Suzuki pre-paid service plans and warranty

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Suzuki pre-paid service plans and warranty Empty Suzuki pre-paid service plans and warranty

Post by plunet on Mon May 02, 2016 11:29 am

One of the things that really didn't focus very highly on Suzuki literature, or in the conversations I had with the Suzuki dealers I spoke to were the pre-paid servicing plans. Consequently I know very little about them, other than they exist. Perhaps my customer journey was sub-optimal!

I guess others on here have more experience of these and may have signed up for the New Vitara and other vehicles. Can others offer any comment on the plan and what it offers. Is it a fixed price? Is the plan with a specific dealer or Suzuki itself? Does it offer reasonable value? One of the things that did count against Suzuki in my comparison of brands is the apparent frequency of services that are required.

Also, on a similar subject, how good is the warranty? It seems to be contingent upon having had the vehicle serviced. Is it no-nonsense, or have others who have had Suzuki's previously had the runaround with the warranty?

Thanks!

plunet

Back to top Go down

Suzuki pre-paid service plans and warranty Empty Re: Suzuki pre-paid service plans and warranty

Post by plunet on Mon May 02, 2016 11:59 am

Oh, and this is what the online quote tool gives me:

Services for your Suzuki Vitara S

No of services 3
Total £690.47

Details of the services covered

S1 Service 1 : 9000 miles/12 months Due in February 2017
Items included:
5W30 ACEA C3
Gasket
Service Base Cost
Oil Filter
Screenwash

S2 Service 2 : 18000 miles/24 months Due in December 2017
Items included:
5W30 ACEA C3
Brake Fluid
Gasket
Service Base Cost
Oil Filter
Screenwash

S3 Service 3 : 27000 miles/36 months
Due in October 2018
Items included
5W30 ACEA C3
Air Filter
Cabin Filter
Gasket
Service Base Cost
Oil Filter
Screenwash
Spark Plug APK416

plunet

Back to top Go down

Suzuki pre-paid service plans and warranty Empty Re: Suzuki pre-paid service plans and warranty

Post by JOHNWALES on Mon May 02, 2016 6:26 pm

My previous 1.6 DDI SX4 SCross came with three inclusive services. I exchanged for the Vitara after only 2 services; and have been advised that my 12,500 mile service will cost me £208 ( diesel remember ) .
I would find the 9,000 mile interval a big negative issue; many manufacturers are now providing 2 yearly intervals. My oil change indicator tells me that the oil should be changed in 10,000 miles which will be at 19,000 miles. But of course it will be changed at 12.5 on the first service. Servicing is a manufacturers way of making money. On a new car I would have thought an oil and filter change every 15,000 miles would be fine; with an annual service starting after 45,000 miles.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK on Mon May 02, 2016 6:50 pm

Bit peeved to find out service is 9000 miles, when I bough mine less than a month ago I did ask as heard it was 9000 but salesman said that is the diesel, the petrols are 12500 mile / one year intervals. Good old salespeople Evil or Very Mad

RichK

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Mon May 02, 2016 8:15 pm

My salesman tried to tell me that the service interval on a diesel was 9,000 miles I put him right. Can understand people being upset about it; I did 32,000 miles in the S Cross in 15 months. It makes you wonder whether regular servicing is practical. Just change the oil and filter every 15000 miles and select any other work you want and forget about the warranty.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Mon May 02, 2016 8:26 pm

Suzuki are very good with their warranty policy. If the vehicle is not serviced correctly or on time the warranty should still stand, though, if an item fails that would have been at least looked at in the proposed service, that item would then be void. For example 18k service on the Alto inclues a brake fluid change, strip down of rear brakes for cleaning/adjustment. Say one rear brake starts to seize and you missed this service then the item would not be covered. But if your bottom arms started to show play they, however would be covered.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Tue May 03, 2016 11:52 am

Owners can save a fortune by adopting a sensible approach to servicing. When mine goes in at the end of the month for a 12.5k, the information panel will tell me I still have 7.5k miles of oil life left. So could I tell the garage not to change the oil and filter and have a credit on my bill ?
Reminds me of a farmer friend I had back in the seventies who bought a new Hillman Minx. He had it for about 3 years, never serviced and 40,000 miles on the clock. When the family emigrated to Australia they left the car with me until a passage could be booked for it. I then drove the car to Liverpool for it to be loaded on a ship. That car drove like nothing on earth, acceleration perfect, and the engine was as sweet as a bag of sugar.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Tue May 03, 2016 12:53 pm

I guess it would depend how friendly your garage is, John. suzuki would say, like most manufactures It will need to be done within a certain time or milage, which ever comes first. And thats the catching line that gets everyone.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Tue May 03, 2016 4:04 pm

The service plan quote from my local dealer was more expensive than the quote I got from the Suzuki web site. Compared to other manufacturers they seem very expensive, I will probably look elsewhere for my servicing. As long as they are approved and use genuine Suzuki parts the warranty is not an issue. 12500 miles or 12 months for me .

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK on Tue May 03, 2016 4:33 pm

So is it 9000 miles for petrol and 12500 intervals for diesel ?

RichK

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil on Tue May 03, 2016 4:48 pm

It's 12,500/12 months for petrol. I'm sure a rice burner owner will be along shortly to confirm 9,000 for them. :-)

Phil

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Tue May 03, 2016 4:56 pm

All services are 12 month or mileage limit, whatever comes first.

a quick run down is as follows.

Derv - 12,500 miles

Boosterjet - 9,000 Miles

Petrol - 12,500 Miles
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK on Tue May 03, 2016 9:07 pm

Thanks for that, mine is 12500 miles then, I was looking at the wrong page for non EU cars in the manual, take back what I said about salespeople clown

RichK

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Tue May 03, 2016 10:35 pm

JOHNWALES wrote:Owners can save a fortune by adopting a sensible approach to servicing.   When mine goes in at the end of the month for a 12.5k,  the information panel will tell me I still have 7.5k miles of oil life left.   So could I tell the garage not to change the oil and filter and have a credit on my bill ?
Reminds me of a farmer friend I had back in the seventies who bought a new Hillman Minx.   He had it for about 3 years,  never serviced and 40,000 miles on the clock.  When the family emigrated to Australia they left the car with me until a passage could be booked for it.  I then drove the car to Liverpool for it to be loaded on a ship.   That car drove like nothing on earth,  acceleration perfect,  and the engine was as sweet as a bag of sugar.
With all due respect, In my opinion the money saved by not changing the oil and filter at twelve months regardless of mileage covered is a very false economy, considering the purchase price of £18,000 to £21,000 or thereabouts an oil and filter change is peanuts, as one who has spent his entire working life as a motor mechanic I can assure you that especially since the advent of these stupid (in my opinion) exhaust gas recirculation valves clean oil has never been more important, especially with some manufacturers 2 year 20,000 mile intervals, a marketing ploy if ever there was, the muck and crud we have to clean out of the inlet manifold/EGR systems even on quite young low mileage vehicles has to be seen to be believed, especially when you factor in the labour costs of removing inlet manifolds due to restricted access on modern vehicles, mine will get an oil and filter change every 6,000 miles for sure.
When I was a young lad, before mains electricity came to our village we had a Petter diesel generator, my dad was no engineer (he was a sub postmaster) but always changed the oil, air and fuel filters himself, his saying was " keep the air, oil and fuel clean and you will never have problems"  words that have stuck with me ever since, anyway just my two pennyworth  you pays your money etc, Regards Roger.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Wed May 04, 2016 9:02 am

Roger, as a matter of interest I have always changed my oil and oil filter at the specified intervals; occasionally inside them. I was only investigating the possibilities and views of members into extending these intervals in the interests of economy. Several mechanics have told me that modern oils are made to last for much longer periods. What worries me of course is do garages use this premium oil or bulk oils of lesser quality.

It is great to have an independent view on this topic and I thank you for this Roger. I have digested your comments and will continue to follow service plans. Kind regards, John

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed May 04, 2016 9:10 am

HILLCLIMBER wrote: " keep the air, oil and fuel clean and you will never have problems"  

AMEN!! Suzuki pre-paid service plans and warranty Templi10

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by theforestdweller on Wed May 04, 2016 10:29 am

JOHNWALES wrote:What worries me of course is do garages use this premium oil or bulk oils of lesser quality.
Do what I do - take your own oil when the service is due. For my last vehicle, a Vauxhall Mokka, I was paying less than half the price the garage charged for the same oil. I always ask for a breakdown of the service costs first, so I can then subtract the price of their oil from the final bill. Avoids any confusion or "mistakes" Evil or Very Mad Exclamation
theforestdweller
theforestdweller

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Wed May 04, 2016 4:22 pm

Not a bad idea Forestdweller, but it does cross my mind that the garage could be peeved at your attitude and still put in bulk oil, and keep the good stuff for themselves.
What I would like to see is an observation area where you can watch what is going on; damn it if we are spending £200 for 90 minutes work that is not a lot to ask.
I give strict instructions not to touch the windscreen washer nor the tyre pressures, both of which I monitor on a daily basis.

I remember getting a Subaru Justy serviced many years ago and being charged for four sparking plugs - the Justy had 3 cylinders !!!

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:09 pm

JOHNWALES wrote:Roger,  as a matter of interest I have always changed my oil and oil filter at the specified intervals;  occasionally inside them.   I was only investigating the possibilities and views of members into extending these intervals in the interests of economy.  Several mechanics have told me that modern oils are made to last for much longer periods.     What worries me of course is do garages use this premium oil or bulk oils of lesser quality.

It is great to have an independent view on this topic and I thank you for this Roger.   I have digested your comments and will continue to follow service plans.   Kind regards,  John

Sorry John, I meant to reply at the time, yes modern oils have improved no doubt about it but the size of oil filters seems to have reduced in many cases and some of the paper ones we remove seem to have imploded for want of a better word, the paper seems very brittle almost to the point of crumbling for some reason, as to the correct grades for each vehicle this is absolutely vital especially the low ash types on modern diesels, off the top of my head we keep 5-30 semi synthetic, 5-30 full synthetic, 5-40 full synthetic, 10-40 full and semi, 15-40 for some of the higher mileage older cars and that`s without getting in special oils as required, the oil specification books are well used I assure you, sadly long gone are the days when we used Duckhams 20-50 in just about  everything!
As far as my boss is concerned if a customer wants to use his own oil that`s absolutely fine and if you don`t trust the mechanic to use your oil you are definitely using the wrong garage, the trust between you and the mechanic/technician who works on your car is no different to that between yourself and your doctor, we both have your life in our hands!
As for viewing the work on your vehicle why not? I realise working in a small village workshop as I do it`s a much easier than in a large dealership with more vehicles moving around and the attendant health and safety implications, I hate it when the customer has to deal with a receptionist rather than the person actually working on their car, symptoms differ considerably in translation,
On the subject of oil improvements, back in the late 70`s I was speed hillclimbing with an MG Midget with the BMC A series engine, in full race trim this engine would eat camshaft followers like you would not believe, by the end of the season they were scrap, sometimes we had to change them earlier, after a chance meeting with a Mobil employee I was given a quantity of Mobil SHC, it looked , smelt and felt like brake fluid, when I poured it into the engine in February I could hear it running into the sump!!, on startup the oil pressure was lower but never varied from cold to hot and that engine never had a cam follower change again in my custody or the two years after.
Subsequently I ran a 1600 Ford crossflow engine in a single seater and Mobil gave me some oil to test which turned out to be Mobil 1, I can say I was using that before Frank Williams Grand Prix were!, at the end of the season we were invited to Mobil`s research unit at Canvey Island where they stripped and examined the engine for wear and showed us how oils were tested, that was an interesting day out indeed, I doubt whether a country yokel like me could gain access to the research department today, sorry for the long post folks but thought it might be of some interest, but whatever happens get to know the person working on your car and if you are happy ask for them every time, believe me when a customer trusts you and asks for you by name it makes it all seem worthwhile, Kind regards Roger
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:44 pm

Thanks very much ( belatedly ) for that very comprehensive and interesting reply Hillclimber - John

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by sundodger on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:51 am

As my own very short penny worth & as an ex RN marine engineer, an engine may be somewhat forgiving of oil that has gone slightly out of spec....A turbo isn't.

sundodger

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:01 pm

I have just looked on the Suzuki site for a service quote. After putting in my reg and identifying the correct car it asked me to pick the transmission eg 4WD YE81S or 4WD21S. Where do I find out which is mine? The 21 is about £50 cheaper than the 81. Also the quoted 1st service is £175 a full £100 cheaper than the original quote from my dealer. Have Suzuki dropped their prices to fall in line with other manufacturers.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:55 pm

YE21S is 2WD Vitara Graham and YD21S is the 4WD (AllGrip)

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil on Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:13 pm

graham04 wrote: Also the quoted 1st service is £175 a full £100 cheaper than the original quote from my dealer. Have Suzuki dropped their prices to fall in line with other manufacturers.

Does that include oil,filter,VAT etc?
I had the 1st 12 month service back end of November and it was £185.66 including everything except the courtesy car admin fee of £10. It also includes free AA membership for the year.

Phil

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:22 pm

Thanks Karl I looked at the 3 options it gives me. It knows the car is a 1.6 petrol auto allgrip but still gives 3 options 1 4WD YE81S, 2 2WD YD21S, 3 4WD YE21S. I suspect the 81 is the TSS diesel version and is more expensive than the 21 versions which are both priced the same. I assume that is because of the fuel filter change etc. The reason for it asking for one to be selected is odd when they should know already.

Phil there was no mention of a courtesy car in the blurb, so the admin fee for a courtesy car is as you say an add on if required. Cheers
I am beginning to think that the original 1st service quote of £279 was a typo.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next