Vitara 1.4 Boosterjet Auto - Mini Drive Report.

Go down

Vitara 1.4 Boosterjet Auto - Mini Drive Report. Empty Vitara 1.4 Boosterjet Auto - Mini Drive Report.

Post by Gar Green on Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:23 pm

Managed to have my first drive of the auto Boosterjet today. I didn't really cover a fair distance, but enough to gauge a good idea of the car.

Gearbox

The obvious starting place and pleasantly surprised. I'm not an auto driver nor have I ever owned one so I'll go ahead and assume that you must adapt your driving style to get the best out of it. I found the changes were smooth and direct, but the changes were not always there when I wanted them.

The flappy paddles were a personal highlight for quicker driving, great fun and make you feel like a child again. This taken into account, I would most likely leave the box in auto for day to day trips.

The one downside was the whine. This may well be common for autos, but it would forever be in the back of my head if it were my own car.

Power and Performance

You always want more power, I'd be a lot happier with a unit producing above 160hp but the 1.4T seems to do alright. The box and engine combo works well, one complementing the other, far better than the likes of the auto S-Cross petrol.

Great solid stance at speed and no lurching when low down. A little wallow through the bends, but the 4WD drags you through just fine. Sometimes I forget its not my Swift Sport and I shouldn't expect it to handle in that way but it does scrub up alright.

Like I said, just a quick report of the auto. I don't think i'll be giving up my manual though.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Vitara 1.4 Boosterjet Auto - Mini Drive Report. Empty Re: Vitara 1.4 Boosterjet Auto - Mini Drive Report.

Post by Bjorn on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:46 am

Got no whining from my auto (1.6), in fact I am very happy with the function, however I have started filling with 98 octane petrol (Shell) and it made a big difference to the changes, I think it has something to do with the knock sensing but it seems to pull longer through the gears and hold longer before downshifting. I think the auto is on par or maybe better than the auto we have in our MB SLK!

Bjorn

Back to top Go down