Vitara S fuel ?

Go down

Vitara S fuel ? Empty Vitara S fuel ?

Post by sundodger on Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:11 pm

Apologies if this has been raised before, but haven't noted it anywhere.
Recent conversation with a friend discussing various Vitara options...There was a suggestion that the S booster jet engine requires premium grade unleaded to avoid long term problems ? I said I would not think so. Am I correct ?

sundodger

Back to top Go down

Vitara S fuel ? Empty Re: Vitara S fuel ?

Post by lvadmaker on Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:24 pm

You are correct, it states 95 in the fuel filler neck.

lvadmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by sundodger on Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:28 pm

....Cheers - Know all git owes me a pint !

sundodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:11 pm

95 is the lowest grade here in the UK. 98 is what we would class as premium.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by sundodger on Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:45 pm

Same here Gar...Greeks tend to go for the 98 though - Power is God

sundodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall bloke on Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:07 pm

I have noticed recently that my economy has really dropped. I took the car into my local dealership for the SATNAV upgrade or to have the latest software installed and things have got worse since then. When driving to the dealership the range to empty tank was about 96 on normal A roads at normal speeds. When I drove the car out of the dealership 30 minutes later the range to empty tank was 45 on the same roads at the same speeds. Now updating the SATNAV software should have no effect on the fuel range but I have spoken to the garage and raised a concern, they have asked me to keep an eye on things. Before the upgrade the range to empty for a newly filled tank was over 400 and as high as 440 and now the best I get is 390. I was watching the range today driving back from Windsor and am not happy at all. The range to empty dropped by 20 miles over a 5 mile stretch of the M3 while on cruise.
Any ideas?
Tall bloke
Tall bloke

Back to top Go down

Post by sundodger on Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:10 pm

Don't rely on a sat nav ?

sundodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall bloke on Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:44 pm

It's the reading from the trip computer in the instrument panel that I have taken my figures from
Tall bloke
Tall bloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:09 am

Tall bloke wrote:I have noticed recently that my economy has really dropped. I took the car into my local dealership for the SATNAV upgrade or to have the latest software installed and things have got worse since then. When driving to the dealership the range to empty tank was about 96 on normal A roads at normal speeds. When I drove the car out of the dealership 30 minutes later the range to empty tank was 45 on the same roads at the same speeds. Now updating the SATNAV software should have no effect on the fuel range but I have spoken to the garage and raised a concern, they have asked me to keep an eye on things. Before the upgrade the range to empty for a newly filled tank was over 400 and as high as 440 and now the best I get is 390.  I was watching the range today driving back from Windsor and am not happy at all. The range to empty dropped by 20 miles over a 5 mile stretch of the M3 while on cruise.
Any ideas?

I wouldn't takeoff or gold. Everything thing is variable day to day from weather to traffic. On very cold days I find the car runs better than on a very hot day. With regards to the sat about update, they take about 20 mins to look as and I wouldn't be surprised if they let your car idle over for the duration.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by lvadmaker on Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:19 am

And the best way to check the consumption is too brim the tank (preferably at the the same petrol station and pump so car is at same level each time) and calculate from the actual trip reading.

lvadmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall bloke on Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:02 pm

Gargreen - even if they left the car on idle for 30 mins while doing the update I wouldn't expect the amount of fuel used to come anywhere near 50 miles worth. Interestingly the fuel gauge was about the same before and after the update which is what is puzzling.
Tall bloke
Tall bloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:25 pm

I recall someone commenting on how low my MPG was in a photo i had posted on the forum earlier this year, that had only been idling on the driveway for 5-10minutes and dropped to 30-35mpg which in some calculation would reduce the range left

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Badfx on Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:28 pm

Would the range be calculated on your instant mpg rather than average. So if your car had been left idling then the instant mpg would be Zero and that would have an effect on the predicted miles left in the tank.
I agree with ivadmaker as the more accurate way to work out your mpg. If it still looks wrong take it back and get Suzuki to figure out what's gone wrong.

Badfx

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall bloke on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:00 pm

Was I seeing things or do other get a range of over 400 miles just after filling up and doing sensible driving?
Tall bloke
Tall bloke

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:39 pm

lvadmaker wrote:And the best way to check the consumption is too brim the tank (preferably at the the same petrol station and pump so car is at same level each time) and calculate from the actual trip reading.

This is the only foolproof way of checking fuel consumption, short of having a flow meter in the fuel line and accurately measuring the fuel used anything else is at best an educated guess.
On the 2009 Grand Vitara we have just traded in, the mpg figures used to be all over the place for probably the first six months or so, possibly longer as I didn`t pay any real attention to it but gradually it settled down and finally settled on around 37 to 38 mpg and stayed there plus or minus a couple of mpg, a friend of mine with a GV noticed exactly the same so possibly the computer needs more data over a longer period to be somewhere near accurate, just a thought, I will carry on using the same system as lvadmaker for now.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall bloke on Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:15 pm

Now things have settled down again we are getting a rename to Emory reading of over 400 miles for a full tank. Back where it was before the update so must have been our driving style or just not doing long enough runs for the system to give a good reading.
Happy again.
Tall bloke
Tall bloke

Back to top Go down

Post by lvadmaker on Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:47 am

Quick update, did a London to Scotland run last weekend, with my tank brimming technique, gave a real world 46.25 mpg, which is the best we have had (car now just turned 20000 miles). S auto

lvadmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down