PREMIUM FUELS

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

PREMIUM FUELS - Page 2 Empty Re: PREMIUM FUELS

Post by Gar Green on Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:13 pm

Call me a pessimist, but could this all be a placebo?

Presumably most "average" everyday cars would be mapped for 95 Ron, take an RS5 for example, high power would warrant the extra Ron so would most likely be mapped to that.

What I'm trying to say in a round about way is, would running a car on 99ron when it's mapped for 95 Benefit at all?
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiara5 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:13 pm

You may be right, not sure at all!
Cars are mapped etc for different running conditions around the world where fuels vary tremendously, but I agree that in Europe most would be for 95RON EU standard, however the ethanol content can vary - up to 5%, but up to 10% coming in and at the pumps in France, so cars should in theory be suitable for such fuel.
In our case the engine most definately ran smoother and we hadnt been on French fuel this trip, so wasnt that.
We had been considering going to the dealer with it, as it was noticeable, but put it off for a while to see what happens because, well, British Leyland 1970's springs to mind. If you are old enough you will understand. Unfortunately, unlike vw or Ford for eg, there doesnt seem to be any good indy's about for what is a low volume vehicle.

Tiara5

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:51 am

I have been experimenting with fuel over the last few weeks. My Vit is a 1.6 petrol auto and in normal stop start urban use is never lower than 39mpg with cheap Asda fuel. On a decent motorway run it gets to 48mpg. When towing motorcycles its 44mpg. Interestingly it doesn't matter if the bike is on or off the trailer so it is clearly the disruption of air flow at the rear of the car making the difference .With a couple of longer towing trips coming up. I filled up from empty with Shell Vpower. The round trip finished at 47.1 mpg so a gain of 3mpg. However after factoring the increase in cost it is not sufficient to make financial sense. After watching a few videos online I have now filled up with Tesco's Premium fuel. The Urban cycle is holding at 45mpg but more importantly it hold its gears far better on hills even with a low throttle . The Vit would change down 2 or even 3 gears on insignificant slopes.The Tesco's fuel does not have the cleaning properties of Vpower but is much cheaper and at the moment is cost effective. There is an interesting Fifth Gear test on premium fuels , although they were more interested in power than economy. All done on a rolling  road as well as the track. Vpower made a significant power gain over supermarket basic fuel, although they thought it didn't make much difference in normal road conditions it did improve track performance. Of course they didn't use a short stroke non turbo auto. So for me I am going to carry on with Tesco monument fuel and see how it performs long term.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by Rattly on Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:06 pm

My 1.6 doesn't like cheap fuels it misses, I had the same of Swift Sport some years ago, same engine. Used superand it's great 5 mpg better than cheap fuel and runs silky smooth!
Rattly
Rattly

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:22 pm

I am diesel of course and occasionally use the Premium grade; but as said above if you are looking for extra m.p.g. the figures just do not work out by a very big margin. I occasionally buy a bottle of that diesel additive which B&M sell for much less than fuel stations. I have not noticed any improvement in performance, but guess it must do something for the engine.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK on Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:08 pm

I tried V Power for a few tanks but never felt any different to what I normally put in which is Morrisons normal stuff. Mine is a 1.6 auto, I got average of 52 mpg on a 1200 mile trek around Scotland but as I live in a village a few miles from a town we do quite a lot of shorter trips which brings it down to about 43. Just done a 600 mile drive around Cornwall and that returned 49 mpg. Well pleased with that coming from a 2.0 auto GV which only averaged 23 mpg or 28 on a run !!

RichK

Back to top Go down

Post by Goudrons on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:27 am

I think it's already been written, but manufacturers makes their cars run on fuel of a certain standard.
They more often than not tune them for the lowest standard fuel available in the markets it's sold in.

That's not saying they'll run at their best on the lowest standard of fuel! (they are designed to run on)
Increasing the octane/cetane of fuels can improve running and mpg to a certain point.

Nearly all modern electronically controlled fuel injected cars can make some use of the better rated fuels.
Petrol engines will monitor engine "knock" levels and adjust injection and ignition timing to suit as higher octanes cause less knock.
Same goes for diesels, higher cetane levels decrease the pressures needed for the fuel auto ignite so it'll burn quicker and easier, the engine management will adjust to this as much as it can.

It all comes down to how much it can make use of the fuel via it's programming.
Some sporty european cars will be better equiped to make use of the higher rated fuels that are generally available in europe than perhaps a Tata built in India which will need to run on the mildly flammable washing up liquid they sell there as petrol, there's just no real need to program it to make use of better fuels, there isn't really any there!

It's common enough for some owners to actually alter this programming by remapping the electronic brain of the engine to account for better fuel, more air and so on.

There is more of a general scepticism regarding some fuels "cleaning" additives, but as petrol now contains larger amounts of ethanol, it's not as stable as it used to be.
It can leave behind a nasty residue in the fuel system and it can go stale within a few weeks.

I've run off road bikes for years and the fuel can sit in them for a week or two in between events.
This in the past has caused problems with stale jelly type fuel and a furry green gunk in the fuel system.
Since swapping to premium Shell fuels a few years ago, I don't suffer from the problem as much.

But saying that, I still run my cars on normal 95 octane supermarket fuel as it's not really sitting around for long.

Goudrons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2