Strange Noise from DDiS........

Go down

Strange Noise from DDiS........ Empty Strange Noise from DDiS........

Post by jbo83 on Mon May 16, 2016 8:48 am

Morning All,

A strange noise has developed from my DDiS in the last week. It's very hard to explain the type of noise but it is only apparent at 1800/1900rpm and heard in 3rd,4th 5th & 6th Gears & disappears before 2000rpm. It's hard to determine whether it is an induction/engine noise or from something vibrating - either way it is equally as annoying! To me, it sound like it is coming from the rear passenger side. I should also mention that the noise is not apparent when the vehicle is stationary and engine revs brought to 1800/1900rpm.

The best way I can describe it as is like a faint rumple strip/humming noise.

I had it up to my dealer on Saturday morning who could clearly hear the noise when taking for a test drive and upon driving another DDiS they had, confirmed that it did not have the same noise. They checked over the vehicle and were still at a loss to what it could be. They are going to contact Suzuki to see if they have an idea.

Have any other DDiS owners noticed this issue?
jbo83
jbo83

Back to top Go down

Strange Noise from DDiS........ Empty Re: Strange Noise from DDiS........

Post by jbo83 on Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:28 am

Guess I must be the only one then. Crying or Very sad
jbo83
jbo83

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:53 am

I don't own a Diesel but working in the motor trade noises can appear to be from one end of the vehicle when it is actually from the other.
My thought on this is that as you say the noise is not there stationary it would suggest it is in the driveline/transmission, also as you say it is in 3rd/4th/5th/6th it again is possibly transmission as the gearbox is a split gear type with 1st/2nd driving on a different shaft/bearings to the gears above
Try getting the car to make the noise and see if you can mask it by pressing the clutch or putting the car in neutral
I have added Green/Red to show the different drive lines within the transmission...

Strange Noise from DDiS........ Ddis_b10

I may well be clutching at straws but the noise in 3rd/4th/5th/6th and only being there when rotational could well point in that direction

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:46 pm

Sounds like the turbo bearing might be grumbling at certain revs. Probably easier to change than a gearbox.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:05 am

graham04 wrote:Sounds like the turbo bearing might be grumbling at certain revs. Probably easier to change than a gearbox.

My first thought too. The boost should start to kick in around there. Could you get a video of the noise?
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by jbo83 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:24 am

Thanks all for your suggestions. I will try and get a video/sound clip next time I drive it although I think it may be hard to pick up on recording.

thumbl
jbo83
jbo83

Back to top Go down

Post by jbo83 on Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:07 am

So.... bit of an update on this. Suzuki have been back in touch with my dealership and they want to have a look at the intercooler/pipework apparently. So the car is being left with them on Saturday and I'm going to be running around in a courtesy vehicle for a few days or so.

I personally still think it is something vibrating as opposed to faulty/damaged but at least they are looking into it.
jbo83
jbo83

Back to top Go down

Post by jbo83 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:54 pm

Car was dropped off to the dealership this morning regarding the strange noise and I managed to get a decent sound recording (.M4a file type) on the drive up. The noise can clearly be heard at 6 seconds and also 23 seconds into the sound clip. Only problem I've got now is knowing how to upload the sound clip.....?? It says my file type is not allowed. lol! scratch Embarassed If someone could assist that would be great!

I have been given a Vitara S to run this week and from initial impressions, am a bit disappointed in it! I expected more from all the hype I hear about them on here. Personal preference I guess but much prefer the power delivery (and MPG) of the diesel.
jbo83
jbo83

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:15 pm

jbo83 wrote:Car was dropped off to the dealership this morning regarding the strange noise and I managed to get a decent sound recording (.M4a file type) on the drive up. The noise can clearly be heard at 6 seconds and also 23 seconds into the sound clip. Only problem I've got now is knowing how to upload the sound clip.....?? It says my file type is not allowed.  lol!  scratch  Embarassed  If someone could assist that would be great!

I have been given a Vitara S to run this week and from initial impressions, am a bit disappointed in it! I expected more from all the hype I hear about them on here. Personal preference I guess but much prefer the power delivery (and MPG) of the diesel.

There's no contest on MPG, the derv will always peg that race. the DDIS throws its power in one lump and I find dies off rather quickly, the S however, will Rev to the red line with full power. As you say, we're all bias, I can assure you that when you get your car back you'll miss it.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by jbo83 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:22 pm

Yes I agree with the power being all the way to the red line. I was just expecting it to feel like it had more power and the lack of torque low in the rev range was extremely apparent. It's much the same with motorcycles - I must prefer a twin these days compared to a screaming 4 cylinder machine. I must be getting old! Smile
jbo83
jbo83

Back to top Go down

Post by jbo83 on Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:44 am

All,

Local dealer is at a loss with this one so I am getting the car back next week. Waiting game for Suzuki now to come back and see what they suggest again.

I have attached the sound file of the noise, you can here it 6 and 23 seconds into the sound clip. It doesn't seem metallic to me, and no, i'm not swinging a light sabre around, even though it sounds like it! Laughing

Thanks,
John
jbo83
jbo83

Back to top Go down

Post by jbo83 on Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:49 am

jbo83 wrote:All,

Local dealer is at a loss with this one so I am getting the car back next week. Waiting game for Suzuki now to come back and see what they suggest again.

I have attached the sound file of the noise, you can here it 6 and 23 seconds into the sound clip. It doesn't seem metallic to me, and no, i'm not swinging a light sabre around, even though it sounds like it!  Laughing

Thanks,
John

Seems it doesnt like .m4a (or I don't know what i'm doing!)
jbo83
jbo83

Back to top Go down

Post by jbo83 on Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:51 am

jbo83 wrote:
jbo83 wrote:All,

I have attached the sound file of the noise, you can here it 6 and 23 seconds into the sound clip. It doesn't seem metallic to me, and no, i'm not swinging a light sabre around, even though it sounds like it!  Laughing

Thanks,
John

Seems it doesnt like .m4a (or I don't know what i'm doing!)
Attachments
Strange Noise from DDiS........ Attachment
New Recording.m4a You don't have permission to download attachments.(202 Kb) Downloaded 43 times
jbo83
jbo83

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:24 pm

That is a strange one! Any update on this one ?
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by jbo83 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:34 pm

Gargreen wrote:That is a strange one! Any update on this one ?

Unfortunately nothing yet, my dealer is still waiting to Suzuki to get back to them to see what they suggest checking next.

If you go underneath the car and tap about at the plastic panels it gives the same kind of noise. When I get time I am going to remove thy said panels and see if the noise still exists. I really don't hold out much hope of my local dealer getting to the root of the problem so might as well have a look myself!
jbo83
jbo83

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:58 pm

Do you get this whilst turning ?
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by jbo83 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:12 am

Gargreen wrote:Do you get this whilst turning ?

It occurs when driving in a straight line or when turning but always when accelerating and the noise is heard when engine speed reaches 1800/1900rpm. If you accelerate hard the noise is not heard, although I think that is because the engine speed goes past 1800/1900rpm so quick you cannot hear the noise.
jbo83
jbo83

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:25 am

This may sound daft, though there is a known knock noise that came from the sunroof on the S-Cross which was very deciving. It would sound suspention related but that was the noise running through the body. I believe if you take the light unit out and apply pressure to a few areas when driving it would elliminate the noise. If this was the case, the area was just packed out to stop the componants hitting each other.

Worth a try.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Ulpian on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:36 am

Noises eh!
I had an SCross Diesel and liked it, but the Vitara S is quicker and more responsive. It hasn't got the mid range torque of the Diesel, but it Sport mode it just rockets away from a standstill. The Dirsel has gobs of torque, but by the time it kicks in the S has gone. The S gets from 0 to 62 in 8.2 seconds in sport mode, (automatic),and that's not bad.

I got 42-46 mpg in town in the Diesel and now 34-38 mpg in town in the petrol, but the petrol is definitely much quicker. And I don't have to wait for the DPF to regenerate. And the petrol is cleaner LOL!

Ulpian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down