Inferior design of the ACC

Go down

Inferior design of the ACC Empty Inferior design of the ACC

Post by Kvitara on Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:32 pm

Hi,

this is my first post on the forum, sadly it's not a positive one.

has anyone else had problems with the ACC radar? During my first weekend of ownership I was driving in freezing conditions and it was raining, resulting that ACC radar had a thin layer of ice on top of it and stopped functioning. Then I realised, that when the radar is disabled, you can't use cruise control at all, not even in "normal mode" without the radar/adaptive function. I don't know any other manufacturer that has this limitation, I think it's ridiculous how poorly this system is designed. Any thoughts?

Kvitara

Back to top Go down

Inferior design of the ACC Empty Re: Inferior design of the ACC

Post by Gar Green on Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:04 pm

The system will disable its self if it cannot function effectively and safely. I've not tried but have a go at turning the function off with the switches by the steering wheel
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Kvitara on Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:13 pm

Gargreen wrote:The system will disable its self if it cannot function effectively and safely. I've not tried but have a go at turning the function off with the switches by the steering wheel

I tried different switches and read the manual, when nothing worked I contacted my dealership and they told me it can't be used at all when the radar is off.

The thing I don't understand is why can't the cruise control function like in a normal car, without the radar. For example the screen could have NO RADAR displayed so the driver would know that the adaptive function is off.

Kvitara

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:48 pm

The Vitara is fitted with Adaptive Cruise Control which in turn relies upon the Radar to work correctly. While in Iceland with a Rental Vitara I did on two occasions have the RBS disable with ice forming on the Radar

Inferior design of the ACC Icelan37

........but this was only for 5 minutes max and if I got out to clear the radar it then worked instantly and even down to -17 as you can see on the ice below...

Inferior design of the ACC Icelan98

Your system does seem sensitive and I wonder if there is a way of resetting or calibrating the RBS not to be as sensitive?

Karl

Last edited by Admin on Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:48 pm

Dealers can re-calibrate the system, the kit used for this is part of dealer standards so everyone "should" have one. It was released as a campaign for the early models.

Failing that, the dealer can loan the kit from Suzuki for a zero fee, so there's no excuse not too.

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk/t297-2015-vitara-suzuki-recalls
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Bowgar on Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:48 pm

I had the same thing happen to me last week on the M25, in really heavy rain. When the warning came up I nearly jumped out of my skin. I didn't realise what the problem was immediately so was glad the ACC and the cruise control function was disabled from a safety perspective. I thought there was a trip to the dealer on the cards, but after 10mins all was OK and assumed it was all down to the heavy rain. No problem since.
Bowgar
Bowgar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kvitara on Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:22 am

Currently I have no problems with the radar because weather has warmed up here (I assume that the calibration is not bad). Earlier when I stopped the car and cleaned the radar it started working, but then I drove ~300meters and it was OFF again because thin layer of ice had build-up on it, it was so thin that I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a problem many times to come when the weather starts to cool again. The thing that bothers me is the fact that driver can't use cruise control without the radar. This is the only adaptive cruise system that I know of where this can't be done, and this is why this is poorly designed in my opinion. From a safety perspective I completely understand that the radar is disabled because it can't work reliably, but why can't normal cruise control be used when the radar is OFF...

Kvitara

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevetantop on Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:39 am

Yes, this has happened to me in heavy rain, and also yesterday in perfectly good conditions - hot, in fact.
Restarted soon after.

Reactive cruise is a real benefit (when it works obviously) and a valuable addition to the spec - love it!

Stevetantop

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down