Brake pedal

Go down

Brake pedal Empty Brake pedal

Post by JohnA on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:09 am

Anyone had trouble with a hard brake pedal. After leaving car for a few hours or overnight when I start the engine the brake pedal is rock hard and only softens when the engines starts. This as only just developed after 8 months of use. Before that it was just soft to press all the time. John

JohnA

Back to top Go down

Brake pedal Empty Re: Brake pedal

Post by Gar Green on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:13 pm

Do you pump the pedal when the car is off?
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnA on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:50 pm

I brake and stop normally then apply the handbrake. If I return to the car after a short period of time the brake pedal is at normal pressure. If I leave for a few hours or overnight the pedal is hard. I don't pump the pedal as there is no give in it when it is like this it's just hard. Depressing the brake pedal is part of the starting procedure so I can tell straight away that the pedal is hard. Once I start the car the brake pedal returns to normal pressure almost immediately. Just started doing this after 8 months of use.

JohnA

Back to top Go down

Post by suzuki-loops on Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:24 pm

JohnA

Did you ever get to the bottom of this as I am also experiencing the same problem? I recently left my car at the airport for 7 days and when I got back, the brake pedal was solid. After putting my back firmly against the back of the seat, I managed to get sufficient weight on the pedal to move it enough to enable the car to start, once the car was started, the pedal returned to normal.

The dealer don't have a resolution for it.

suzuki-loops

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnA on Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:54 pm

Hi, I took my car back to the dealership 3 times with this problem and each time they said there was no problem with the car. They made me feel that I was just wasting there time.
My problem was not as bad as yours by the sound of it.
All I needed to do to get round the problem was to press the engine start button once and then instead of pressing both the brake and clutch to start the engine (as instructed) I just pressed the clutch and left the brake alone and the engine fired up normally and the brake pedal immediately went back to its normal pressure.
I have got used to this method now and the issue doesn't bother me at all anymore.
It wasn't like that when I first got the car but as long as it starts and is reliable I don't worry about it.

JohnA

Back to top Go down

Post by suzuki-loops on Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:53 pm

Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately I have an automatic and have to depress the brake pedal to start the car, which is a challenge when it's solid! The car is two years old and this was the first time it had happened.

suzuki-loops

Back to top Go down

Post by Dougie M on Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:21 am

My car also has a very firm pedal when not used for a few days and is also an auto but only needs a light touch of the brake to start.

Dougie M

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:17 am

suzuki-loops wrote:Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately I have an automatic and have to depress the brake pedal to start the car, which is a challenge when it's solid! The car is two years old and this was the first time it had happened.

It would seem to me that the vacuum in the brake servo is leaking away overnight, my car, (manual diesel) has not been started since Tuesday and when I checked just now there was still vacuum there until the third push on the brake pedal when it went hard as you would expect, the dealership should certainly be able to check for a simple vacuum leak down, there will be a non return valve somewhere in the pipe to the servo or it could be a pinhole in the servo diaphragm itself, this would not be noticeable under normal driving conditions because the engine will easily maintain enough vacuum but even a very small leak overnight will be enough to cause the problem you and John A seem to be experiencing.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by suzuki-loops on Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:25 am

The dealer did mention something about the vacuum, but haven't done anything about it, implying it one of those things that happens.

suzuki-loops

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down