steering at speed

Go down

steering at speed Empty steering at speed

Post by hicky on Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:35 pm

I have this week done over 300 miles there and back on the m25 and m40. I read a report by a car reviewer about the steering on the new vitara saying he felt he had to keep adjusting the steering wheel at speed.i now have experienced this myself.i have a 16 sz-t petrol has anyone else found this.????

hicky

Back to top Go down

steering at speed Empty Re: steering at speed

Post by Chris on Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:44 pm

We have the same model. I run a company VW Golf Estate and notice a slight difference in the power steering between both cars. Have you checked the tyre pressures...I always run them at 37psi all round on the Vitara and do not keep having to adjust when steering. The power steering is speed sensitive and quite light compared to other cars ....what do you mean by "at speed" as we live in the Highlands we normally drive at 60mph and only get up to 70/80mph on trips to the central belt where they all batter on at about 80+ on those big wide motorways that we all pay for but do not have in our local!! Rolling Eyes

Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:13 am

S owner here, steering seems alright to me,

Running tyres on comfort
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:32 am

No steering worries on comfort or Eco but also on 16" wheels and non continental eco's

I found the Eco 5's very noisy and reading online they do not get great reviews, the eco 3 it replaces also has people concerned with vague steering?

Anyone else running other tyres than Conti's?

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:03 pm

at speed I mean motorway speeds between 60 and 80 mph.i will check my tyre pressure and see if that makes a difference thanks.

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:05 pm

I agree about the steering being light and sensitive compared to my Renault captur.

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall bloke on Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:42 pm

Another S driver and I have not noticed any wandering at motorway speeds. The tyres are set to comfort pressures.
Tall bloke
Tall bloke

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:47 pm

The recommended tyre pressures are between 37 and 41 psi, which would appear to be a little on the high side. I guess we all need to make minor steering adjustments due to camber, and roads that may look straight having slight deviations. At least it keeps us awake !!!

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:13 pm

Economy often equals very little rolling resistance which in this case has resulted in some owners/reports of vague steering which can be a symptom of vague steering, anyone that is going to try the comfort setting remember to also adjust the tyre pressure monitor settings on the dash prior to lowering the tyre pressures

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Badfx on Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:55 am

I have just driven up from SW France on the lovely quite motorways. Cruising at 130kph (80mph) there i's some vibration felt through the seat's and steering wheel. It's not a massive amount but it is noticeably not there at 70mph. This is the first time I have done any distance at 130kph. Is it possible the tracking was not correct at the time of delivery or gone out in 12000 km.
P.s I checked tyre pressures before setting off and all are 33psi.

Badfx

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:00 am

Are you on oe or winter tyres?

I know the roads in France are not as bad as the UK but in 12000km something as simple as a pot hole could result in an unbalanced wheel/tyre rather than hopefully a tracking issue

May be worth getting the wheels and tyres checked for balancing first, it may even be as simple as a weight has come off during that time, stick on weights either stay on for good or can come off if the area has not been cleaned correctly

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Badfx on Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:05 am

Still on the tyres it came with.
I can't think of hitting any pot holes but its not just me that drives it. I will try to get the balance checked first before returning. I take it that would be a kwik fit thing, is that the best place to go?

Badfx

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:14 am

I would not say Kwik Fit is the best Smile but they will be able to check the balancing, as you say it is felt in the steering it indicates it may be one of the front wheels rather than the rear, the fact you can drive in or out of the vibration does indicate a balancing issue

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiara5 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:04 pm

Both the better half and I have found the same lightness of steering and constant adjustment needed at speed.
Its great for town use but on a motorway it can be tiring. We have changed the Conti's and use comfort pressures and it has improved it, but still there. Seems to be a curse of electric steering systems and how they are set up!

Tiara5

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:10 pm

I agree around town and the likes no problem,but at motorway speeds as you say very tiring.i have my tyres set at comfort.i have not experienced this on other cars that I have had.

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by Badfx on Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:21 pm

I have just done a 900 mile journey mostly at 80mph and then 70 mph and didn't have a problem. The biggest part of that was with cruise control set at 80mph on quiet motorways with very little overtaking. I'm on the original tyres at 33psi. That would suggest the problem is curable.

Badfx

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:31 am

How many km have you done Badfx?

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Badfx on Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:33 am

Around 12000 on total.

Badfx

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiara5 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:39 pm

12000 miles here. Reduced the pressures to 33 for comfort setting and didnt make any difference in fuel consumption or to the steering feel. Doesnt pull to either side and not due to wind.
Its definately a lightness issue and if you can very lightly hold the wheel and sort of leave it to its own devices its not too bad.Our Golf has relatively heavy steering whereas the Passat has much lighter ie more assistance, however both self centre on faster roads much more than the Vitara and are in that way more relaxing to drive (Not advocating VW here by the way, they have their own issues like most cars!).
In the area we frequent in Normandy the roads are much better than UK, with even most D roads having been resurfaced in the last few years and the Autoroutes are glass smooth, steering is the same though.
All these cars have 'electric' steering, perhaps its the software setup that has been carried out for nimble city type driving!

Tiara5

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:23 pm

you could be right what you are saying tiara 5.i did find I was doing a lot of correcting on my journey.

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down