WILL YOU BE FITTING WINTER TYRES?

Go down

WILL YOU BE CHANGING YOUR TYRES FOR WINTER?

WILL YOU BE FITTING WINTER TYRES? Vote_lcap33%WILL YOU BE FITTING WINTER TYRES? Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 15 ]
WILL YOU BE FITTING WINTER TYRES? Vote_lcap18%WILL YOU BE FITTING WINTER TYRES? Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 8 ]
WILL YOU BE FITTING WINTER TYRES? Vote_lcap49%WILL YOU BE FITTING WINTER TYRES? Vote_rcap 49% 
[ 22 ]

Total Votes : 45

WILL YOU BE FITTING WINTER TYRES? Empty WILL YOU BE FITTING WINTER TYRES?

Post by Admin on Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:13 pm

In relation to another topic and Winter around the corner I have added a poll and was wondering how many members will be fitting/changing over to Winter/M&S/Snowflake Symbol tyres?

If you could enter the poll and post what tyres you will fit, is your Vitara 2wd or 4wd and are you in the UK or is it compulsory in your country to fit All Seaso/Winter tyres?

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

WILL YOU BE FITTING WINTER TYRES? Empty Re: WILL YOU BE FITTING WINTER TYRES?

Post by JOHNWALES on Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:44 pm

For several years I have religiously fitted winter tyres , and would do so this year as well if I had any Alpine journeys planned. However, having down sized in properties I now have a storage problem, and also live just 200 yards from an A road, and less than a mile from a dual carriageway which links to the motorway system. Spring and Autumn tyre changes are currently costing me £120 per year and unless you use a Suzuki outlet there is always the chance of disturbing the tyre pressure monitor sensors. I have given my winter tyres to the friend who is currently storing them as he lives up a mountain and uses the same `17 inch rubbers; and I will get through this winter on the current Continentals. Having covered 18,500 miles on eight tyres, I estimate I will be looking at a tyre change this time next year; and my plan is to buy a set of the Michelin Cross Season flaked tyres. Although they currently cost £140 each they are a new brand, and could well be discounted in the future. Nevertheless doing this will save me the fuss and bother of constantly changing over tyres every winter and spring. I appreciate I will miss out on traction and safety, but will have to make allowances for this, and of course my four wheel drive will provide considerable compensation.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:49 pm

With reference to my previous post, I have voted for the all season in the above poll; because this is going to be my ultimate choice. It will be very interesting to see how the voting goes. For any one living in rural areas, or intending to drive abroad, and not just the Alps, I would definitely recommend either dedicated winter tyres, or M&S all season. NOt doing so would be madness !!

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:26 pm

+1 on what John posted above, also don't think M&S, All Terrain or Winter tyres are just for AllGrip models, a 2wd with decent rubber can sometimes be as good as a 4wd with average tyres

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:31 pm

here in the southeast we do not have the weather to change.so will be staying on the ones that come with the car.

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:47 pm

I'll be on the contis. Purely down to the cost I'm afraid to say.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:12 am

What Karl says above is very true, and has been proven in several manufacturers tests, where identical cars, with a combination of tyres and drive systems, have shown that a 2 wd with winter tyres will perform better than a 4 wd without them.

I do feel insurance companies should give discounts to drivers who fit winters, or use all season, this is a very important safety issue where consequences could be life threatening.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Souter on Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:03 pm

During the last few years the winters have been reasonably frost and snow free up here in Southern Scotland but I have a set of 16 inch alloy wheels fitted with Geolander A/T-S tyres all ready for fitting at the first sign of winter.
I have always fitted wheels and tyres after twice being caught in a blizzard when a hundred plus miles from home.
GS
Grumpy Souter
Grumpy Souter

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:32 pm

And did you manage to get home Grumps ? Do you have any problems with the tpms when you change wheels ?

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Souter on Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:52 pm

I have always been able to get home eventually even with two wheel drive and summer tyres but I like the confidence 4X4 and M&S tyres give knowing that if I do encounter bad weather I have a good chance of getting where I want to go.
Regarding the TPMS I have not yet fitted them to the car ,but I was assured by the dealer who fitted them that everything will be OK.
GS
Grumpy Souter
Grumpy Souter

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:08 pm

Thanks Grumps, good luck for the winter. The big problem with winter tyres and four wheel drive is the Jack knifed artic in front of you, and the whiz kid following with no tread whatsoever !!! I saw another option in Halfords today, a spray can that gives you 40 miles of extra tyre adhesion in snow conditions. I think it was £7.99; probably a bit of a gimmick, but could be just a very little better than nothing at all.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Ulpian on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:19 pm

A conundrum. As I just posted somewhere else here I would like Michelin all weathers as they have had good reviews, but I can't really afford them. I had proper winter tyres fitted to my old Doblo for three years and they were fantastic, particularly on very cold wet and slightly icy roads. There was too little snow to judge, but they would have been a real bonus, I know that. But I also managed in all weathers without them before that, even if it was touch and go sometimes. I can be a very careful driver! I do remember noticing that most people now don't have a clue how to drive sensibly on snow or ice (or roads in general), when I was young it was a seasonal norm and everyone managed, now they just look like frightened rabbits and behave like total idiots. This is a winter worry . I do know that a reputable tyre fitter can deal with the TPMS and will be careful with the rims, but it's best to put winter tyres on dedicated rims, to save both the tyres and the rims from having them changed annually.
Since the winters have been very mild here recently I'm going to keep the Contis and hope for the best. Given my luck it'll be blizzards and ice all the way from November now...

Ulpian

Back to top Go down

Post by nmtn on Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:56 pm

WILL YOU BE FITTING WINTER TYRES? 20161012

Let there be snow...

nmtn

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:21 pm

Nice Conti's, studs as well, tell us more bounce

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nmtn on Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:18 pm

...and there was snow. Winter is here!

WILL YOU BE FITTING WINTER TYRES? 20161115

WILL YOU BE FITTING WINTER TYRES? 20161114

Continetal IceContact 2, basic tyres for Finnish winter. 1500€ for rims, tyres and sensors.
Practically everyone here needs two sets of wheels. It would be legal to drive all year on studless winter tyres but Nordic winter tyres don't work on warm temperature and would wear out and be spoiled during the summer.

I'm not fan of the TPMS because I had to spend an extra 200€ for sensors to winter tyres and possibly more in the future for maintenance. The sensors for winter tyres are not mandatory but I could not stand the christmas lights blinking on the dash. We check the pressures at least twice a year anyway, when the season changes.

I wanted a four wheel drive and Vitara seemed sensible. Today was first day with somewhat slippery roads and it feels good, looking forward to bad weather.

nmtn

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:48 pm

nmtn wrote:...and there was snow

Well you have just ruined my evening lol!

Last year we only had very light snow so I did not really get to try the Yokohama's but I did get to drive a Vitara with studs in Iceland that was very impressive
Look forward to more pictures of your Vitara in Finland camera

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiara5 on Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:59 pm

Not the everyday answer, but as we cant justify winter tyres on cost or storage, (Derby, Notts area)we bought a set of snow socks (generic name) as a back up a couple of years ago.
We used them several times to get up a fairly steep short road to the nearby treated main road during a snowy week and our son then borrowed them to get home 20 miles over hilly terrain on Boxing Day evening.
You cant leave them on once on treated tarmac and have to remove them otherwise they will shred, but they are easy enough to fit. He had to fit and remove four times, but made it and picked up a couple of stranded souls on the way to his village!
Those socks still look like new and as they fit several sizes are now in the boot of our Golf. Got another pair for the Vitara, should be a doodle to fit with the arch clearance!
As I said, not the complete answer, and I believe not allowed in Alpine regions, however a good back up.
Tried that tyre spray, didnt work in our case!
Alan
ps All cars were front wheel drive only.

Tiara5

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Souter on Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:07 pm

WILL YOU BE FITTING WINTER TYRES? Cairng12
While on a trip to Inverness on Sunday 6th we decided to take a trip up Cairngorm Mountain.
Bottom of mountain   Dull no rain
Half way up             Heavy rain
Threequarters up      Heavy Snow, decided not to go any further as it was getting worse.

On Monday I thought it was time to fit my M&S wheels and tyres.
All ready for winter.
PS.  TPMS sensors worked OK first time.
GS
Grumpy Souter
Grumpy Souter

Back to top Go down

Post by jblion on Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:09 pm

For any of you folks who are interested, I have just fitted 4 Michelin Cross Climates on my SX4 (Allgrip). They have done about 300 miles in mixed weather. They have been impeccable in the wet and dry. No snow to test on yet. The one remarkable change is the super quietness compared to the original Contis. Hopefully more to report as the winter progresses.

jblion

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:01 am

jblion wrote: The one remarkable change is the super quietness compared to the original Contis....

Glad someone else has mentioned how noisy the Conti's are, I only had mine on a week before fitting the Yokohamas but my friends Vitara with Contis is so noisy!
My nieces Swift also had Continentals as standard and changing to Yokohama Blue earth has again reduced interior noise

I guess a hard compound for economy is going to give more noise but you would not expect All Terrain or M&S rated tyres to be quieter?

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:32 pm

Admin wrote:
jblion wrote: The one remarkable change is the super quietness compared to the original Contis....

Glad someone else has mentioned how noisy the Conti's are, I only had mine on a week before fitting the Yokohamas but my friends Vitara with Contis is so noisy!
My nieces Swift also had Continentals as standard and changing to Yokohama Blue earth has again reduced interior noise

I guess a hard compound for economy is going to give more noise but you would not expect All Terrain or M&S rated tyres to be quieter?

Karl

I find my Contis give off plenty of roar. When I run them down I'll be swapping brands 100%.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by tjhmortimer on Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:18 am

I fitted Vredestein Quatrac 5's to my wife's Vitara S as soon as we took delivery and sold the original contis on ebay. The Vredestein's have been great in all weather so far (including a trip across a ploughed field). They also have the mountain/ snowflake symbol and should be adequate in snow should we have any.

tjhmortimer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down