Tyre pressures

Go down

Tyre pressures Empty Tyre pressures

Post by RichK on Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:14 pm

My tyre pressures are what the car was delivered with, 41psi which book says is ECO. Seems very high to me as comfort is 33 psi I think. Why is ECO so high a pressure. Is it best to drop them down ?

RichK

Back to top Go down

Tyre pressures Empty Re: Tyre pressures

Post by Tall bloke on Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:46 pm

I have dropped mine down to 34 all around and the ride is significantly better. All well and good stating a higher pressure for Eco but with higher pressure and not much weight the tyres will wear faster. You then have to balance the saving in fuel costs over the cost of new tyres and of course the risk of loss of grip with a small contact area.

Last edited by Tall bloke on Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tall bloke
Tall bloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:50 pm

On ECO I found the oe 17" continentals very choppy/noisy and lowered them to the comfort setting
With the 16" Yokohama's I now have fitted I set them to ECO pressures and they were still more comfortable than the oe Conti's

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:28 pm

Thanks both, will drop them down to comfort mode as was finding a bit of tyre noise, hopefully it will reduce it.

RichK

Back to top Go down

Post by zebih on Mon May 23, 2016 9:54 am

Hi guys,
This spring after of tyre changings I noticed that tyre pressure on board computer is not set at all (showing blank spaces on all four tyes) . I tried to set by myself but no sucsses . Any idea do I have to go to the official service garage or it can be done by ourselves.

zebih

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil on Mon May 23, 2016 10:23 am

The car needs to be moving for 10 minutes before it registers tyre pressures according to the manual.

Phil

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Prokopas on Mon May 23, 2016 10:52 am

I second what Phil says as it happened to me when i changed tyres.
Prokopas
Prokopas

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Mon May 23, 2016 11:38 am

Like everyone else, I dropped mine down to Comfort. Much better ride and less road noise,
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon May 23, 2016 12:02 pm

Did you drop the pressures before adjusting the computer?
Swapping wheels and tyres and pressures several times I did have an instance where the tpms would not register and had blank squares even after 10mins+ driving
To rectify I had to blow the tyres back up to eco, drive a distance to calibrate, adjust the computer to comfort and then lower the pressures

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Mon May 23, 2016 1:37 pm

I got the lads to do it for me, Karl. TPMS went off and I had a screw in the tyre. For once I didn't have to get my hands dirty.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by zebih on Mon May 23, 2016 1:40 pm

To be honest , I changed tyres almost month ago and didn't check pressure till now .
yesterday when entered board computer to check pressure ,since like most of us I had feeling that pressure is to high, I found blank squares even if I drove almost month computer didn't calibrate pressure.So that why I'm confused

zebih

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon May 23, 2016 1:53 pm

zebih wrote:.....So that why I'm confused

Try setting the pressures to 41psi front and 38psi rear and see if the computer registers, if not try the comfort 33psi front and rear

Hopefully one of the above settings will register with the TPMS computer and allow you to change in future

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zebih on Mon May 23, 2016 2:40 pm

Thanks for the tip..I'll try

zebih

Back to top Go down

Post by zebih on Tue May 24, 2016 12:30 pm

Karl,
It works now , thanks for your suggestions

zebih

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue May 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Great news zebih, glad it worked thumbl

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Tue May 31, 2016 8:38 pm

Perhaps it is better to get the dealer to fit tyres. TPMS is a nightmare particularly if you are trying to balance the pressure on all 4 tyres. You have to leave the engine running or the reading is lost.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue May 31, 2016 11:02 pm

I have had no problems changing tyres but there is a pattern that you have to keep to

Before changing tyres check what setting is on the dash and that the tyre pressures are the same
Fitting a second set of wheels (Winter/Summer) ensure the tyres are the same pressure as the dash/tyres as above
Once you have travelled with the above setting and the TPMS has calibrated you can the look at adjusting the tyre pressures to either comfort or ECO
Starting with the TPMS setting on the dash adjust this to the required setting, switch off the ignition and then adjust the tyre pressures
Again you will have to travel a short distance for the computer and tyres to calibrate

The only time I have had an issue with the TPMS was when I adjusted the tyre pressure first, allowed the TPMS to throw a warning and then it would not let me adjust the setting on the dash board, the only way to rectify this was to adjust the tyre pressure back to ECO, calibrate and follow the above sequence

I have several tyre pressures gauges, expensive ones from Snap on and Viair but the surprise one I have found to work and spot on the Vitara TPMS reading is this £4.99 one from Halfords...

Tyre pressures Halfor10

It seems to have been discontinued at Halfords but is still available in other brands such as TorQ from B&Q at £6.49 and again I can vouch for being spot on as I keep one at work thumbl

Karl

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony's here on Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:32 pm

Yesterdays low temps threw up a tyre low pressure warning, from summer running of approx. 33psi all round I suddenly had three 30 psi's & one warning low at 29psi, inflated all round to 33psi then went for short run to clear warning. I do wonder if some of the technology available on cars nowadays is an answer to problems that don't exist Question

Tony's here

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil on Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:18 pm

Blame the Americans or more especially Firestone who had a problem with tread separation causing rollovers and deaths in the hundreds as a direct result in the 1990s.

Phil

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by michomauricio on Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:27 pm

Interesting enough, all Vitara models from Mexico do not come with TPMS. Although my previous car did have it, I really don't miss it that much.
michomauricio
michomauricio

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony's here on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:20 pm

Would rather have forfeited this particular technology & gained speed camera & or ongoing speed notification on the GPS.

Tony's here

Back to top Go down

Post by nib4722 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:59 am

You can now have speed notification on the GPS . Asked dealer to do the 1850 update on the Bosch head unit when they did recall update , was FOC and now gives speed limit on screen. Bear in mind speed limits , especially in rural areas , are constantly being changed so do take notice of road signs aswell.

nib4722

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down