Headlight adjustment for driving abroad

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Headlight adjustment for driving abroad Empty Headlight adjustment for driving abroad

Post by Badfx on Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:22 pm

Hi
I am visiting England in my Vitara for the first time since owning it. Is it possible to adjust the headlights in my French Vitara for driving in the UK.
Of not has anyone tried those beam adjustment stickers.

Neil

Badfx

Back to top Go down

Headlight adjustment for driving abroad Empty Re: Headlight adjustment for driving abroad

Post by Admin on Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:06 pm

Had to fit them earlier this month to the Vitara Neil...

Headlight adjustment for driving abroad Euroli11

Headlight adjustment for driving abroad Euroli12

Headlight adjustment for driving abroad Euroli13

With Projector lamps this is how they went, if you look closely on the lens there is a location mark which goes at 9 o'clock to the beam adjusters....

Headlight adjustment for driving abroad Img_6513

Headlight adjustment for driving abroad Img_6510

Headlight adjustment for driving abroad Img_6511

Headlight adjustment for driving abroad Img_6512

Don't hold me to this but your Vitara being left hand drive they may have to go the opposite side, i'm sure the LHD instructions will say

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Headlight adjustment for driving abroad Empty Re: Headlight adjustment for driving abroad

Post by Badfx on Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:14 pm

Thanks Karl.

Badfx

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:32 pm

Perhaps some one would provide a visual plan for fitting converters to U.K. cars going on the Continent.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:53 pm

That was for a UK Car John, as I said at the end Neil may have to fit the beam deflectors oposite his being LHD

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:59 pm

Thanks Karl, was not awake last night !!!

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by plunet on Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:44 am

So does 'projector' include the LED lamps that the Vitara S has?

plunet

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:48 am

Yes I think Eurolites call anything non "H"type bulb a projector lamp

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by plunet on Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:54 am

Thanks Karl. I've not looked at the detail of the Vitara S headlamps but from just using the car they seem to give a very even distribution of light both left and right, and I had asked myself the question whether I would need anything if I took the car over to the continent. Is there actually a directional beam to deflect?

I have noticed that the self levelling function does sometimes set the beam pitch a little high and annoy oncoming drivers but there seems to be little we can do to adjust it?

plunet

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:53 pm

Hi Plunet; I too have been wondering whether there is a need for beam converters on the self levelling headlamps. As you say dipped lights appear to be very even both left and right. For a fact I know on my two Alpine journeys this year, the first I did not fit them, and on the second I fitted them incorrectly. On neither journey was I flashed at all.
The problem I suppose evolves if you have an accident; and the police pick up on any converter issues, which are passed on to your insurance company.
I seem to remember the hand book on my previous SX4 SCross clearly stating that Projector headlamps did not require adjustment for continental travel.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by theforestdweller on Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:45 pm

plunet wrote:I have noticed that the self levelling function does sometimes set the beam pitch a little high and annoy oncoming drivers but there seems to be little we can do to adjust it?
I'm flashed regularly by oncoming drivers, but was advised by dealership that there is no adjustment on the self levelling lights. I find this very unlikely. It would infer that when the vehicle is built the lighting units are dropped in and that's it! Surely they must be set up at the factory after initial installation which means that there must be a means of adjustment Exclamation  Question
theforestdweller
theforestdweller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:10 pm

theforestdweller wrote:
plunet wrote:I have noticed that the self levelling function does sometimes set the beam pitch a little high and annoy oncoming drivers but there seems to be little we can do to adjust it?
I'm flashed regularly by oncoming drivers, but was advised by dealership that there is no adjustment on the self levelling lights. I find this very unlikely. It would infer that when the vehicle is built the lighting units are dropped in and that's it! Surely they must be set up at the factory after initial installation which means that there must be a means of adjustment Exclamation  Question

The lights can be calibrated via Suzuki SDT and this is also advised after any suspension work has been carried out. This procedure levels the headlights to the ride hight of the car so the auto system knows its parameters of operation.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:42 pm

It is very odd that some Vitara owners seem to suffer from constant flashing ( please excuse the expression ) and others like myself never have a problem. Cargreen please forgive the question but is it possible that the flashing is prompted by a delay in dipping ?

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Badfx on Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:18 pm

It happens to me too, getting flashed at night. I used to flash back as it's rare that I actually put full beam on. Now what I tend to do is use full beam and leave it a bit longer than I would have done to lower it so the approaching car can see I have lowered it. That helps me not get flashed at and blinded but no help for the oncoming driver.

Badfx

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:36 pm

Sensible solution for you Badfx, I can remember doing the same thing back in history. But what is the problem ? I have covered 15,000 miles in my Vitara and can honestly say I have never been flashed, and I regularly do night driving. I have noticed that my main beam gives a fantastic distance illumination, and when I dip my lights as said previously it is a fairly even pattern on both near and off side. There must be an adjustment somewhere in the units that mechanics are not aware of.

I would also have thought that in this day and age there would be a simple switch that alternated the head lights for use on the continent.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:41 pm

JOHNWALES wrote:It is very odd that some Vitara owners seem to suffer from constant flashing ( please excuse the expression ) and others like myself never have a problem. Cargreen please forgive the question but is it possible that the flashing is prompted by a delay in dipping ?

Quite possible, John. I also have drivers flash me, I just don't think people understand the norm that is xenon and LED headlights theses days. I drove the other halfs yaris this week and the headlights can only be compared to candles in jars.

Back on topic with the original question though, were trailing off here.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by theforestdweller on Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:38 pm

Gargreen wrote:The lights can be calibrated via Suzuki SDT ...
Just to tidy up the "off topic" part of this thread Embarassed , I relayed this information to my dealership. They have now confirmed after some investigation that this adjustment is possible but had previously been unaware of it. I'm now booked in for a free adjustment. Many thanks to Gargreen for the heads up Smile
theforestdweller
theforestdweller

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:16 am

theforestdweller wrote:
Gargreen wrote:The lights can be calibrated via Suzuki SDT ...
Just to tidy up the "off topic" part of this thread Embarassed , I relayed this information to my dealership. They have now confirmed after some investigation that this adjustment is possible but had previously been unaware of it. I'm now booked in for a free adjustment. Many thanks to Gargreen for the heads up Smile

Happy to help!
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:05 pm

I`m confused , doesn`t take much these days admittedly but in Karl`s headlamp photo`s in the earlier post, the dip beam deflectors appear to be on the main beam lamps! is this a Captain Mainwaring moment, (I wondered who would be the first to spot that), or am I being a stupid boy !
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:22 pm

I would have to agree but with my eyesight the only location mark I could see in the lens that the instructions said to align with was as fitted confused

Anyone else got marks on the low beam of their lens?

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:22 pm

Dazzling headlights from oncoming vehicles are annoying, and we all tend to look directly at them, in the same way as spectators look at the screen, instead of the camera, when being filmed at televised games.

Adjust your vision guys, and look to your near side; I find it helps. Another idea as well I have flip up clip on sunglasses that I fit over my prescription glasses. I have experimented several times in heavy rain and get the feeling I can see better with the sun glasses on in these conditions. The same applies in fog or mist; but have yet to experiment with night driving.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris on Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:52 pm

Evil or Very Mad My gripe about headlight alignment is constantly getting blinded, in broad daylight, by a tourist from the european side of the channel who has not bothered to fit any form of masking and is happily driving in the UK with his lights on but dipped the wrong way! If we, by law, have to ensure we do fit adaptors..why don`t they when they are over here?

Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Badfx on Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:01 pm

I'm pretty sure visitors to the UK in left hand drive cars do have to re-direct there lights just as visitors to Europe in right hand drive cars do. It may come as a surprise but Brits don't always fit beam deflectors or "they" fit them in-correctly.
Maybe no one has pointed it out to the driver.

Badfx

Back to top Go down

Post by Badfx on Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:29 am

I got beam deflectors from the petrol station on the English side of the tunnel. They are the same as right hand drive but the instructions are in French etc and they fit on opposite side.

Badfx

Back to top Go down

Post by plunet on Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:39 am

I took this picture of what my UK Vitara S dipped LED headlights are projecting up against a wall....

Headlight adjustment for driving abroad Img_2010

Picture was taken from a camera phone resting on the dashboard of the card, located centrally and pointing straight forward.
You can hopefully see that there really seems to be a pretty even intensity of light, with no clear beam deflection to the left and a pretty horizontal top to the beam - there is a very slight difference in level.
So I still ponder what effect some beam deflectors would have on the light....

But I also acknowledge that if I were going to the continent it would be sensible to attach something that looks like a beam deflector to the headlamps avoid needing to have an argument with someone in a foreign language about their absence...

plunet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next