Which Vitara?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Which Vitara? Empty Which Vitara?

Post by Razor120 on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:29 pm

Hi
I'm looking at purchasing a Vitara and have a few questions I'd like answering (if anyone can). I do about 8000 miles per year and I currently have a seat leon 1.6D. Been looking at the SZ5 1,6D Vitara but also the new 1.4S Boosterjet. I have read I could have probs with the particulate filter due to the mileage I would now be doing. I intend keeping the car for some time so wish to make the right decision thats also the most cost effective.   Also has anyone replaced the aerial with a shark fin as looking at the height to get it in my garage I may have to unscrew the aerial every time I put it in or take it out of my garage.

Any help would be appreciated.
Razor120
Razor120

Back to top Go down

Which Vitara? Empty Re: Which Vitara?

Post by Grumpy Souter on Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:51 am

Which Vitara? Shark_10
Hi Razor 120
I have the Vitara S which "I" think is the best option, I am getting 42 MPG over the first 2000 miles
and great performance especially in Sport mode.
Like you I do a low annual mileage and did not even consider a diesel due to the DPF.
I also have fitted a shark fin aerial purely for looks, under £4 from AliExpress.
Go for it you won't be disappointed.

When I work out how to do it I will add some photos
GS

Last edited by Grumpy Souter on Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:43 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add photograph)
Grumpy Souter
Grumpy Souter

Back to top Go down

Post by Razor120 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:50 am

Cheers thanks for that GS. You say you fitted the shark fin aerial purely for looks does this affect the dab radio / sat nav?

Razor120
Razor120
Razor120

Back to top Go down

Post by Jester on Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:18 am

Another 1.4s owner here. I would not entertain a diesel if you intend to keep it beyond its warranty period.

That said I come from a position of owning a Peugeot 407 2.0 diesel SW for 7 years. I really do thinkg that they should legally inform you that if you do not drive a set number of motorway miles every week then the DPF systems etc will fail.

The performance of the 1.4s is by the way far better than the official figures suggest.

Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Razor120 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:29 am

Thanks for that Jester my intention is to keep it beyond the warranty period.
Razor120
Razor120

Back to top Go down

Post by theforestdweller on Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:46 am

It really jars with me the almost total negativity regarding the supposed DPF "problem". My mileage is around 7K per year. I live in a small rural town with my most frequent journey being around 14 miles to the nearest large town - this on speed limiting country roads. According to the temperature gauge, the engine takes around 10 miles to get to working temperature so certainly no time for a DPF regeneration.

My diesel DPF equipped vehicles have been - Toyota RAV4, Honda CRV, Nissan Qashqai (awful car), SEAT Freetrack, Hyundai iX35, Vauxhall Mokka and Suzuki Vitara. Only ONCE have I had a DPF warning after a year of ownership, and that was on the Qashqai. 20 minutes at 2Krevs plus on  the nearest motorway cleared that. No more warnings in the ensuing year before I PXd.

Up until I owned the Mokka I had no regular long(ish) trips and had NO PROBLEMS. I do now make a 50 mile motorway trip every 4-6 weeks to see friends so this is obviously going to help with the regens.

So my recommendation is NOT to listen to the scaremongers but be aware that the occasional longer trip will be more than adequate to keep things healthy. I find my diesel amazingly responsive at low revs, and even more in Sport mode. I would never consider a normally aspirated petrol engine, nasty, whiny, high revving and gutless until engine reaches screaming mode. I shall however try a turbo petrol engine before making my next purchase just to see if they can match a diesel for low down torque and effortless motorway cruising at less than 2K revs at (shhh) 80mph.

So there's my vote for a diesel, although I suspect the Vitara S will be your likely choice! After 7+ months of ownership the Vitara has quickly become one of my favourites, only beaten by the Hyundai iX35 in my years of diesel ownership. Buy and enjoy!
theforestdweller
theforestdweller

Back to top Go down

Post by Razor120 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:28 pm

Well I currently own a diesel leon. Reports I have read suggest that the Suzuki diesel is noisy what is your experience the frorestdweller? oh and thanks for your view.
Razor120
Razor120

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:23 pm

I too am a diesel owner, and the only occasion I had problems with the dpf was just after buying the car which was a demonstrator. I may go 2 or 3 weeks with just local runs, but then cover 1,000 miles in 3 days. The car is quiet, economic, 67 m.p.g. and responsive. If you have d.p.f. problems just whip the engine up for 15 miles or so; does not have to be a motorway, can even be done in a 30 m.p.h. zone as long as you keep to 2nd, gear.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Razor120 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:37 pm

Cheers John. What's the noise level of the engine like in the cabin when driving?
Razor120
Razor120

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:59 pm

did you have any problems fitting the sharks fin plus did it affect your radio signal.cheers

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:11 pm

Engine noise is negligible bearing in mind you are only rotating at 2,000 r.p.m. at 70 m.p.h. I do feel though that tyre noise is noticeable possibly because I inflate to 41 p.s.I. in order to get that extra 5 ft. 6 " per gallon !!!

I always prefer the diesel and it is incredible that my recent Austria expedition recorded 68.7 m.p.g. start to fininsh. Run of the mill driving will bring that down to 60 m.p.g. of course, and when you hear of petrol owners achieving 43 m.p.g. you do wonder what to get next. But at the end of the day a nice low revving diesel wins the day, but be prepared to use the sport mode when needed.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Razor120 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:10 pm

Thanks for that John much appreciated.
Razor120
Razor120

Back to top Go down

Post by theforestdweller on Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:52 pm

No I don't find the diesel noisy at all. However I must qualify this by saying that I come from a 1.7 diesel Mokka which had a reputation for being slightly agricultural - Vauxhall have now replaced this with what they call a "whisperquiet" 1.6 diesel of more modern design.

Find a dealer that will let you have an unaccompanied test drive of several hours duration and find out for yourself on a variety of roads. I won't tolerate those 10 minute trips round the block with an agitated salesman sitting in the back seat!
theforestdweller
theforestdweller

Back to top Go down

Post by Razor120 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:59 pm

Yeah I'm going get a test drive thanks for the feedback.
Razor120
Razor120

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Souter on Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:24 pm

Ref the shark fin, Very easy to fit, first fix the adhesive pad to the bottom of the fin, then unscrew the mast, connect the cable from the fin to the existing aerial base using the nuts provided.
I used masking tape to mark the mounting position then peel off the lining paper and stick the fin down. Best to do it on a warm day as the adhesive works best when warm.
I have not noticed any drop off in reception after changing the aerial.
PS:- I still think the S is the best buy !
GS
Grumpy Souter
Grumpy Souter

Back to top Go down

Post by Razor120 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:28 pm

Thanks for that think I will definitely invest in a shark fin aerial.
Razor120
Razor120

Back to top Go down

Post by Razor120 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:29 pm

Can you post the link for the shark fin aerial as I then know this one works.
Razor120
Razor120

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Souter on Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:50 pm

I cannot remember which one I bought, I think it was advertised for a BMW.If you go to aliexpress.com and search for shark fin aerials you will get a choice of many types and colours.
All I know is I only paid £3.20 and it works fine.
Hope this helps.
GS
Grumpy Souter
Grumpy Souter

Back to top Go down

Post by Razor120 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:25 pm

OK mate cheers
Razor120
Razor120

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:15 pm

I have tried posting this message twice before, but it seems to delete !!

Razor you may have read under other topics that I bought a 4 month old demonstrator {65 plate } with just 2,600 miles on the clock. I used the Suzuki accredited site. Although gold and black would not have been my first or second choice I was very satisfied at saving nearly £5,000 on the deal, paying just £18.5k and also getting a decent p/e allowance not bettered any where else. Buying this way does also mean you can have an extended trial run in the actual car you are buying, and also avoid any delivery delays.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Razor120 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:30 pm

Thanks for the Info John
Razor120
Razor120

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:20 am

1.6 Petrol SZ5 Allgrip here, average  47mpg knocking around and on more aggressive Yokohama All Terrains and Thule Roof Bar/Basket which i'm sure should not help with fuel economy?

There is a Genuine Suzuki Shark Fin available from Suzuki Australia Sharkfin Antenna Part# 990AA-02025-ZXX to give you an idea of size/style...

Which Vitara? _acc-v10

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Razor120 on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:08 pm

Thanks Karl. If I opted for a SZ5 model as opposed to a Boosterjet do you know if it would impede the sunroof opening?
Razor120
Razor120

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:36 pm

No if anything the normal aerial is larger than the Shark Fin, look forward to your views on your new Vitara

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Razor120 on Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:20 pm

I realise the normal aerial is larger Karl but as the shark fin in longer (fitting on the roof) just wondered when the panoramic sunroof was fully open if it would hit it or not as it has to retract over the roof.
Razor120
Razor120

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum