

You can never be certain. When I was researching the S I read Honest John and he, and others, mentioned that one of the very few possible disadvantages of the Vitara S was that it needed an oil change every 9K miles. My dealer said no, it was twelve. He's a really good and genuinely interested salesman and he got in touch with his head office and asked for clarification, and in a day or so he heard that yes, it was a 9K oil change interval after all. But now some sites, like the leasing one I mentioned, are saying 12k. ( I can't post the link because I'm new). And the same for the Diesels.

Everyone is right because the schedules keep changing. I will say one thing, be very wary of all car magazines and web-based car sites. Listen and read, but don't accept what they say.

It's not connected but a couple of magazine and video testers have complained that a fault of the Suzuki is that there is no proper button to adjust volume. Correct, like the horrible Cactus and a couple of others, you are expected to poke at the touch screen and acess the volume that way. Dangerous and stupid. Except that nobody in a Suzuki does, because there is an excellent volume switch on the steering wheel which is perfectly sited. The critics must not have noticed that! And yet they write with such authority.

Ulpian

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:57 pm

Suzuki are notorious in the biking world for low mileage services, eg 4000 miles compared to most other manufacturers at 6000 miles. My 1.9 150bhp diesel Astra had 30,000 mile service intervals using long life fully synthetic. Not that I could wait so long, as it just went against the grain. The question is why such huge differences.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:48 pm

I would never buy a car with a 9,000 mile service interval. Such a motor is effectively adding 25 pence per litre to your fuel; - not good news !!

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Ulpian on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:52 pm

If you want a car to run reliably for a very high mileage then regular oil changes are essential. Many cars now are bought by leasing companies and these factor service intervals into their service plans, of course. The longer the interval the less it costs to run the car. And modern oils and machining tolerances are vastly better than they were. And of course manufacturers want to lease their cars to the big national institutions and companies anyway. In three years they'll hit the second hand market and all the service boxes will have been ticked. But they might well have had only one oil change. Call me old fashioned - I am - but I prefer a car that's had more frequent oil changes. To my mind a small petrol turbo that develops quite decent power is going to last longer if it has frequent oil changes and so I'll be happy to change the oil in mine at 9K. I might need to keep it for ten years!

Suzuki sells cars In all markets. In many countries roads and oils are not what we are familiar with, and how! Yet cars need to be reliable. The best way to ensure this is frequent oil and filter changes. Years ago I worked for nine years in the Middle East. All the reliable cars were Japanese and I remember our Toyotas going in every 3k miles for oil and filter changes. Sometimes they changed the plugs and points. These cars never ever went wrong. I had a Land Rover in 1978 and it broke down three times in one year. I might easily have died in the desert because of that piece of junk. The Ministry then replaced it with a Land Cruiser, which never, ever, failed. In any way.

As far as I am concerned Suzuki sells good cars in world markets, and I have bought into this ethos.

It wasn't just the oil, but I know what makes a car engine last.

Ulpian

Back to top Go down

Post by output on Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:15 pm

wow, 12.000 miles... Here the manual states servicing each year or 10.000km (about 6.200 miles)

output

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down