A bit of a fraud as yet !

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A bit of a fraud as yet ! Empty A bit of a fraud as yet !

Post by sundodger on Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:30 pm

Hi all - Please cut me a bit of slack here. I have decided to make this post & announce my joining to admit that as yet I am not an actual Vitara owner ! As yet I have only researched several suv's & having visited several showrooms, have more or less decided on the Vitara. To date my only experience of Suzuki has been several SJ413's & older model Vitara's as holiday hire, plus an SJ410 which was owned as a second car in the 1990's.
Hopefully I can trawl this site, for advice, prior to my purchase, as so far there seems to be very little sound information out there on this latest model. Moderator/s I trust this is acceptable to the conditions of membership? If not, I apologise & will delete registration. I would also advise that although a Brit. I actually reside in Greece ... The Vitara specs. Are different here as labelled GL. GL+ & GLX for trim level. I shall I think be ordering the GLX which as far as I can make out is the same as the SZ5 ? But without the sun roof which is an extra. GLX spec is also diesel & 'All grip' Any & all advice would be appreciated...Thanks.
John

sundodger

Back to top Go down

A bit of a fraud as yet ! Empty Re: A bit of a fraud as yet !

Post by Gar Green on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:37 pm

you crack on, Sundodger. Ask away, there are plenty around to give advice.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by sundodger on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:44 pm

Thank you G.g...I am honoured, nay humbled, by your generosity on behalf of yourself & others. My questions may be a plenty

sundodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:19 pm

I see no fraud and if anything you will get a better real life review of the Vitara here than you ever will in a magazine or a dealership

Look forward to hearing your final decision on the Vitara

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by sundodger on Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:08 am

Thanks Karl...Just got to wait now until end of August as this is Greek holiday period & everywhere I need is shut !

sundodger

Back to top Go down

A bit of a fraud as yet ! Empty GREEK ENQUIRY

Post by JOHNWALES on Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:12 pm

The spec formats in Greece seem to be a lot easier than those in the U.K. I think you are making a wise choice, but personally would not involve the extra cost of having the panoramic sun roof. Even partially open it is noisy, and the air conditioning is a far better option for keeping cool. As far as I can tell the a/c has very little effect on the fuel consumption which in my 4 w.d. diesel version is 68 m.p.g. ( 23 km per litre I think ) I would opt for the 4w.d. because it has other advantages other than snow, where it could be useful in Greece - mud on roads in heavy down pours etc. The Vitara also has height adjustment on both front seats and a reversing camera which is very useful. Good luck with your purchase.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by sundodger on Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:11 pm

Thanks John & all others, I had more or less come to the same decision regarding the sun roof. Having sat in a showroom vehicle, I felt comfortable with the seat at a high position. I am under six feet tall, but still think I would appreciate the extra headroom. The GLX version here is 4x4 as well.

sundodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:30 pm

Sunroof or AllGrip I would go AllGrip all the way

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:48 am

I'd trade a sun roof for allgrip any day. (If I even had a sun roof )
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

A bit of a fraud as yet ! Empty All Grip v Sunroof

Post by JOHNWALES on Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:56 pm

My feelings are why have a car like the Vitara with only 2 wheel drive !!! Not a good advert for Suzuki really for potential buyers looking at a 2 wheel drive on summer tyres stuck on a hill in a fall of sleet !!!

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by sundodger on Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:04 pm

Think I'm pretty well sorted as too the sun roof then, so will live up to my forum name ! Very Happy
On the subject of the 'Allgrip' lock mode...Is it just that power is locked 50/50 front to rear, or is there differential lock as well, tech specifications, don't seem to enlarge... I'm probably expecting too much here from a 'Crossover' ?

sundodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:19 pm

This site is great, and will hopefully answer some questions a bit easier than I can.

http://www.globalsuzuki.com/allgrip/

Scroll down and you'll find a set of videos for the different modes than can be selected.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

A bit of a fraud as yet ! Empty Lock mode

Post by JOHNWALES on Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:34 pm

Not very mechanically minded, but I rather think it is a 50/50 distribution which cuts out as soon as the speed reaches 20 m.p.h. I have only ever used it once in the French Alps but on my previous car an SX4 S Cross. I was coming out of a chalet after a snow storm and faced with an snow covered iced drive way with a very steep incline, probably 38%. As a matter of course I locked the 4 w.d. and the first thing I did was stall the engine.
Restarting the engine I managed to exit the hazard with little difficulty, at which time of course I realised that the drive had reverted to auto mode because of the engine restart, and I had neglected to re-engage lock mode. I had dual feelings of being an idiot, but pleased with the cars' performance.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

A bit of a fraud as yet ! Empty Sundodger - Your car.

Post by JOHNWALES on Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:51 pm

Sundodger, presumably you have GPS in your Vitara, and I am wondering if it is the same Bosch unit fitted in U.K. models. My unit covers many Southern European countries including Greece, Serbia, Albania and Northern Cyprus. But it is not as efficient as the former Garmin unit fitted in the SX4 SCross. I therefore have added a Tom Tom to my navigation aids, and when they differ on suggested routing I use my brain to decide which one to follow. I used to think Tom Tom was the b all and end all of navigation units, but am now inclined to have more trust in Garmin.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by sundodger on Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:47 pm

Hi John...Alas, as previous other posts, I am still in the process of purchasing the said vehicle & am therefore gathering information from this veritable fountain of knowledge , prior to doing so. GPS is a black art that I shall have to conquer at a later date. Thus far, all I have to contend with are ordinance survey maps, a compass & a wife who orders me to turn in the appropriate direction ...Sometimes I wish that she could learn left from right !

sundodger

Back to top Go down

Post by sundodger on Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:00 pm

Thanks Gar...OK I see now... No dif lock per se. But understand the action of the braking to lock slipping wheel & maintain traction, quite clever really, similar to a mechanical limited slip dif. In effect.

sundodger

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:40 pm

Sundodger, If you are a bit of a fraud I have been one since April, however from the first of September I shall be the genuine item, my patience has been rewarded!! Suzuki models are a mystery to me as you appear to be able to buy the equivalent to the SZ5 with the sunroof as an option whereas in the UK if you want an SZ5 you have to take the sunroof, seems odd to me.

I was thinking along the same lines as you with regard to the lock mode, I originally thought it was diff lock but after watching the videos it would appear to be just four wheel drive with the slipping wheel being braked as required,(just as we used to do with 1950`s and 60`s farm tractors using the independent brakes,) so much for progress!

I suppose a simple test would be turning on full lock with Allgrip in lock mode and see if it fights against the steering wheel although if it sees the outer wheels going faster as slipping and brakes them it might still pull to the left so not conclusive.

Have you taken a road test yet? it only took me a few minutes to decide the Vitara was what I wanted, most impressive indeed, completely off subject I saw my first Orange/Black Vitara today here  in North Devon towing a camping trailer, (anyone on here?) this was my first choice but senior management preferred Red/Black so anything for a quiet life.

Hopefully you will aquire enough info to make a choice, there is no better place to look.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by sundodger on Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:50 am

Thanks Hillclimber...No, not as yet test driven the Suzuki, as dealers have closed until end of August, for annual holidays. So far I have driven a Mokka (As a hire car on recent visit to UK) Same with a Merc GLA...Mokka was ok, but GLA was awful. Over here I also looked at & tried out. Renault Kadjar, which is based on the Qashqai platform & mechanicals. A very nice car, but with extras, the price racks up quickly ! Also the dealers seemed pretty useless. With the Suzuki dealer, it is a family concern, very helpful, I looked around two Vitara's in the showroom, but they are sold & awaiting delivery, so couldn't drive those. Dealer has promised a test drive as soon as they re open, so I look forward to that.

sundodger

Back to top Go down

Post by sundodger on Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:34 am

Ha ! Dealers have finally awoken from their Summer sleep...Phoned me to advise test drive available for me nest Tuesday (6th Sept). Watch this space

sundodger

Back to top Go down

Post by sundodger on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:04 am

Well...Turned up at the dealers in Kalamata, some thirty klm's from home on date & time as arranged. No test car there & owner said ten minutes. After half an hour, wait another ten minutes...Getting a bit fed up by now & asked what the problem is - 'No problem another ten minutes' sat down again & went into discussions, re delivery times & what if I decide to go with the 'S' rather than a diesel ? Seems 'S' is not popular in Greece, something to do with tax? If I want one...Six months delivery time & NO discount ! Colour also limited to what is available in Greece, unless special order- getting twitchy now! After yet another ten minutes told car still not available & when it does arrive, test drive will be limited to a quick flip around the block....Not really acceptable say I, bearing in mind I am going to spend in the region of 30,000 euros for the spec I want ! It turns out that the test car I await, is that belonging to a customer, going in for a service, who has agreed to give me a go....Unbelievable ! At this point, I tendered my frustration & walked out. Very , very disappointed that a car I have set my mind to, is now to be re considered, as no more Suzuki dealers within reasonable distance....Rant over, will now consider options over next few days.

sundodger

Back to top Go down

A bit of a fraud as yet ! Empty Sun Dodger

Post by JOHNWALES on Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:41 pm

Sundodger, would you consider importing from another country, possibly a demonstrator. I have the address of a Suzuki Dealer in Bavaria who did some warranty work for me last year whilst on holiday. Let me know if you want to follow this up. - hope045@btinternet.com

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by sundodger on Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:38 am

Thanks John, but you can not even begin to understand the problems of importing to Greece ! As well as the red tape, the cost is horrendous ! For example, recently had an acquaintance wanting to move over here & bring in his eight year old Golf....6000 euros was to be the cost. It's not called import duty, as that's illegal under EU rules. They call it registration fee, or something.

sundodger

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:18 pm

Seems a bit of a problem Sundodger; but I looked up Kalamata and could see what a compensating and wonderful area you live in. I can remember that part of Greece from the early 60's when I travelled on an Adriatic Line Ship ( Enotria ) from Venice to Cyprus, and passed through the Corinth Canal.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by sundodger on Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:14 am

The area is beautiful John & as yet somewhat undiscovered by the holiday hoards. Two days ago however, we were hit by the worst storms & flash flooding I have seen in my time here...Roads washed away all over. Need that 4x4 !

sundodger

Back to top Go down

Post by sundodger on Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:57 am

....After the storms two days ago. Anyone see what I see ?A bit of a fraud as yet ! Image10

sundodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next