DIESIL PARTICULATE FILTER D P F

Go down

DIESIL PARTICULATE FILTER   D P F  Empty DIESIL PARTICULATE FILTER D P F

Post by JOHNWALES on Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:48 pm

There was a programme on t.v. the other morning illustrating the problems associated with DPF on modern diesel cars. It suggested that people covering less than 12,000 miles per year should steer clear of diesel's, and instructed viewers who usually only do short journeys to give their motors a 20 minute run at 2,000 r.p.m. in the event of the warning light activating. As the Vitara 1.6 is very close to 70 m.p.h. at 2,000 r.p.m. in top gear, I recommend that short journey motorists should regularly drive in a lower gear to ensure that the engine is rotating at 2,000 r.p.m. Five minutes under these conditions once per week, should avoid DPF problems.

My Vitara is a demonstrator which on collection had 2,800 miles on the clock. On my way home the DPF light activated, and I followed this procedure, and corrected the problem within 10 minutes. The car has done 18,000 miles now, which includes many very long runs. But in between these I do have extensive periods of town hopping; but by monitoring the r.p.m. I have not had any further problems.

Should owners ignore this warning light and not rectify it, they could be faced with then need to replace the DPF which could cost in excess of £1,000

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

DIESIL PARTICULATE FILTER   D P F  Empty Re: DIESIL PARTICULATE FILTER D P F

Post by Prokopas on Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:48 am

John the proposed 20 minute runs at 2,000 r.p.m are intended for the regeneration process of the DPF. I would actually propose to keep the rpm a little higher as the DPF regeneration is performed through the temperature of the exhaust fumes.

In case this regeneration is not peformed, ie the temperature of the exhaust fumes is not as high as needed to clean the DPF, the warning light popes up and the regeneration procudere (high rpm's for a certain amount of time) is being performed by the ECU.

Overall, yes users should not ignore the light and even better they should, once in a while, make such short journeys with higher rpms than usual.
Prokopas
Prokopas

Back to top Go down

Post by Ulpian on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:06 am

You can hear the DPF cutting in by a slight roar from the engine. Try not to switch the engine off if this happens because the engine is burning accumulated soot. If you do switch off then the engine will try again once it is up to temperature and if you keep stopping it repeatedly it will eventually clog. The warning light is just that, a warning, not a guide, and it should not appear ever if you are driving to suit the Diesel engine. If the light does come on take the car for a good twenty minute run to clear the filter. If you perpetually fail to allow the filter to burn clear by stopping the engine too soon ithe engine will go into limp mode and need a dealer regeneration, which costs money and does the engine no good.

The DPFs of Ford and Renault Diesels continue running after the engine is switched off, which has frightened a few colleagues of mine, but at least that way the DPF shouldn't clog. The Fiat Diesels don't seem to have this feature.

Ulpian

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:08 pm

Ulpian wrote:......The Fiat Diesels don't seem to have this feature.

Strange with the S-Cross and Vitara using Fiat Diesels you would have thought they would be the same?

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Ulpian on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:41 pm

I had a Fiat with the same Diesel as in the s Cross and Vitara, and the regen stopped when the engine was stopped. Fiat Diesels don't incorporate the software and so the same engine in Suzukis doesn't either. I know for a fact that the Renault and Ford Diesels, in the Clio and Focus, do have the DPF 'continuation after ignition turn off' feature.

Ulpian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down