LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE Empty LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE

Post by Admin on Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:23 pm

The SZ5 and Turbo Vitara are fitted with LED low beam headlights as standard, the high beam and fog lights are then left with a dated yellow tint to them

Available now in many fitments are these LED bulbs that give a brighter white light, produce less heat on the plastic headlight lenses and draw less current

SZ4 and SZ-T models will require 3 pairs of LED bulbs for a full conversion...

H11 Low Beam
HB3 High Beam
H11 Fog Lights

SZ5 and Turbo will require 2 pairs of LED bulbs for a full conversion...

O/E Low Beam
HB3 High Beam
H11 Fog Lights

This fitment is to the SZ5/Turbo Vitara but the SZ4/SZ-T only requires the additional fitment of the H11 LED fitting

The bulbs come well presented in a decent box with a foam inlay to prevent any damage during shipping...

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE Img_6418

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE Img_6415

Looking at the rear of the headlamp you will see the HB3 bulb...

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE Img_6417

Turning the bulb anti clockwise will allow the removal and releasing the locking tab you can disconnect the wiring connector...

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE Img_6416

Fitting of the LED bulb is simply a matter of lining up the three locating tabs on the locking ring and turning the bulb clockwise to lock it in place...

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE Img_6420

And connecting the plug and play HB3 connector...

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE Img_6419

Finally using some black insulation tape route the wires alongside the existing loom to give that factory fitted look...

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE Img_6421

The foglight bulb is a carbon copy install of above but requires the removal of 3 Philips head screws and folding down the front arch splash guard to allow access to the rear of the fog light...

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE Img_6422

And finally the end result, not as obvious in the daylight but you can still see the drivers side bulbs have been replaced and the yellow tint can be seen on the oe passenger side...

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE Img_6423

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE 18m4dl

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE Empty Re: LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE

Post by Gar Green on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:06 pm

Can confirm, we'll worth converting. Not only for light performance but aesthetic appeal as well.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE Empty Re: LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE

Post by charlie on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:27 pm

I'll second that Gar.

Charlie
charlie
charlie

Back to top Go down

Post by marios.iona on Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:27 am

Like it!

marios.iona

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall bloke on Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:58 pm

Where did you buy the bulbs? Have looked, but lots out there.
Tall bloke
Tall bloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:00 pm

Tall bloke wrote:Where did you buy the bulbs? Have looked, but lots out there.

Here you go!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272145477872?_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Souter on Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:23 pm

I bought and fitted Main and Fog LED bulbs to my S and while I agree they make the car look much better from the outside I think the light performance is terrible.
The problem is the light source is huge in comparison to the standard tungsten filament. The lens and the reflector are designed for a filament of about 2mm diameter and the LED bulbs are about 20mm diameter with the result the light is scattered in all the wrong directions.
I have taken them out and replaced the standard bulbs as I do a lot of rural driving on main beam and really need to see where I am going rather than look good.
GS
Grumpy Souter
Grumpy Souter

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall bloke on Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:33 pm

Thanks, ordered some. Will wait and see what effect they have as main beam and if not ideal can then use them as fog lights.
Tall bloke
Tall bloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Souter on Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:55 pm

Sorry to tell you they are not interchangeable Main is a HB3 bulb and Fog is a H11 bulb.
GS
Grumpy Souter
Grumpy Souter

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall bloke on Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:01 pm

Thanks, don't know what I was thinking. They fit the fog lights which is what I wanted to do as I use them for driving lights. I think the fogs just widen the light field and make it easier on the eyes at night.
Tall bloke
Tall bloke

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:11 pm

Tall bloke wrote:Thanks, don't know what I was thinking. They fit the fog lights which is what I wanted to do as I use them for driving lights. I think the fogs just widen the light field and make it easier on the eyes at night.

You are aware I hope, that it is an offence to use fog lamps in good visibility, I understand it now carries a spot fine penalty, from memory I think the rule used to state any auxiliary lamp below 24" could only be used in fog or falling snow, I must admit I find them a pain on wet roads especially as the glare can be very bad,(especially now I wear glasses).

Back in the late 60`s and early 70`s I used to compete in road rallies with a works replica Mini Cooper S which had a light bar carrying the four driving lamps in a row across the grille, a traffic sergeant with tape measure checked them at the start of one event and declared them illegal unless foggy, we then modified the setup to two up and two down, the top lamps being the driving lamps and the bottom two either splayed outwards or crossed over to help through the corners, the bottom two were" NEVER EVER used in good visibility officer" !!
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:52 pm

Grumpy Souter wrote:I bought and fitted Main and Fog LED bulbs to my S and while I agree they make the car look much better from the outside I think the light performance is terrible.....

Sorry to hear you had no joy with your LED's GS, did you buy them from the same seller? I know HID's don't really work with standard reflector lenses but my Vitara LED's are very good and better I find than the oe bulb,
Street lighting I few and far between where I live so decent lighting is a bonus, i
did fit another set to a XL7 that as you say threw the light everywhere, on inspection the adaptor ring had been assembled the wrong way round, I reversed the adaptor ring and it transformed the XL7's lighting

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Souter on Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:06 pm

Yes the bulbs I bought are exactly the same as the ones in the photographs above, I just don't think the reflectors and refractors were designed to control the light from such a large light source in the correct pattern to give the best view of the road.
GS
Grumpy Souter
Grumpy Souter

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:25 pm

Grumpy Souter wrote:Yes the bulbs I bought are exactly the same as the ones in the photographs above, I just don't think the reflectors and refractors were designed to control the light from such a large light source in the correct pattern to give the best view of the road.
GS

Exactly the same experience here, just fitted the same set of HB3 LED bulbs to main beam, did a road test and they are absolutely hopeless, yes they are very white indeed but the light goes in all the wrong places, the road immediately in front of the car is as white as snow, exactly the effect of fitting leds to the foglamps I would think, also I can see exactly which birds are nesting in the trees directly above but ahead and above the dip beam nothing but a slight grey foggy sensation, you can still see the dip beam cut off clearly, there is no extra long range light at all, the original halogen bulbs might have been yellow by comparison but at least they lit up the road ahead.

I noticed that there seems to be a newer version of these bulbs which only has the light panels on two sides rather than four, has anyone tried these yet?

I think I will go back to something like Osram Night breaker Xenon bulbs which I know work well from previous vehicles
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by alpingen on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:32 am

Is the vehicle/car warranty is broken?
alpingen
alpingen

Back to top Go down

Post by alpingen on Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:14 pm

hi Karl,

in Turkey Model Vitara GL+ = UK model Vitara SZ-T
my car headlights:
Low Beam and High Beam halogen Sad

which model Led I have to use for change?
There are technical details in the picture

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE Models10

thanks for help.

Admin wrote:The SZ5 and Turbo Vitara are fitted with LED low beam headlights as standard, the high beam and fog lights are then left with a dated yellow tint to them

Available now in many fitments are these LED bulbs that give a brighter white light, produce less heat on the plastic headlight lenses and draw less current

SZ4 and SZ-T models will require 3 pairs of LED bulbs for a full conversion...

H11 Low Beam
HB3 High Beam
H11 Fog Lights

SZ5 and Turbo will require 2 pairs of LED bulbs for a full conversion...

O/E Low Beam
HB3 High Beam
H11 Fog Lights

This fitment is to the SZ5/Turbo Vitara but the SZ4/SZ-T only requires the additional fitment of the H11 LED fitting

The bulbs come well presented in a decent box with a foam inlay to prevent any damage during shipping...

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE Img_6418

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE Img_6415

Looking at the rear of the headlamp you will see the HB3 bulb...

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE Img_6417

Turning the bulb anti clockwise will allow the removal and releasing the locking tab you can disconnect the wiring connector...

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE Img_6416

Fitting of the LED bulb is simply a matter of lining up the three locating tabs on the locking ring and turning the bulb clockwise to lock it in place...

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE Img_6420

And connecting the plug and play HB3 connector...

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE Img_6419

Finally using some black insulation tape route the wires alongside the existing loom to give that factory fitted look...

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE Img_6421

The foglight bulb is a carbon copy install of above but requires the removal of 3 Philips head screws and folding down the front arch splash guard to allow access to the rear of the fog light...

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE Img_6422

And finally the end result, not as obvious in the daylight but you can still see the drivers side bulbs have been replaced and the yellow tint can be seen on the oe passenger side...

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE Img_6423

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE 18m4dl

Karl
alpingen
alpingen

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:46 pm

Hi Alp, the bulbs i do not think would cause problems with your warranty, Bulbs like tyres are a consumable that need replacing over time

The H11 we use are...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-LED-Car-4000lm-headlight-Kit-40W-Headlamp-For-H16-H11-H8-H9-9005-H10-9006-/272145477872?hash=item3f5d2270f0:g:xK0AAOSwe7BWzuCG

HB3...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40W-Car-headlamps-4000LM-headlights-8-LED-light-COB-Bulbs-For-9005-HB3-H10-6000K-/272145485091?hash=item3f5d228d23:g:FFUAAOSwB4NWzuG1

Myself and others have had succes with the above yet others are not happy with them so may be personal taste

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alpingen on Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:58 pm

Thats okey. thank you for your recomendations. so does the low beam decrease their light power/intensity? i think that i can assembly it..?
alpingen
alpingen

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:53 pm

From looking at the headlamps on the SZ-T they appear to be the same design as SZ-5 and Turbo, ie projector dip beam and conventional reflector main, so it may well be that the LED bulbs will work ok in the dip beam projector lamp, certainly the light scatter in my main beam with LED was awful, and I could not recommend them for main beam, incidentally the seller was fantastic and gave me an instant and full refund so no loss there.

Will be interested to see the outcome if Alpingen goes ahead with the mod, the LED dip beam on my car is fantastic.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by jbo83 on Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:19 pm

HILLCLIMBER wrote:
Grumpy Souter wrote:Yes the bulbs I bought are exactly the same as the ones in the photographs above, I just don't think the reflectors and refractors were designed to control the light from such a large light source in the correct pattern to give the best view of the road.
GS

Exactly the same experience here, just fitted the same set of HB3 LED bulbs to main beam, did a road test and they are absolutely hopeless, yes they are very white indeed but the light goes in all the wrong places, the road immediately in front of the car is as white as snow, exactly the effect of fitting leds to the foglamps I would think, also I can see exactly which birds are nesting in the trees directly above but ahead and above the dip beam nothing but a slight grey foggy sensation, you can still see the dip beam cut off clearly, there is no extra long range light at all, the original halogen bulbs might have been yellow by comparison but at least they lit up the road ahead.

I noticed that there seems to be a newer version of these bulbs which only has the light panels on two sides rather than four, has anyone tried these yet?

I think I will go back to something like Osram Night breaker Xenon bulbs which I know work well from previous vehicles

+1 on that! This weekend I will be changing the bulbs back to standard. The LED's offer no distance to the light beam whatsoever after driving earlier in the week in the dark.

The fogs work well though.
jbo83
jbo83

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:48 pm

Just put a pair of Ring Xenon bulbs in my main beam lights but trawling through E-Bay I suddenly notice there are a large number of HB3 LED`s with a forward facing light source behind what looks like a projector lens, they may well be the answer to the lack of forward light I mentioned in my earlier post, they did not appear to be available when I originally looked for the LED upgrade.
Will report back on the performance of the Ring bulbs as soon as I get a chance to test them.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris on Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:31 pm

Just fitted Night Breakers to our Vitara, main and dip. Now just have to wait for a drive in the dark! Used them in our S Cross before and they were great so hoping they are still as good now!
Updated 2 Dec. Lamps are very good both on Main and Dip. No unwanted reflections.

Chris

Back to top Go down

LED HEADLIGHT/FOG LIGHT BULB UPGRADE Empty led low beam

Post by red150 on Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:25 pm

Hi all. Are the LED bulbs any good in low beam. Are they legal. Noted that they are poor in main. Thinking of upgrading my standard SZT. Thanks

red150

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:18 pm

Where I live in Shropshire (read dark of an evening) I find the LED's a vast improvement yet others are not too happy with them, it could be down to the quality or supplier of the LED bulbs or just personal preference?

I have fitted H4 Hi/Low beam LED's to my Suzuki Carry and a vast improvement over the PIAA Hyper Plus which at the time were a vast improvement over the standard H4 bulbs

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:56 pm

red150 wrote:Hi all. Are the LED bulbs any good in low beam. Are they legal. Noted that they are poor in main. Thinking of upgrading my standard SZT. Thanks

I would think the LED`s would be fine in your dip beam as you have the same projector dip lamps as the SZ-5 as far as I can see, the dip beam performance on my SZ-5 is truly fantastic, I would not want to go back to halogen dip for anything.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next